Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Shimano Frame

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jimsl78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano Frame

    I have been looking for a suitable frame and fork to use up some "take off parts" I've accumulated over the past year and recently found this frame. It has Shimano "Aero" decals and the dropouts have Shimano stampings. I know that Shimano never made frames so I think this might be Tange steel? It is chromed with some pretty fancy lug work and braze ons. There is no serial number. The seller claims it was a limited production used to promote the 600 groupset. Can anybody confirm this? Is there any value in this?shimno.JPGshimano.JPG because I'm considering removing the decals and building it up "unbranded"

  2. #2
    Senior Member andr0id's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave the Shimano stickers on and build it up with Campy.

  3. #3
    Mote of Dust degan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my memory serves there was a similar bike posted somewhat recently.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    9,737
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How much does the seller want? You can probably do better esp. if the S believes it has "collector" value.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Seabass_First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    1994 Colnago master, 1973 Colngo Super Track, 1980s Conago Super, 1980 Torpado Beta, 90s Fuji,
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it... i say buy it and build it up with areo stuff!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jimsl78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    Leave the Shimano stickers on and build it up with Campy.
    I have a Shimano 600 groupset, with Ambrosio wheels and Cinelli drop bar. I don't care for these decals unless this frame has significant value.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jimsl78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    How much does the seller want? You can probably do better esp. if the S believes it has "collector" value.
    (I already bought it.) just trying to determine if it has any value.

  8. #8
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    9,737
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why would an unknown frame of uncertain provenance have significant value because of a few random stickers that you can buy cheap off the Net?

  9. #9
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    9,737
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsl78 View Post
    (I already bought it.) just trying to determine if it has any value.
    Remove the stickers, build the bike, have fun. It looks like a nice frame but the stickers do not add collector's value to the bike.
    Last edited by bikemig; 01-17-16 at 10:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    7,863
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsl78 View Post
    I have been looking for a suitable frame and fork to use up some "take off parts" I've accumulated over the past year and recently found this frame. It has Shimano "Aero" decals and the dropouts have Shimano stampings. I know that Shimano never made frames so I think this might be Tange steel? It is chromed with some pretty fancy lug work and braze ons. There is no serial number. The seller claims it was a limited production used to promote the 600 groupset. Can anybody confirm this? Is there any value in this?shimno.JPGshimano.JPG because I'm considering removing the decals and building it up "unbranded"

    Shimano certainly had the resources to have "no-name" frames built to display parts at trade shows. Without having documented history of the frame from a trusted source, there's no way to distinguish one from a generic frame with Shimano stickers on it.

    If this frame is intact, straight, and fits you... build it and ride it.
    Jeff Wills

    Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

  11. #11
    PM me your cotters francophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by degan View Post
    If my memory serves there was a similar bike posted somewhat recently.
    This hurr? how to check genuine Shimano frame ....

  12. #12
    Senior Member Seabass_First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    1994 Colnago master, 1973 Colngo Super Track, 1980s Conago Super, 1980 Torpado Beta, 90s Fuji,
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimsl78 View Post
    I have a Shimano 600 groupset, with Ambrosio wheels and Cinelli drop bar. I don't care for these decals unless this frame has significant value.
    Honestly, its hard tell from the pictures, but I think striping the frame of the stickers would ruin any value it has or WILL have. If you just want a cheap frame to build up i can trade you a much higher end frame but with out as much novelty. I think you have a really special frame. don't strip it. Your's might be the only example out there (or one of very few) and once you destroy the stickers it will be gone forever.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Seabass_First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    1994 Colnago master, 1973 Colngo Super Track, 1980s Conago Super, 1980 Torpado Beta, 90s Fuji,
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    Remove the stickers, build the bike, have fun. It looks like a nice frame but the stickers do not add collector's value to the bike.
    disagreed.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please contact me via email, not private messages.
    The Bike is Better than the Rider,
    Medici, RRB, Trek 520, Jim Redcay, Conti, Schwinn Volare, Atala Super Professional
    and projects: Schwinn Super Sport, Peugeot PX-10, Trek 660, something unnamed

  15. #15
    Senior Member bikemig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle Earth (aka IA)
    My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Posts
    9,737
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabass_First View Post
    disagreed.
    Post 10 pretty much nails it. The stickers don't prove anything and they are easy enough to recreate if the OP wants to do so one day.

  16. #16
    Mote of Dust degan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by francophile View Post

    No actually, though the bike in the link you posted is the same as the one I'm thinking of. The thread featured a complete bike. Unfortunately using the keywords "shimano" and "frame" in the search turns up approximately 1,000,000 threads.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift.

  17. #17
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see anything that indicates it is AERO other than decals. The tubes don't look oval or teardrop shaped. The braze-on's are all wrong for Shimanos aero groups. It may be a very nice frame otherwise.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the braze ons for fenders/racks would indicate this isn't a high end racing frame. But it might be a chromed mid level frame with the paint stripped off and the stickers added. Fork crown slopes a bit so probably late 80s. Looks nice, I would take off the stickers, build it and ride it.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bikerider007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    AZ -Valley of the Sun
    My Bikes
    ...reflect my personality. Don't know if thats a good thing though ;-)
    Posts
    629
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not remove unless I knew for sure they weren't legit. It can add value if they are and they don't look in bad shape to me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.
    Posts
    3,991
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would take a special kind of collector to put much value on this mid-grade frame over its utility. If you could find that collector, sell it to him and get a better frame to build. Maybe consider taking up Seabass' offer? This one doesn't look like it has the 'squashed' tubing of other (Yamaguchi built) Shimano Aeros I've seen online, so maybe it is just a re-stickered generic frame? Here's a link of one I'm talking about, with the squashed tubes: Picasa Web Albums - Jeff Bell - Shimano Bicycle (it a gallery of ten photos, so you can click through if you want to see more than just the first one)

    It's hard to see from the pix, but it doesn't look like the chrome is in very good shape, either. Detailed pics would be a big help, as usual.
    Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 01-18-16 at 04:28 PM.
    ● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1972 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1982 Bianchi Limited ● 1983 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Trek 600 ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1985 Raleigh Elkhorn ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 DeRosa Professional ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ●1996 Kona Lava Dome ● And a Bike to Be Named Later ●

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jimsl78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
    It would take a special kind of collector to put much value on this mid-grade frame over its utility. If you could find that collector, sell it to him and get a better frame to build. Maybe consider taking up Seabass' offer? This one doesn't look like it has the 'squashed' tubing of other (Yamaguchi built) Shimano Aeros I've seen online, so maybe it is just a re-stickered generic frame? Here's a link of one I'm talking about, with the squashed tubes: Picasa Web Albums - Jeff Bell - Shimano Bicycle (it a gallery of ten photos, so you can click through if you want to see more than just the first one)

    It's hard to see from the pix, but it doesn't look like the chrome is in very good shape, either. Detailed pics would be a big help, as usual.
    Actually the picture is from the sellers ad and it's before the bike was cleaned and polished.
    The chrome is actually in nice shape. It doesn't have "squashed tubes" like the pic you gave a link to.
    I will get some detail pics showing the lug work and braze on's. This by no means is just a generic frame. Also it's not my "holy grail" bike. (I already have that and then some) I'ts just a frame worthy of inheriting a nice take off groupset left from another other build. Thanks all for the info. I will proceed to build it up with mostly shimano 600 parts and leave the stickers on for now. After, if I decide I really like this frame I will strip it down and paint it leaving it un-branded, just leaving a little chrome bling on the chainstay, lugs, and fork.

  22. #22
    PM me your cotters francophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    768
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by degan View Post
    No actually, though the bike in the link you posted is the same as the one I'm thinking of. The thread featured a complete bike. Unfortunately using the keywords "shimano" and "frame" in the search turns up approximately 1,000,000 threads.
    I recall the article you're talking about, from like 2-4 months ago though, I feel like (I have no concept of time, though).

    This is usually where I go to Google versus the forum search feature. More granular results. You may need to re-submit this search by tapping the magnifying glass once the link loads. https://www.google.com/webhp?q=site:...imano+frame%22

    Not saying you'll find it there, but that was the best I could get. I swear the frame in the thread I think you're talking about had Shimano brand sticker on the DT and ST, it was white or chrome (can't recall)?

  23. #23
    Senior Member Seabass_First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    1994 Colnago master, 1973 Colngo Super Track, 1980s Conago Super, 1980 Torpado Beta, 90s Fuji,
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike made ma think of this thread, its a bike made by (what i know as) a rim manufacturer.

    IMG_0700.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0702.jpg

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Southeast Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have seen a few bikes branded as Shimano, probably for promotional reasons. Go ahead and build it with the stickers on, you can always remove them later.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Jimsl78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    mostly old steel 70's 80's 90's
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen this on a frame before, check out the detail pics of the brace behind the bottom bracket, the rear brake bridge and the water bottle bosses. The chrome actually looks better without the flash.
    IMG_20160119_193215.jpgIMG_20160119_193257.jpgIMG_20160119_193353.jpg
    This is why I thought it might be special
    Last edited by Jimsl78; 01-19-16 at 08:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •