Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ID this Schwinn World Tourist please

    I just bought a mint mint condition woman's Schwinn WOrld Tourist for my daughter at a thrift store....$39.99. Frame says made in Taiwan for Schwinn of Chicago. Has a Shimano Lark II rear der, and crank says Adamas OX, side pull brakes, Schwinn generator for front and rear lights (still works), fenders, 10 speeds with "toggle" type of shifters near the grips. I found a number (serial?) stamped near the rear axle on the frame..G0483. Has original tires in excellent condition and very cool "burnt orange" paint with hand painted yellow outlines around the fork crown, where the tubes connect, etc. She loves it as it rides well with a classy look.
    Anyone know when this bike was made? Thanks to all!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the "search" function, you will find a number of threads discussing how to "decode" the serial numbers. I don't know how well that system works for the Taiwan Schwinns. From your description, the bike sounds as if it is from the late '80's.

    I bought a Taiwan Schwinn three speed for a friend. It was about ten pounds lighter than similar models that were made in Chicago, with a better frame, and good quality rims, hubs, and components. There are a lot of these fifteen, twenty, and twenty-five year old Schwinn's still on the road, riding as good as new. A much better ride than the stuff being sold at Wal-Mart.

  3. #3
    Keeper of the SLDB BobHufford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    My Bikes
    '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.
    Posts
    1,629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200
    I found a number (serial?) stamped near the rear axle on the frame..G0483.
    Built by Giant (Taiwan) in April of 1983.

    Bob Hufford
    Springfield, MO

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan and Bob, thank you. I did a search here and found some very good information on Schwinn. As a bike rider with 4 bikes, I am impressed by the quality of this bike, seems to be well made and strong! My daughter, 20 and college student, loves this bike as the riding position is very upright and comfortable. It appears this bike was rarely ridden...should I have a bike shop clean, repack hubs? I have polished everything and it's spotless....the rims are heavy cromed and bright.
    Now I begin my search for a men's model...........
    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200
    Alan and Bob, thank you. I did a search here and found some very good information on Schwinn. As a bike rider with 4 bikes, I am impressed by the quality of this bike, seems to be well made and strong! My daughter, 20 and college student, loves this bike as the riding position is very upright and comfortable. It appears this bike was rarely ridden...should I have a bike shop clean, repack hubs? I have polished everything and it's spotless....the rims are heavy cromed and bright.
    Now I begin my search for a men's model...........
    Thanks again!
    Here's the 1983 World Tourist catalog page.

    - Stan

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scooper, many thanks for the brochure post. Her bike looks exactly like the pic, same color too.

  7. #7
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200
    Scooper, many thanks for the brochure post. Her bike looks exactly like the pic, same color too.
    You're very welcome. The color is "Chestnut".
    - Stan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •