Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: dating a masi?

  1. #1
    butt_butter!!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    GT GTB, makino njs, miyata 610, serotta colorado II
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    dating a masi?

    i have read a fair amount of the masi websites on-line (i.e., most of the stuff at / referenced by http://www.bates-lee.com/masi/), but was still having trouble figuring out the date of this frame.

    the seller sent me these (rough) pictures:





    any thoughts?

  2. #2
    butt_butter!!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    GT GTB, makino njs, miyata 610, serotta colorado II
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more pic...


  3. #3
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm, she's nice. If I weren't married, I'd be looking to date a bike like that too.


    OK Sorry - and I'm afraid I have no idea about your bike. Perhaps there is some info on www.classicrendezvous.com though

    Ed
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  4. #4
    butt_butter!!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    GT GTB, makino njs, miyata 610, serotta colorado II
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Holland
    mmm, she's nice. If I weren't married, I'd be looking to date a bike like that too.


    OK Sorry - and I'm afraid I have no idea about your bike. Perhaps there is some info on www.classicrendezvous.com though

    Ed
    yeah, i hit CR a bunch.
    something just seems weird.
    the fork style seems a bit off...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spec'd and imported by Masi USA, built in Italy, possibly painted domesticly, one of two second tier frames, other being the Gran Corsa, don't know the pecking order for sure. The images would not fully load for me, so I did not see the serial number, might have the system of: quarter of the year, by alpha (a being the first quarter) followed by the last two digits of the year, then a number of for the X frame for that quarter.

    I suspect mid later 80's, these bikes fight for respect but appear quite nice. At this point they are probably undervalued.

  6. #6
    butt_butter!!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    GT GTB, makino njs, miyata 610, serotta colorado II
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage
    Spec'd and imported by Masi USA, built in Italy, possibly painted domesticly, one of two second tier frames, other being the Gran Corsa, don't know the pecking order for sure. The images would not fully load for me, so I did not see the serial number, might have the system of: quarter of the year, by alpha (a being the first quarter) followed by the last two digits of the year, then a number of for the X frame for that quarter.

    I suspect mid later 80's, these bikes fight for respect but appear quite nice. At this point they are probably undervalued.
    ahhhh, seller claimed 1970s.
    the serial didn't follow what i have seen by Brian Baylis.
    it is "60R077". any broad shots at an approx. value?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the seller thinks he has an exclusive Italian Masi of the Vigorelli... good luck

    Value is hard to say from the images, I see probably Simplex (could be Modolo badged Simplex) retrofriction shifters, a nice headset, probable nice bar & stem combo mid quality seatpost and who knows what saddle, possibly Dia Compe brakes maybe even Universal 77's Don't see drivetrain, or wheels.

    Does it fit?

  8. #8
    butt_butter!!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    madison, wi
    My Bikes
    GT GTB, makino njs, miyata 610, serotta colorado II
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage
    If the seller thinks he has an exclusive Italian Masi of the Vigorelli... good luck

    Value is hard to say from the images, I see probably Simplex (could be Modolo badged Simplex) retrofriction shifters, a nice headset, probable nice bar & stem combo mid quality seatpost and who knows what saddle, possibly Dia Compe brakes maybe even Universal 77's Don't see drivetrain, or wheels.

    Does it fit?
    it seemingly fits me. however, it is a seller from a different city, so i haven't seen the bike first hand...

    the seller didn't pitched it as a italian masi ever. but def said, it was a 70s masi. they weren't looking for anything to high in terms of money ($400 for the frame + $375 for some edco / campy components). however, the paint isn't perfect (and with my uncertainity over a 70s v. 80s masi, it is doubteful i will buy it).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,408
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way is it a 70's bike. Later 80's if anything. Be nice rider for $300-$400 if the frame is clean.

  10. #10
    vjp
    vjp is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid 80's at the earliest. Front braze-on derailleur hangers appeared around 84, the paint job looks more late 80's to me personally. I'd still buy it if it was reasonable, but it isn't a model the " mazis' " dig.

    vjp

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reference this:

    http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Cat.../masi-tsd4.jpg

    Pretty darn close I think.

    Note the year, 1988

    The seller is misinformed.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Cat.../masi-tsd4.jpg

    that might be better, it seemed to drop some characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •