Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    I am the Eggman Mooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    old bikes; new homes

    Every year one of the organizations in our town delivers a bunch of Christmas presents. This includes a bunch of donated bikes. Tonight was the night we worked on fixing them.
    Maybe half are x-mart bikes. Probably a third are BMX or other youth type bikes.
    But hidden here and there are some neat old things. Nothing really special this year, one really nice Suburban (needed tires), and a Continental. A couple of lugged frame Free Spirits, a Nishiki with a cottered crank, a couple of late 80's Trek MTB's.
    One bike I found particularly interesting. An 87 Schwinn Collegiate. I believe it was one made by Giant with the Sturmey AWC, and it had a funky plastic shifter. Use the lever to shift up, push the button to shift down. Oddly large and square.
    Anyway, a fun evening. Hopefully some of the recipients will enjoy them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good deeds

    Good thing your doing!

  3. #3
    Senior Member FRANKIEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Indiana
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I mentioned to you that I done that one year as well. It is great fun, although I had trouble being too thourough with the bikes. They finally told me to make sure they'll go forward and stop, then move on. Did you bring any leftover goodies home for yourself? I brought home probably 40 or so bikes/frames home that one year. I couldn't stand to see them go to the scrap metal place. BTW, where did they have it this year??

  4. #4
    I am the Eggman Mooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIEJ
    I believe I mentioned to you that I done that one year as well. It is great fun, although I had trouble being too thourough with the bikes. They finally told me to make sure they'll go forward and stop, then move on. Did you bring any leftover goodies home for yourself? I brought home probably 40 or so bikes/frames home that one year. I couldn't stand to see them go to the scrap metal place. BTW, where did they have it this year??
    Frank, it was at the old Nat'l Linen building. When we were done, I looked over the "scrap pile" and asked, then acquired a stem. They did something different this year. Bikes that needed some extra work - odd size tires or cables, but were in otherwise decent shape were set aside and I think the plan is to see if they can be sold to raise some money for the cheer fund. I *think* there was a very nice Continental in that stack.

  5. #5
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    9,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a fella in Durham, NC who refurbishes bikes for urban kids on his own. He's a retired RR engineer. His name is Lewis Days (not sure of last name spelling). I've brought him a few bikes including a nice old Concord. He is so well known around the central NC area, that the local governments bring him abandoned bikes from parks etc. His story has been published in local newspapers and one national publication, AARP I think. The last time I checked with him he's turned around something like 150-180 bikes to urban kids. There must be a special place in God's heart for him.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  6. #6
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,326
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    There's a fella in Durham, NC who refurbishes bikes for urban kids on his own. He's a retired RR engineer. His name is Lewis Days (not sure of last name spelling). I've brought him a few bikes including a nice old Concord. He is so well known around the central NC area, that the local governments bring him abandoned bikes from parks etc. His story has been published in local newspapers and one national publication, AARP I think. The last time I checked with him he's turned around something like 150-180 bikes to urban kids. There must be a special place in God's heart for him.
    There is another one down in the Fayetteville, NC area Moses Mathis also known as The Bicycle Man he has been doing it since the early 90's. According to the website they have donated over 10,000 bicycles since 1991. I know of several church youth groups in the area that have done it on a smaller scale of perhaps 15-30 bikes a year. I guess it is never ending....

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  7. #7
    Senior Member FRANKIEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Indiana
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooo
    Frank, it was at the old Nat'l Linen building. When we were done, I looked over the "scrap pile" and asked, then acquired a stem. They did something different this year. Bikes that needed some extra work - odd size tires or cables, but were in otherwise decent shape were set aside and I think the plan is to see if they can be sold to raise some money for the cheer fund. I *think* there was a very nice Continental in that stack.
    The year I done it, it was unreal the stuff they were going to throw away. Like you said, basically anything that needed tires, cables, chain, etc, all going to the scrap metal place. Glad to see they finally realized that more money could be raised by selling the scrap. It is a really good thing that they do. After you said where it was, I remembered that the prison where I work at sent a work crew there the other day to wrap some of the toys and other "wrappables".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •