Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-06, 05:18 PM   #1
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just some bizzarre Craigslist projects

Not classic, vaugely vintage, but I figured the C&V forum would enjoy these photos more then the fixie forum.

The Trek 830 Antelope was a terribly rusty heap that I bought from a local seller for $5. Had everything but a seatpost and saddle - yet, the only thing reasonably salvagable was the frameset, which required intensive rubbing with polishing compound to bring back to decent condition.

An inspiration this morning gave me the idea to mount the Omni RST shock fork to it when I built it up today. I'm aiming to attract the C-List messengers with this one - it will be a singlespeed when all is said and done. Having a bit of trouble with the bar extension slipping, I believe this is as it requires two bolts that pinch the bar from the bottom. Not sure. Second photo shows it with the bars cut.

The Randor is the quitessential 1980's Bike Boom special, originally equipped with quite a few steel components. This one was being thrown out on trash day about 5-6 months ago - complete with solid rust brakeset, handlebar, and EA3/26X1-3/8"-sized rear wheel. The frame's condition, however, was in stark contrast to the deteriorating components around it.

I decided to see if a spare pair of Ritchey 700Cs would clear the frame, and I was quite happy to see that they did. Fueled by this morning's work on the Trek 830, I instantly got an idea to build a track-inspired fixie out of this thing.

In about 5 minutes, the rusted components had been ripped off of it, and I proceeded to raid the parts bins for some suitable parts. Came up with an AVA bar (left over from the '71 Continental project) that resembles a Cinelli Criterium, a Sakae stem - of which I shoved most of it into the steerer tube, a lone Aero Grand Compe lever, and a spare Huffy saddle and post. Not bad for about 15 minutes of work.

The tough stuff comes later...BB job; digging up suitable cotterless cranks; redishing the rear wheel and installing a BMX flip-flop hub; etc...

Enjoy the photos.

Take care,

-Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trek830_1.jpg (90.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Trek830_2.jpg (65.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Randor_1.jpg (67.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Randor_2.jpg (45.6 KB, 82 views)
__________________

Last edited by cudak888; 12-24-06 at 11:14 PM.
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 11:40 AM   #2
Bryanosaurus
Skippy Macpherson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Old crappy Raleigh Reliant converted SS, Bridgestone MB-5 setup for touring, '84 Trek 560 fixed gear.
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, I saw both of these bikes on craigslist and was trying to figure out who randor was, and ended up finding out from the person who posted it. I'm in Miami visiting and missing my fixie, and was thinking about picking yours up just to have a bike for the time I'm down here, although the ss was more interesting as a nasty weather winter bike, but bringing it back to Chicago? forget it. Instead I picked up an old schwinn super le tour for free. Cool to see someone tinkering in Miami though, I didn't think I'd see that sort of thing down here, this city sucks for cyclists. I also didn't think there'd be much in the way of a messenger community down here, but who knows.
Bryanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 12:57 PM   #3
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus
Haha, I saw both of these bikes on craigslist and was trying to figure out who randor was, and ended up finding out from the person who posted it. I'm in Miami visiting and missing my fixie, and was thinking about picking yours up just to have a bike for the time I'm down here, although the ss was more interesting as a nasty weather winter bike, but bringing it back to Chicago? forget it. Instead I picked up an old schwinn super le tour for free. Cool to see someone tinkering in Miami though, I didn't think I'd see that sort of thing down here, this city sucks for cyclists. I also didn't think there'd be much in the way of a messenger community down here, but who knows.
Yep - considering that it is general Bike Boom stuff, Randor is not a name one can find much on. I was rather surprised, during the test rides, that it rides reasonably decent for a Boom cheap-o.

Only complaint I could find was that the fork tubing is a bit flexy - just a tad too much sideways play for my liking. I'd swap it with a better 700C fork if I had one, but I don't.

Congrats on finding the Super LeTour! I have two women's mixte Super LeTours, and I must say, I'm very impressed by them. If it is a dark blue or silver 23" frame model, let me know if you wish to part with it when you return to Chicago - I've been looking for one to build up into a touring machine for myself.

Miami cycling isn't that bad, if you know what streets to stick to. I have my little complaints here and there, but it isn't TOO terrible.

There are a few messengers in Downtown - I've seen a red Schwinn fixie with flat bars out there before, and I know another fellow who rides a VLW Peugeot as a messenger machine.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 11:29 AM   #4
Bryanosaurus
Skippy Macpherson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Old crappy Raleigh Reliant converted SS, Bridgestone MB-5 setup for touring, '84 Trek 560 fixed gear.
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888
Congrats on finding the Super LeTour! I have two women's mixte Super LeTours, and I must say, I'm very impressed by them. If it is a dark blue or silver 23" frame model, let me know if you wish to part with it when you return to Chicago - I've been looking for one to build up into a touring machine for myself.
It is, unfortunately, an 18.5 inch c-c frame, which is too small for me even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888
Miami cycling isn't that bad, if you know what streets to stick to. I have my little complaints here and there, but it isn't TOO terrible.

There are a few messengers in Downtown - I've seen a red Schwinn fixie with flat bars out there before, and I know another fellow who rides a VLW Peugeot as a messenger machine.
Music to my ears
Bryanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 11:37 AM   #5
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus
It is, unfortunately, an 18.5 inch c-c frame, which is too small for me even.
Could we please still have pictures?

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 12:55 PM   #6
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus
It is, unfortunately, an 18.5 inch c-c frame, which is too small for me even.
Hmm. 19" center to top then, or thereabouts. Small frame, indeed.

Post pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus
Music to my ears
If you're around the Coral Gables area today, I'd head on out and take a ride. Did one earlier today on my '87 Basso - very nice, minimal vehicular traffic. The only PITA out there today are the peds with their dogs on 20 foot leashes.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 10:37 AM   #7
Bryanosaurus
Skippy Macpherson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Old crappy Raleigh Reliant converted SS, Bridgestone MB-5 setup for touring, '84 Trek 560 fixed gear.
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are some pictures of the super le tour I got from my uncle. Took forever because a) I didn't have a camera b) I was in the northern part of florida for the past 4 days.

Attachment 33140

Attachment 33141

Here it be double butted 4130 cr-mo, horridly uncomfortable "comfort" seat (the original seat seems to have gone missing), decals mostly gone, and bent spoke in the rear wheel. I took it for a ride along shark valley the other week and it was a nice trail, although short.

Last edited by Bryanosaurus; 03-10-07 at 01:27 PM.
Bryanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 11:01 AM   #8
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Besides being the smallest Super LeTour I've ever seen, that must be the smallest lug-framed Schwinn roadbike I've ever seen. How in the world do you fit on it?

It's a nice machine though.

Do yourself a favor and pick up an older used road sadde. It'll put a lot less pressure between your crotch as you pedal - as that comfort seat is probably doing to you now. If you're lucky enough to find an old leather saddle (Brooks/Wrights/Ideale/etc) in decent shape, get it. Your back end will thank you.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 11:03 AM   #9
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like something that would fit me.

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 02:37 PM   #10
Bryanosaurus
Skippy Macpherson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Old crappy Raleigh Reliant converted SS, Bridgestone MB-5 setup for touring, '84 Trek 560 fixed gear.
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888
Besides being the smallest Super LeTour I've ever seen, that must be the smallest lug-framed Schwinn roadbike I've ever seen. How in the world do you fit on it?

It's a nice machine though.

Do yourself a favor and pick up an older used road sadde. It'll put a lot less pressure between your crotch as you pedal - as that comfort seat is probably doing to you now. If you're lucky enough to find an old leather saddle (Brooks/Wrights/Ideale/etc) in decent shape, get it. Your back end will thank you.

-Kurt
Oh, I know, I just can't swap the seat post out for any at my disposal because of the seat tube diameter and the rails on the current one are too wide.
I've given up on using it as it's terribly uncomfortable, but yea, it's a nice bike for shorter peoples.
Bryanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 02:44 PM   #11
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanosaurus
Oh, I know, I just can't swap the seat post out for any at my disposal because of the seat tube diameter and the rails on the current one are too wide.
I've given up on using it as it's terribly uncomfortable, but yea, it's a nice bike for shorter peoples.
No need to swap out the post to change the saddle. Just undo the allen key at the top of the saddle where the binder is, and pull the saddle off. Most any other dual-tube rail saddle should work.

Take care,

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 03:04 PM   #12
Bryanosaurus
Skippy Macpherson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Old crappy Raleigh Reliant converted SS, Bridgestone MB-5 setup for touring, '84 Trek 560 fixed gear.
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888
No need to swap out the post to change the saddle. Just undo the allen key at the top of the saddle where the binder is, and pull the saddle off. Most any other dual-tube rail saddle should work.

Take care,

-Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanosaurus
rails on the current one are too wide.
The rails are considerably wider than the rails on the saddle I brought with me. If I had the original seat post this could work, but it's not, this one is actually held in there by a shim because it's diameter is off. Bike is too small to make comfort a concern anyways.
Bryanosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 AM.