Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-06, 04:47 PM   #1
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwinn ??? ID help...

I want to get a bike that has a Schwinn logo on it but it was repainted. It had the O.G. parts like...white suntour accusift 6 speed shifters, crank, drls...and dia-compe brakes

The bike was purple and white and has #L747235 on the BB.

Is it a real Schwinn? What kind was it?
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 04:54 PM   #2
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Bikes:
Posts: 5,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The white stuff makes me think Schwinn Premis, which had such a group Lugged steel, Clumbus Tenax double butted tubing. Manufactured in Greenville, Ms. I believe. Schwinn experts should be along to correct any inaccuracies in my post and add some history, hang on.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 05:09 PM   #3
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...eecf826514.jpg

wow...that is how the guy said it looked....kinda ugly...was it any good?
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 06:59 PM   #4
crazyb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hills of Iowa
Bikes: all diamond frames
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg300
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...eecf826514.jpg

wow...that is how the guy said it looked....kinda ugly...was it any good?
Get rid of that luggage rack thingy and that aero bar crap and it will look a lot better.
If it is a Premis, avery nice riding bike.
crazyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 07:30 PM   #5
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the white Suntour components are Ole, a relatively rare group. Doesn't mean they are monetarily valuable, though they may be to someone. See the current thread on Suntour history. It includes a link to an original Suntour catalogue scan listing the group:

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sun...tourscans.html
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 07:39 PM   #6
raverson
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Bikes:
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up an identical Premis a couple weeks ago on CL. 54cm. White component group with a (correction) Sakae FX crank and SunTour Cyclone derailers. Weinmann semi aero rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6pg3IW8X2KiKaGwD8AAdi9IkybaQ.jpg (44.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by raverson; 12-27-06 at 03:53 AM.
raverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 08:29 PM   #7
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raverson
I just picked up an identical Premis a couple weeks ago on CL. 54cm. White component group with a Sugino crank and SunTour Cyclone derailers. Weinmann semi aero rims.

what S# is on the BB?

Is it true they only made them in 1988?
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 10:34 PM   #8
raverson
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Bikes:
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg300
what S# is on the BB?

Is it true they only made them in 1988?
Looking at the owners manual that came with the bike, copyrighted in 1988, the serial # is J808843. I wouldn't think that was the only year of production for the Premis though.

Pictured is a Peugeot "Nice" that I sold last year that had the exact same components on it. It had a Reynolds 501 tubed frame instead of the Columbus Tenax. It rode very well and the groupset as a whole performed better than I would have expected, especially the Accushift indexing which seemed to shift crisp and smoothly. I haven't had a chance to ride the Schwinn yet, but I hope it performs as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pug 001 (Medium).jpg (68.6 KB, 20 views)
raverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 02:51 PM   #9
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raverson
Looking at the owners manual that came with the bike, copyrighted in 1988, the serial # is J808843. I wouldn't think that was the only year of production for the Premis though.

Pictured is a Peugeot "Nice" that I sold last year that had the exact same components on it. It had a Reynolds 501 tubed frame instead of the Columbus Tenax. It rode very well and the groupset as a whole performed better than I would have expected, especially the Accushift indexing which seemed to shift crisp and smoothly. I haven't had a chance to ride the Schwinn yet, but I hope it performs as well.
1980's Schwinn Road Bike Hierarchy

it may be a one year deal....

it if is...then it makes the bike a bit more cool
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 02:54 PM   #10
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
I think the white Suntour components are Ole, a relatively rare group. Doesn't mean they are monetarily valuable, though they may be to someone. See the current thread on Suntour history. It includes a link to an original Suntour catalogue scan listing the group:

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/sun...tourscans.html
thanks...it makes me kinda want to keep em....
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:18 PM   #11
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok some pics are in...he is asking up to 150 for the bike...






ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:19 PM   #12
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:20 PM   #13
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:21 PM   #14
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:27 PM   #15
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If the last of the four numbers stamped on the headbadge is an 8 (I can't tell for sure, it looks very faint), the bike was assembled on the 129th day of 1988. Looks like a nice bike-
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:49 PM   #16
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:53 PM   #17
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely like those Ole components, and they look to be in good shape. Can't help you on the authenticity, however. If seller claims that photo was of the original bike, before the repaint, I'd be tempted to believe it. $150 seems a decent price, especially if it's been overhauled. But I'd still try to talk him down a bit (haggling is fun!) If I were you, I'd look closely at the paint, in person if possible. Ask how and where it was painted. In that one BB photo taken from above, it looks as if the paint flaked a bit. It's not just a scratch or a gouge, if I'm seeing it right. That's the sign of a poor paint job.

Oh, and I'm reading the headbadge as 3627, which would be 362(nd day of 8)7.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:53 PM   #18
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0592.flv

see if it works...
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:55 PM   #19
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just caught the last photo. Doesn't look like the levers are Ole, and I don't see any white on the rear derailleur, though the photo is a bit grainy, so it looks like you'll be a few components short of a full group.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 09:56 PM   #20
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Oh, and I'm reading the headbadge as 3627, which would be 362(nd day of 8)7.
I believe you're right, I was looking at it upside down. No wonder that "8" looked faint-
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 10:01 PM   #21
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Definitely like those Ole components, and they look to be in good shape. Can't help you on the authenticity, however. If seller claims that photo was of the original bike, before the repaint, I'd be tempted to believe it. $150 seems a decent price, especially if it's been overhauled. But I'd still try to talk him down a bit (haggling is fun!) If I were you, I'd look closely at the paint, in person if possible. Ask how and where it was painted. In that one BB photo taken from above, it looks as if the paint flaked a bit. It's not just a scratch or a gouge, if I'm seeing it right. That's the sign of a poor paint job.

Oh, and I'm reading the headbadge as 3627, which would be 362(nd day of 8)7.

it looks like a bad paint job...but he states that new chain and hubs have been repacked a year ago...no dents...he said the front drl is not working right as it will not hold its spot and slip...
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 10:22 PM   #22
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, as the thread you found places the Premis at about mid-range in the Schwinn line-up, and given the problems you've pointed out (paint, front derailleur), I'd say you have some room to negotiate the price down a bit, especially if you'll be putting money into it. From what I've gathered here on BF, the proprietary Columbus Tenax tubing used for the Premis and other models is underrated, so it's likely to be a decent ride (if in fact it is what the seller claims it is). The Suntour Ole group (though perhaps not complete on this bike) also makes it unique, and maybe worth it to you.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 07:45 PM   #23
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.teamhealthnet.com/team/kirkobee.htm

ha...some pro's x-bike was a premis...
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 07:47 PM   #24
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'
Thread Starter
 
ggg300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006...eterLoftus.htm

hhhmmm as a fixed....
ggg300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.