Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-06, 05:37 PM   #1
kemmer
*****es love tarck
Thread Starter
 
kemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: so many
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this really a Bianchi?

I got as part of a trade, but the previous owner sanded it down for some reason. He told me it's a Bianchi, but he couldn't remember what kind or what tubing it was made of or anything. The tires say Bianchi on them, but that probably doesn't mean much. These are the parts that came with it:

SR bars and stem
turkey wing brakes levers
Dia-compe center pulls
Silstar crankset
Suntour 7-GT derailers

SN is AS10995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1010071.JPG (89.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg s1010072.JPG (91.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg s1010073.JPG (90.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg s1010076.JPG (94.7 KB, 72 views)
__________________
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 05:44 PM   #2
M-theory
Senior Member
 
M-theory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt it...it looks too low-end (sorry), but possibly an old entry-level Asian Bianchi.
M-theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 06:15 PM   #3
kemmer
*****es love tarck
Thread Starter
 
kemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: so many
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-theory
I doubt it...it looks too low-end (sorry), but possibly an old entry-level Asian Bianchi.
That's what I figured. I just want to know if I can in good conscience sell it as a Bianchi. I was planning on shaving off all the cable guides converting it to fixed gear and painting it Celeste.
__________________
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 09:36 PM   #4
Gary Fountain
Senior Member
 
Gary Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Qld, Australia.
Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The frame looks to come from the 60's or 70's era. The lugs and the fork crown don't say Bianchi to me. The rear dopouts are like nothing I have seen.

Perhaps it was a low-end bike of Bianchi origin but I am very unfamiliar with those Bianchi's made for a local market such as Italy or Japan.

I, personally, couldn't pass the frame off as a Bianchi.
Gary Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 11:35 PM   #5
meatwad
Senior Member
 
meatwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had one of those bianchis given to me. Think it was made in japan. it was a girls version so I tossed the frame and used the parts on a beater frame. Had the same race on the fork, silstar cranks, All steel derailuer, steel rims. Probably late 80s early 90s and around 120 $ bucks new.
meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 11:20 AM   #6
kemmer
*****es love tarck
Thread Starter
 
kemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: so many
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
The frame looks to come from the 60's or 70's era. The lugs and the fork crown don't say Bianchi to me. The rear dopouts are like nothing I have seen.

Perhaps it was a low-end bike of Bianchi origin but I am very unfamiliar with those Bianchi's made for a local market such as Italy or Japan.

I, personally, couldn't pass the frame off as a Bianchi.
OK, I guess unless someone can tell me otherwise I'll sell it as "maybe a Bianchi." The trade I did for it was a bargain no matter what, so it's no big deal. Thanks, and if anyone else can give me a guess as to what it is, I'd appreciate it!
__________________
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 03:01 PM   #7
meatwad
Senior Member
 
meatwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmer
Thanks, and if anyone else can give me a guess as to what it is, I'd appreciate it!
Guess? I told you what it is. Sheesh why do i bother?
meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 04:53 PM   #8
kemmer
*****es love tarck
Thread Starter
 
kemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: so many
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad
Guess? I told you what it is. Sheesh why do i bother?
Oh yeah, sorry I missed that one. I'm not 100% sure yours was the same bike, mine has aluminum wheels. I suppose mine could be upgrades though. Thanks!
__________________
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 05:39 PM   #9
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad
Guess? I told you what it is. Sheesh why do i bother?
I'm sorry, but I would really love for you to tell me how you can tell that's a Bianchi. I mean seriously, that frame looks like about a half a dozen different low end Japanese branded bikes I've seen (and one I own). Could be a Centurion Sport DLX like the frame that I built my Barracuda Mk.I from, sure looks pretty close to me. Could be a Panasonic, or a Fuji, or any number of other low end frames. Just because the tires say Bianchi on them doesn't really mean anything. The wheels could be off a different frame that may have been a Bianchi.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 06:13 PM   #10
sykerocker 
Senior Member
 
sykerocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montpelier, VA
Bikes: The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmer
OK, I guess unless someone can tell me otherwise I'll sell it as "maybe a Bianchi." The trade I did for it was a bargain no matter what, so it's no big deal. Thanks, and if anyone else can give me a guess as to what it is, I'd appreciate it!
You're really determined to get that word "Bianchi" in there somehow, aren't you? You've been pretty much told that it's a 99.9% chance it's not what you're hoping for, so you're still going to advertise on that 0.1% chance.

Let you in on a little secret: When I'm looking at buying a bike, and the seller hits me with "I think that maybe it's a <fill in the blank>", the little voice in the back of my head goes, "well, now you know what it isn't". And the price I'm considering has just dropped 10%.
__________________
Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton
sykerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 07:47 PM   #11
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 8,519
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have the answer: No. I have never seen a japanese Bianchi that cheep. As far as I know Japanese bianchis began being produced in the 70s and all the ones I have ever seen had forged fropouts. I could be wrong, but unless someone can show me a Japanese Bianchi with forged dropouts that looks that cheep I am willing to say with 98% confidence that that is not a Bianchi.
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 07:50 PM   #12
kemmer
*****es love tarck
Thread Starter
 
kemmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: so many
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykerocker
You're really determined to get that word "Bianchi" in there somehow, aren't you? You've been pretty much told that it's a 99.9% chance it's not what you're hoping for, so you're still going to advertise on that 0.1% chance.

Let you in on a little secret: When I'm looking at buying a bike, and the seller hits me with "I think that maybe it's a <fill in the blank>", the little voice in the back of my head goes, "well, now you know what it isn't". And the price I'm considering has just dropped 10%.

I only know what I was told by a guy who seemed to be pretty honest to me. I definitely won't paint it Celeste or put Bianchi decals on it since I can't positively identify it, but I don't feel the least bit guilty about telling prospective buyers that the guy who sold it to me said it was a Bianchi.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting "99.9% chance it's not what you're hoping for" from "possibly an old entry-level Asian Bianchi" and "Perhaps it was a low-end bike of Bianchi origin" but whatever.
__________________
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 08:13 PM   #13
meatwad
Senior Member
 
meatwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I have the answer: No. I have never seen a japanese Bianchi that cheep. As far as I know Japanese bianchis began being produced in the 70s and all the ones I have ever seen had forged fropouts.
Heres one for ya. The routeing of the rear brake cable is different than on his frame though.

http://www.connectex.com/rex/d24/Bia...0speed%20a.JPG


If I were him I would just weight the frame and mention that and that it might be a bianchi.
meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 09:41 PM   #14
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 8,519
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad
Heres one for ya. The routeing of the rear brake cable is different than on his frame though.

http://www.connectex.com/rex/d24/Bia...0speed%20a.JPG


If I were him I would just weight the frame and mention that and that it might be a bianchi.
thanks... first I have seen that is that cheeply speced.. however, unless you have a better photo I am not certain those are stamped dropours in the above link.. hard to say.
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 10:44 AM   #15
PTB
Winter=getting fatter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
thanks... first I have seen that is that cheeply speced.. however, unless you have a better photo I am not certain those are stamped dropours in the above link.. hard to say.
Yeah, I own one of these, too. Same thing: suicide levers and stem shifters. Even a steel chainring set. Z-series shifting. Similar gold decals, too. Turned out the frame was made in Taiwan (the LBS sticker on the seat tube was covering that little tidbit). Bought it at a thrift store for $40.
PTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 10:48 AM   #16
PTB
Winter=getting fatter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the link to the thread with pics of my black one consistent with meatwad's post.
PTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 01:48 PM   #17
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Trapped behind the corn curtain
Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The frame looks cheap. Its likely high tensile steel.

I can't imagine that frame fetching much regardless of what its called. If I'm taking the pains to build up a frame I want it at least halfway decent to start with. Besides, there are plenty of good frames of known provenance.
silversmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 02:37 PM   #18
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTB
Here is the link to the thread with pics of my black one consistent with meatwad's post.
where is the link?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.