Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,426
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DR. Deltron-ized Trek

    Hi,I finished this build late last night and was able to get few pics today. The bike rides great and is a real conversation starter! DR D. did a dynamite job IMHO! I know it is not a "true" vintage bike with all of the modern componetry, but I love it. Thanks DR. D!

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bikedued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,031
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GORGEOUS!! Love the whole bike end to end. Paint is excellent of course. Nice shooting Dr. D!,,,,BD
    "Whale. Oil. Beef. Hooked!" The Rumjacks

  3. #3
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,775
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice color, great paint job and use of barcons. Enjoy.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  4. #4
    59'er Mariner Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, IN
    My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Posts
    3,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fender, I had thought the face on the headtube would be ugly but it's turned out great! Well done!

    Dr. Deltron did a very nice job on the paint as well. Hmmm. I might have to give him a ring.

  5. #5
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,426
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
    Fender, I had thought the face on the headtube would be ugly but it's turned out great! Well done!

    Dr. Deltron did a very nice job on the paint as well. Hmmm. I might have to give him a ring.

    Yeah Dr. D went so far above and beyond on this paint job, I am at a loss for words! I too was a bit apprehensive about the headtube gargoyle because I would have to live with it if I did not like it, but that was not the case at all when I saw the frame after opening the box! It is, in my mind both attention getting and understated at the sametime. Since I forgot to mention it, this is a 1981 Trek 710

    Also gargoyles are supposed to frighten away evil spirts, so it seemed fitting on a bike that is primarily a commuter in the greater Philadelphia area traffic! I also had an ebay search for a period correct Trek head tube badge for about 4 months and nothing ever came up that was correct or in decent shape.

    I also never actually saw/approved the color before he shot it! I just told him "sorta coppertone" and he said "ok". He kept trying to get me to look at a sikkens color book but I just figured that he was an artist and I would "take the leap and the net would appear" or something like that. Whew!

    Just another rexample in my mind how much richer my life is because of the people I have met here on BF!

    Thanks againg Dr. D and enjoy that Merlin!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,728
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Terrific bike! Great job Dr. D!

    Neal

  7. #7
    Yet another vegan biker
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Trapped behind the corn curtain
    My Bikes
    Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.
    Posts
    965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work. My wife is a huge fan of gargoyles and not such a bike fan. She was WOWEd by the doctor's work.

  8. #8
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
    Fender, I had thought the face on the headtube would be ugly but it's turned out great! Well done!

    Dr. Deltron did a very nice job on the paint as well. Hmmm. I might have to give him a ring.
    I'd better send him my Raleigh Pro before he gets any more backlogged. I took Shadowfax on her maiden voyage this afternoon (very short). All she needed was a straighter rear wheel and some decent paint. I can fix the first, but the Dr. is needed for the 2nd. Time to tear her down and box her up.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  9. #9
    Since 1938... JunkYardBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwestern NJ
    Posts
    6,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's the frame I've been looking for, in my size too! I can see why you're making it your commuter. The 710 has an great riding geometry. Actually, it doesn't ride, it glides. Get a chance to glide with it today?

    Kudos to Dr. D. Beautiful color and artistry!

  10. #10
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,426
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
    There's the frame I've been looking for, in my size too! I can see why you're making it your commuter. The 710 has an great riding geometry. Actually, it doesn't ride, it glides. Get a chance to glide with it today?

    Kudos to Dr. D. Beautiful color and artistry!
    I did and you are correct! It truly is a pleasure to ride!

  11. #11
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,426
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump for the good Dr.!

  12. #12
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fender1
    Bump for the good Dr.!
    1,000 Thanks, fender1!!

    THAT, my friends, is why I paint bikes!

    To see a bike frame that's "drinkin' age", come to life anew!
    Sans tragedy, that frame will be around to collect Social Security!
    And to think of the stories that frame could tell.
    The Trek that lead to the Merlin...

    2 old bikes, just starting the next 25 years worth of adventures.


    Thanks again fender1, many happy miles to ya!!

  13. #13
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fender1
    I know it is not a "true" vintage bike with all of the modern componetry, but I love it. Thanks DR. D!

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Just LOOOK at that BIKE!

    maybe it's not all vintage, but it certainly is

    a CLASSIC!!


    You're quite welcome, f1, ENJOY!

  14. #14
    Glutton for Punishment
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    2,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like best about it is that it's finished. That moves mine one rung closer to next.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr D rocks my world. If you don't mind my asking, how much for the paint?

  16. #16
    Dr.Deltron
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moki
    Dr D rocks my world. If you don't mind my asking, how much for the paint?
    THANKS moki!!!

    The breakdown for that particular bike;

    Basingle color frame/fork $300
    Xtra special color + $35
    Cosmetic prep + $60
    Gargoyle StickFace + $100
    (plain, no details)
    Decals; cost & apply + $100

    Big total $595 + shipping

    (sorry fender1, hope you don't mind my sharing your invoice! )

    and mods, I hope it's OK to post prices in a reply to a direct question to a previously completed work.
    ie; I'm not "quoting" a potential job on someones frame. PM me if I'm in a grey or black area.
    Thanks!

    And in defense of pricing...you could drop 35 hundred bucks to shake hands with Michael Jackson!
    Like you'd want to...



    Thanks again moki!
    and I am working on getting the rest of my portfolio on line.


  17. #17
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,426
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
    THANKS moki!!!

    The breakdown for that particular bike;

    Basingle color frame/fork $300
    Xtra special color + $35
    Cosmetic prep + $60
    Gargoyle StickFace + $100
    (plain, no details)
    Decals; cost & apply + $100

    Big total $595 + shipping

    (sorry fender1, hope you don't mind my sharing your invoice! )

    and mods, I hope it's OK to post prices in a reply to a direct question to a previously completed work.
    ie; I'm not "quoting" a potential job on someones frame. PM me if I'm in a grey or black area.
    Thanks!

    And in defense of pricing...you could drop 35 hundred bucks to shake hands with Michael Jackson!
    Like you'd want to...



    Thanks again moki!
    and I am working on getting the rest of my portfolio on line.

    But remeber I got the discounted "one time, special price, approved by your manager" for sending you the Merlin. Now if people can send a 58cm Merlin w/ each order, they will recieve a substantial discount!
    Last edited by fender1; 03-05-07 at 08:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •