I picked up a Trek 700 Multi-Track hybrid today for $20. The condition is poor/fair with lots of rust and it's slightly too small on me. The 700c wide profile rims are in good shape but the 36 spokes are rusted, as well as most other parts. The items in fair shape are:
- frame (horitzontal drops)
- cantalver brakes (could use new shoes)
- water bottle
- rack (seems light)
- trunk (not shown, washed up nice)
- brake levers
- 3x and 6x thumb shifters
- FD (some surface rust)
- 6 spd shimano freewheel (possibly)
The hubs are rusted, gel seat torn up, cables worn, handlebar surface rust. It had one of the defective kryptonite U locks but without the key I can't get the Kryptonite vendor to replace it.
I'm thinking of cleaning and painting the handlebar for my son's fuji folding bike since he complains the current bar is too low.
It'd might make a good junker for my daughter at school but I'd have to rebuild the wheels (schrader too) - doesn't the cost of spokes add up?
What do you think of
- selling off frame w/brakes and BB on ebay
- selling 6spd shifters, FD, RD, and freewheel as a set