Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-07, 01:11 PM   #1
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
Thread Starter
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suntour Cyclone Mk II FD or Mountech?

Which front derailleur would you use on the following setup?

Sugino XD triple 46/36/26
SRAM 5.0 8 speed cassette 11-28
Suntour Cyclone Mk II GT RD
Suntour ratcheting barcons

I'd prefer the MkII on aesthetics and to match the RD. In a previous post on the Mk II capacity, a BF member confirmed success with it on a 48/38/28 triple crank.

However, it's my understanding that the Mountech is designed for a smaller big ring and a "touring or mountain crossover" setup. Am I right?

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 03-05-07 at 05:12 PM.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 01:41 PM   #2
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Bikes: '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Cyclone should work fine; besides, the Mountech had 'issues'.
Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.
top506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 01:44 PM   #3
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 8,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
He is just asking about the front.. mountech might be slightly more suitable for a triple but the MKII is lighter and definately nicer. I vote MKII
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 05:22 PM   #4
OrangeOkie
Senior Member
 
OrangeOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Which front derailleur would you use on the following setup?

Sugino XD triple 46/36/26
SRAM 5.0 8 speed cassette 11-28
Suntour Cyclone Mk II GT RD
Suntour ratcheting barcons

I'd prefer the MkII on aesthetics and to match the RD. In a previous post on the Mk II capacity, a BF member confirmed success with it on a 48/38/28 triple crank.

However, it's my understanding that the Mountech is designed for a smaller big ring and a "touring or mountain crossover" setup. Am I right?
I'm one to first try "matching" front and rear ders, however, smoothness of the shift is more important to me. I'd mount the MkII first, and if it's performance met my high expectations for Suntour shift quality, I'd stick with it. If not, then I would start experimenting. I just mounted a Superbe Tech rear der on a 28T Pro compe gold freewheel, and the 3000 alpha front der, that came with the bike (87 Cannondale), works like a champ, so I didn't try anything else.
OrangeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 02:57 AM   #5
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
Thread Starter
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I'm one to first try "matching" front and rear ders, however, smoothness of the shift is more important to me. I'd mount the MkII first, and if it's performance met my high expectations for Suntour shift quality, I'd stick with it. If not, then I would start experimenting. I just mounted a Superbe Tech rear der on a 28T Pro compe gold freewheel, and the 3000 alpha front der, that came with the bike (87 Cannondale), works like a champ, so I didn't try anything else.
Thanks. Smooth performance is my primary interest. The Mountech is actually quite similar visually to the Cyclone, but the cage does not have the same polish. The Mountech's cage is also much deeper and longer. It looks like the modern triple FDs, with a slightly longer cage, which leads me to believe it might be superior for my application. As far as weight, they both feel roughly the same.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 08:51 AM   #6
ollo_ollo
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Sublimity Orygun
Bikes: Still have a few left!
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 84 Specialized touring bike with 26-38-48 crank has a Mountech front derailleur, still works flawlessly. It was the rear Mountech derailleur that had the "issues", replaced mine with a Shimano Deore & aluminum pulleys. Don
ollo_ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 05:29 PM   #7
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
Thread Starter
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the archival record: I've gone with the Cyclone MK II triple FD because of cable interference issues with the Mountech. I'm able to mount the Cyclone a few millimeters lower than the Mountech, so it performs better on my 46/36/26 triple setup.

So far, I'm happy with the performance. Some upshifts are rough, but I think it's more of an operator issue than a hardware issue.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 02:33 AM   #8
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have the cyclone rd/fd's on hand from other bikes, or are you guys getting them from somewhere? I might be interested in a set if anyone knows where to get them. Not trying to change the topic of the thread, it's semi related
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 05:52 AM   #9
JunkYardBike
Since 1938...
Thread Starter
 
JunkYardBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northwestern NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 6,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Do you have the cyclone rd/fd's on hand from other bikes, or are you guys getting them from somewhere? I might be interested in a set if anyone knows where to get them. Not trying to change the topic of the thread, it's semi related
I got it NOS on ebay for something like $15 shipped. Watch ebay, NOS versions come up quite often.
JunkYardBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 06:22 AM   #10
ollo_ollo
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Sublimity Orygun
Bikes: Still have a few left!
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another double front derailleur for a triple is the Shimano Arabesque. I run one on my Motobecane Grand Jubile with a Stronglight 30-36-46 triple. The initial adjustment was a bit touchy. I had to set it very low & close to the big ring to get good shifting up & down. Have also used a SunTour Seven FD successfully with a Sugino triple on a bike I flipped. You never know until you try. Don
ollo_ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.