Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1535
  1. #1001
    JPitch
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Centurion Le Mans, K2 Hardtail MTB, 85 Stumpjumper
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1983 Miyata 610

    Here is my 1983 Miyata 610, a former CragisList find, back on the road for it first post-renovation voyage---two-day, 125 miles round trip from New Orleans to charming Mandeville LA. Found the route on www.joeybike.com, a great resource for cycling in NOLA. Bike performed like a champ! New bars/stem (Nitto), pedals (MKS Grip King), barcons+rear derailer (Ultegra), crank (Sugino), and brake levers (basic Tektro). Photo is on the Tammany Trail portion of the route.



    83Miyata610.jpg

  2. #1002
    Team Beer Cynikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    5,781
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my 85 Nishiki Cresta in Town bike mode. Not a great photo.

    Cresta.jpg
    I'm not one for fawning over bicycles, but I do believe that our bikes communicate with us, and what this bike is saying is, "You're an idiot." BikeSnobNYC

  3. #1003
    Senior Member spurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ireland
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Miyata 610 on the road for the long weekend...


  4. #1004
    Senior Member auchencrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,210
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    :
    Since we're posting Miyata 610's, here is mine from 1982

    - Auchen

  5. #1005
    Senior Member spurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ireland
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
    :
    Since we're posting Miyata 610's, here is mine from 1982


    Mine is an 82 too. With sidepull calipers aswell. Bit unusual for a tourer but I find them good enough.

    It that a Suntour V-GT I see? If it is, we've a similar set up.

  6. #1006
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, nicer pictures of the Univega on flickr here, along with other classic bikes I own: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9038813...7627565447735/

  7. #1007
    Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That second Miayat looks an awful lot like the Nishiki frame from the same erra.
    One, we just built today for a friend.
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

  8. #1008
    Senior Member auchencrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,210
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spurious View Post
    Mine is an 82 too. With sidepull calipers aswell. Bit unusual for a tourer but I find them good enough.

    It that a Suntour V-GT I see? If it is, we've a similar set up.
    That's an affirmative, spurious.
    (My only issue with the 610 as-tourer is that it's too fast to take in any of the scenery! )
    - Auchen

  9. #1009
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '83 Miyata 610. Apologies in advance for pic taken from the wrong side of crankset.


  10. #1010
    Senior Member auchencrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,210
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like we're having a 610 love-in here.
    - Auchen

  11. #1011
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Villain...
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my Univega, Found in my friends basement and I just cleaned it up and put a new wheel in the front.
    All I know is it's a nuevo sport.

  12. #1012
    Senior Member spurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ireland
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    My '83 Miyata 610. Apologies in advance for pic taken from the wrong side of crankset.

    Looks good. How do yo find the barcons? I damaged my left DT shifter when I got knocked off my bike and I yet to decide to replace them with another set of DT shifters or go to barcons....

    Quote Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
    That's an affirmative, spurious.
    (My only issue with the 610 as-tourer is that it's too fast to take in any of the scenery! )

    Load it down with some stuff and that will slow her down. Or maybe my engine isn't as good

  13. #1013
    JPitch
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Centurion Le Mans, K2 Hardtail MTB, 85 Stumpjumper
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    My '83 Miyata 610. Apologies in advance for pic taken from the wrong side of crankset.

    Great bags (incluidng the seat bag), and great stainless steel thermos---what brands??

  14. #1014
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,755
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaguirre View Post
    Yes, nicer pictures of the Univega on flickr here, along with other classic bikes I own: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9038813...7627565447735/
    I stumbled upon your pictures once while searching for photos of Univega's similar to mine (Specialissima). Our bikes our outfitted very similarly, only your paint looks muuuuuuuuuuch better, and I really like that front rack. My VO rack sits about 7/16 or 1/2 an inch above the fender, which isn't bad, but it's not as low as I would like.



    *Note: I touched up the scratches and chips in Photoshop. The paint looks a lot worse in person. Normally I wouldn't do that, but with the sun directly on the frame, it looked especially bad in this shot.

  15. #1015
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Your Univega

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    I stumbled upon your pictures once while searching for photos of Univega's similar to mine (Specialissima). Our bikes our outfitted very similarly, only your paint looks muuuuuuuuuuch better, and I really like that front rack. My VO rack sits about 7/16 or 1/2 an inch above the fender, which isn't bad, but it's not as low as I would like.



    *Note: I touched up the scratches and chips in Photoshop. The paint looks a lot worse in person. Normally I wouldn't do that, but with the sun directly on the frame, it looked especially bad in this shot.
    Really nice build. I just don't get why people pay thousands of dollars for touring bikes when you can do a perfectly good job like this for a fraction of the cost. You can go anywhere and do anything on these 80s Japanese tourers. Good job!

  16. #1016
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,755
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Really the only things I don't like about are:

    1. Horizontal instead of vertical dropouts. Horizontals were by far the norm back then, but vertical dropouts would work so much better with the fender.

    2. Not enough tire/fender clearance. 32mm tires with the fenders is an awfully tight fit, and many times I've wished for larger tires. Still, I'm glad I can at least fit the 32s on there.

    I'd like to have a brand new frame with similar geometry but clearance for 650b x 40+mm tires and big fenders, but I just can't justify the expense when this one does so well, even if it's not 100% ideal.

    Edit: I can't remember if I ever posted this bike in this thread, and I no longer own it, but it was also a fine machine. It was just a little big for me, and since I already had the Univega it was sort of redundant, so I sold it to an employ at the LBS. But it was a nice looking bike, and a pretty nice ride, too.



    I later added Gilles Berthoud fenders and Nitto Campee front and rear racks, but sadly I don't have any pictures of it with that setup.
    Last edited by Lamplight; 05-15-12 at 08:11 PM.

  17. #1017
    Senior Member The MAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My Bikes
    Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    I'd like to have a brand new frame with similar geometry but clearance for 650b x 40+mm tires and big fenders, but I just can't justify the expense when this one does so well, even if it's not 100% ideal.
    Maybe you could find a 80's/early 90's MTB frame to do a 26" build? Similar to 650B and also similar geometry to touring. Should be some cheap fun.
    Adventures In Bicycling

    '84 Miyata Terra Runner
    '88 Bianchi Brava
    '92 Schwinn Woodlands
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  18. #1018
    Senior Member cycleheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York Metro Area
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 720 Multi-Track, 1994 Cannondale M600, 1991 Schwinn CrossCut, 1984 Raleigh Touring 18, 1981 Fuji S12S (18 spd), 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Touring
    Posts
    3,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The MAX View Post
    Maybe you could find a 80's/early 90's MTB frame to do a 26" build? Similar to 650B and also similar geometry to touring. Should be some cheap fun.
    Good suggestion. Some more information on the subject... http://blog.adventurecycling.org/201...d-touring.html
    Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-16-12 at 06:06 AM.
    Bike-A-Holic

  19. #1019
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jodypitch View Post
    Great bags (incluidng the seat bag), and great stainless steel thermos---what brands??
    I recall Chris posted that he made those bags or had them made.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  20. #1020
    Senior Member that_guy_zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    omicron persei 8
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The MAX View Post
    Maybe you could find a 80's/early 90's MTB frame to do a 26" build? Similar to 650B and also similar geometry to touring. Should be some cheap fun.
    I did just that but went with 650Bs on the MTB frame. I had to run some oddball V Brakes but it works great.

  21. #1021
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,248
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently revamped my Bob Jackson World Tour to make it more suitable for loaded touring. Installed a triple drivetrain with lower gearing, Tubus Cargo rear rack, Nitto front rack and my old B17 saddle. Looks almost too purty to load up with panniers and gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #1022
    zungguzungguguzungguzeng Catnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Zunow, Bridgestone, Mercier, Centurion, Surly, Cannondale
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    I recently revamped my Bob Jackson World Tour to make it more suitable for loaded touring. Installed a triple drivetrain with lower gearing, Tubus Cargo rear rack, Nitto front rack and my old B17 saddle. Looks almost too purty to load up with panniers and gear.
    nice build! Bob Jacksons are so classy, and good choice on the Sugino crankset.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiglow View Post
    Drunken attempts and subsequent faliures at tarckstanding in front of cops is majestic failz.

  23. #1023
    Senior Member kuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recently completed Miyata 1000.

  24. #1024
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jodypitch View Post
    Great bags (incluidng the seat bag), and great stainless steel thermos---what brands??
    Bags and saddle bag are Cristóbal & Co. The s.s. thermos is from Trek.

  25. #1025
    Senior Member Chris Pringle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pearl of the Pacific, Mexico
    My Bikes
    '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spurious View Post
    Looks good. How do yo find the barcons? I damaged my left DT shifter when I got knocked off my bike and I yet to decide to replace them with another set of DT shifters or go to barcons....
    This was my first bike with bar-end shifters and love' em! I recently finished building a new touring bike and installed bar-end shifters on it, too.

Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •