Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-13, 01:03 AM   #1101
etherhuffer
Senior Member
 
etherhuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Seattle
Bikes: 81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE redone in yellow powdercoat, new decals from Velocals and yes, wheel reflectors and a dork disc. Why? Because I could.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.6 KB, 119 views)
etherhuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 05:01 AM   #1102
mobilemail
Senior Member
 
mobilemail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Gateway to the West
Bikes: You mean this week?
Posts: 713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nothing rare, but I have a special love for touring bikes. One day I might actually get to go somewhere....

mobilemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:05 AM   #1103
Ronno6
Senior Member
 
Ronno6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South
Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This is Babe the Blue Ox, a 1989 27" Cannondale ST400 completely refurbed:



Next is another ST400, a 1990:



Then finally, this is my Grail bike: a 1993 Cannondale T1000

Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 04:15 PM   #1104
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I spent the entire day today going through this thread.

No kidding.

Such incredible bikes. I've gotten some really great ideas of "wishlist" stuff or ideas for my own "dream bike" just looking at some of these gorgeous machines. I see some people have said they feel guilty having these 'full blown tourers' and not touring. These bicycles are just such great, comfortable riders- I don't see why you would want to give that up for some sort of misplaced guilt.

Since I was stuck home- I figured I'd post some pics. Is it too dorky to post the builds?


This past week I was getting all obsessed about getting some matching silver Blackburn racks. I missed a perfect rack on the Ebay, but then I found a CL ad with a bike with racks- I called him to see if he'd sell the racks. I offered to buy the Cannondale bags if he'd sell the racks. It turned out he had a spare set of racks. So...

First up- the 1985 Trek 620. My secret plan was to get a matching set of silver Jim Blackburn racks. The front rack was wonderful, the rear rack had the stays a bit too short- so for now, I have the stock blue rack and the silver front rack. This is my favorite bike-

1985 Trek 620 frame- Reynolds 531CS- 531 in the main triangle and cromoly stays and fork.
Short reach SR "Custom" stem and the stock Bellieri bars.
Shimano Z306 slotted brake levers (Cane Creek hoods)
Mirrycle mirror
Shimano MC-70 canti brakes
6 Speed Suntour Command Shifters
Suntour XC Pro rear derailleur
Sachs/Huret front derailleur
Shimano 6 Speed freewheel (I think 14-28)
Atom high flange hubs and Mavic 27" rims- Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 27 x 1 1/4"
Shimano FC6206 cranks- 50-45-28
No-name ATB pedals
San Marco Touring Saddle







Next up, the 1987 Schwinn Voyageur- I got this as a frameset plus brakes, so I've been kind figuring what parts I want- but there's a lot of paint scratches- where the primer and the chrome underneath show through. This bike is outrageously comfortable as it is right now- I have some 30 year old Specialized Expedition tires on there- and I think they're at least partially responsible for making this bike ride like a La-Z-Boy on wheels. I put the silver rack on there, it kinda looked OK in person, but in the pics it's really leaning forward. So if anyone has a Jim Blackburn with longer stays that wants to trade for one with short stays...

Schwinn Voyageur frame with Columbus Tenax tubes
3TTT stem and bars
Suntour Superbe slotted brake levers
Mirrycle mirror
DiaCompe 981 cantis
Sachs/Huret ratcheting downtube shifters (from the 620)
Suntour XC Comp front and rear derailleurs
Suntour 14-34 freewheel
Avocet Hubs- Wolber Super Champion rims.
Takagi Tourney XT cranks 48-38-28
Union Beartrap pedals
San Marco Touring Saddle

__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 04:45 PM   #1105
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
While these two aren't exactly "touring" bikes in the classic sense- plenty of these style bikes have been posted.

First- the 1987 Schwinn High Sierra MTB. This is a cool frame- the coveted black chrome finish, fillet brazed at the headtube: this bike must've been designed as a "go anywhere" bike. It has something like 18" long chainstays and dual brazeons on each dropout, midfork brazeons, a pump peg behind the seat tube and roller cam brakes. I added the drop bars. This is my first bike with barcons- one of the shifters slips- so I'll either need to figure out how to fix it or get another barcon before I can really evaluate how I like the shifters- but I doubt I'll like them more than I like the Command Shifters...

1987 Schwinn High Sierra triple butted cromoly frame
SR stem and bars
Schwinn Approved drilled DiaCompe levers with "safety" extensions (I kinda like them)
Suntour XC Sport roller cam brakes.
Suntour Barcon shifters
Shimano Deore (MT-60) front and rear derailleurs
6 Speed Shimano freewheel
High flange Joytech front hub- Araya 26" wheel
??? Hub to Alex rim on the back
The crank and rings were replaced when I got hit by a car in 1991
I think they're Sugino 48-38-28 with the inner 2 being Biopace
I'll be putting on some of the no-name ATB pedals with clips & straps
Selle Italia anatomic saddle.





Then there's the 1986 Trek 400 Elance. I lusted after this bike for so long. I've always loved the color and the overall look of this bike. While it is more of a "sport-touring" thing- it does have two bottle mounts, a fairly laid back geometry and long enough chainstays to have panniers and not have heel strike. The frame has a 531 main triangle and Tange cromoly stays and fork. If you'll notice in the Trek catalogs- this is the same basic formula for a 600 series Trek- so in 1986, the 600 series was discontinued and these "lower" offerings had 531 for the masses. Because I lusted after this bike for so long- I wanted it to be a nice bike- so I "upgraded" the brakes to TriColor 600- (single pivot in the back, dual pivot in the front) but I didn't know the short reach wouldn't work- so, rather than use different brakes (I REALLY like the look of the TriColor stuff) I actually switched this bike from 700c x 32 to 27 x 1 1/8. The 1 1/4 tires were too tall for the fork and brake bridge clearance. My plan was also to use the slotted Suntour Superbe levers- but I didn't realize that the SLR braking meant return springs in the levers- so older, non-sprung levers would have to be "helped" to return. In any case- since changing the bike over to 27- I really enjoy riding this a lot more than when it was 700c. Go figure.

1986 Trek 400 Elance frame 531 main frame- Tange CR-MO stays and fork
SR stem and bars
Shimano 600 TriColor aero brake levers
Shimano 600 TriColor brakes- single pivot in the back, dual pivot up front
6 speed Suntour Command Shifters
Suntour XC Pro front and rear derailleurs
6 Speed Shimano freewheel 14-30
Sanshin hubs/ 27" Araya wheels, Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1 1/8" Tourguard tires
Sugino cranks 52-40
No Name ATB pedals w/ clips and straps
Avocet Touring II saddle




Let me know if anyone would like any extra info or pics about the bikes!
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 09-24-13 at 07:54 PM.
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 05:35 PM   #1106
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,177
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I just finished building up my Melton touring bike:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010260.jpg (107.3 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg P1010261.jpg (106.4 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg P1010262.jpg (111.6 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg P1010263.jpg (105.6 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg P1010265.jpg (109.3 KB, 12 views)
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 05:53 PM   #1107
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,395
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I just finished building up my Melton touring bike:

Very nice.

How does the bicycle ride without a load?
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:14 PM   #1108
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,177
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Very nice.

How does the bicycle ride without a load?
Thanks. The bike rides really great under a load. It is a little larger than I normally ride (it's a 57 c-t-c and I normally ride a 56) with a correspondingly longer top tube which I think contributes to its stability. It's a long wheelbase bike at 42 inches but rides great without a load as well. It rides pretty much like a high end sports touring bike. I actually have it built up now more as a sports touring bike than as a tourer.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 06:24 PM   #1109
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,395
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Thanks. The bike rides really great under a load. It is a little larger than I normally ride (it's a 57 c-t-c and I normally ride a 56) with a correspondingly longer top tube which I think contributes to its stability. It's a long wheelbase bike at 42 inches but rides great without a load as well. It rides pretty much like a high end sports touring bike. I actually have it built up now more as a sports touring bike than as a tourer.
It also appears to have ample room for wide tires for off road use, which would prove to make it even more useful.

The frameset looks so minty. Is it a refinish?
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:36 PM   #1110
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,177
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
It also appears to have ample room for wide tires for off road use, which would prove to make it even more useful.

The frameset looks so minty. Is it a refinish?
It takes long reach sidepull brakes and can handle a 700 x 32c with fenders. It has three water bottle braze ons so it was made to be a long-distance bike. The bike does like minty, . It is all original. I recently cleaned up all the parts (the derailleurs are NOS, the other parts have a fair amount of use). I have another vintage touring bike which I've used for most of my tours (a Trek 720 which looks pretty beat up) so this bike didn't see a lot of touring use.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:42 PM   #1111
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,395
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
It takes long reach sidepull brakes and can handle a 700 x 32c with fenders. It has three water bottle braze ons so it was made to be a long-distance bike. The bike does like minty, . It is all original. I recently cleaned up all the parts (the derailleurs are NOS, the other parts have a fair amount of use). I have another vintage touring bike which I've used for most of my tours (a Trek 720 which looks pretty beat up) so this bike didn't see a lot of touring use.
Then it's even more of a find in that super condition.

Congrats on your good fortune.

I've love to ride a Melton someday.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:08 AM   #1112
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I just finished building up my Melton touring bike:


How do you like the feel of the Power Shifters pulling the XC Pro?

I used my Sachs/Huret shifters and they felt nice with whatever derailleur- but with the XC Pro- I don't know if it's the pull against the stronger return spring- it's a very smooth shift.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:19 AM   #1113
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,177
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
How do you like the feel of the Power Shifters pulling the XC Pro?

I used my Sachs/Huret shifters and they felt nice with whatever derailleur- but with the XC Pro- I don't know if it's the pull against the stronger return spring- it's a very smooth shift.
I thought about using indexing sun tour bar ends but decided to go with the downtube shifters. I think it looks really clean on an old bike and more old school looking. The combo is very fine. I think that the xc pro was probably suntour's best RD and the power shifters are very, very smooth. I am running a suntour alpha 7 speed freewheel so I can go with indexing if I want. I tried to build the bike mainly with suntour components (crank, derailleurs, brakes, and freewheel). I used the crank on a cross country tour so it has seen some miles but I was able to piece together a suntour cup and cone BB since the original one was a bit shot. The hubs are 36 hole campy tipos and the rims are MA-2s.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:26 AM   #1114
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I thought about using indexing sun tour bar ends but decided to go with the downtube shifters. I think it looks really clean on an old bike and more old school looking. The combo is very fine. I think that the xc pro was probably suntour's best RD and the power shifters are very, very smooth. I am running a suntour alpha 7 speed freewheel so I can go with indexing if I want. I tried to build the bike mainly with suntour components (crank, derailleurs, brakes, and freewheel). I used the crank on a cross country tour so it has seen some miles but I was able to piece together a suntour cup and cone BB since the original one was a bit shot. The hubs are 36 hole campy tipos and the rims are MA-2s.
I have a Superbe Pro (from the generation concurrent with the XC-Pro) that I really wanted to use on the 400- but it sat too high to accept a 30 tooth cog.



If you're talking about indexing... try out the Command Shifters.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:31 AM   #1115
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Bikes: A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
Posts: 10,177
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
I have a Superbe Pro (from the generation concurrent with the XC-Pro) that I really wanted to use on the 400- but it sat too high to accept a 30 tooth cog.



If you're talking about indexing... try out the Command Shifters.
You know, I had forgotten about command shifters. I've heard great things about them; I may try them out. I'm a big fan of superb pro stuff as well; the RD looks really smart on your Trek 400.
bikemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:44 AM   #1116
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
You know, I had forgotten about command shifters. I've heard great things about them; I may try them out. I'm a big fan of superb pro stuff as well; the RD looks really smart on your Trek 400.
Thanks! If I only had gotten the Superbe Pro to work... I've heard them described as "like jewels." It'll probably go on my Trek 730 when I get around to that.

FWIW- I got a set of used 7sp Command Shifters off the eBay either last year or earlier this year for under $50. I guess it helped that the guy said they were unused and NOS, even though the pics CLEARLY showed signs of use. If you've used Accushift, you understand the hard click and once you're used to that... it's sweet. Only "bad" thing is that it encourages riding on the hoods and ramps. But I ride there anyway...
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:29 AM   #1117
pedalnmetal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
While these two aren't exactly "touring" bikes in the classic sense- plenty of these style bikes have been posted.

First- the 1987 Schwinn High Sierra MTB. This is a cool frame- the coveted black chrome finish, fillet brazed at the headtube: this bike must've been designed as a "go anywhere" bike. It has something like 18" long chainstays and dual brazeons on each dropout, midfork brazeons, a pump peg behind the seat tube and roller cam brakes. I added the drop bars. This is my first bike with barcons- one of the shifters slips- so I'll either need to figure out how to fix it or get another barcon before I can really evaluate how I like the shifters- but I doubt I'll like them more than I like the Command Shifters...

1987 Schwinn High Sierra triple butted cromoly frame
SR stem and bars
Schwinn Approved drilled DiaCompe levers with "safety" extensions (I kinda like them)
Suntour XC Sport roller cam brakes.
Suntour Barcon shifters
Shimano Deore (MT-60) front and rear derailleurs
6 Speed Shimano freewheel
High flange Joytech front hub- Araya 26" wheel
??? Hub to Alex rim on the back
The crank and rings were replaced when I got hit by a car in 1991
I think they're Sugino 48-38-28 with the inner 2 being Biopace
I'll be putting on some of the no-name ATB pedals with clips & straps
Selle Italia anatomic saddle.





Then there's the 1986 Trek 400 Elance. I lusted after this bike for so long. I've always loved the color and the overall look of this bike. While it is more of a "sport-touring" thing- it does have two bottle mounts, a fairly laid back geometry and long enough chainstays to have panniers and not have heel strike. The frame has a 531 main triangle and Tange cromoly stays and fork. If you'll notice in the Trek catalogs- this is the same basic formula for a 600 series Trek- so in 1986, the 600 series was discontinued and these "lower" offerings had 531 for the masses. Because I lusted after this bike for so long- I wanted it to be a nice bike- so I "upgraded" the brakes to TriColor 600- (single pivot in the back, dual pivot in the front) but I didn't know the short reach wouldn't work- so, rather than use different brakes (I REALLY like the look of the TriColor stuff) I actually switched this bike from 700c x 32 to 27 x 1 1/8. The 1 1/4 tires were too tall for the fork and brake bridge clearance. My plan was also to use the slotted Suntour Superbe levers- but I didn't realize that the SLR braking meant return springs in the levers- so older, non-sprung levers would have to be "helped" to return. In any case- since changing the bike over to 27- I really enjoy riding this a lot more than when it was 700c. Go figure.

1986 Trek 400 Elance frame 531 main frame- Tange CR-MO stays and fork
SR stem and bars
Shimano 600 TriColor aero brake levers
Shimano 600 TriColor brakes- single pivot in the back, dual pivot up front
6 speed Suntour Command Shifters
Suntour XC Pro front and rear derailleurs
6 Speed Shimano freewheel 14-30
Sanshin hubs/ 27" Araya wheels, Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1 1/8" Tourguard tires
Sugino cranks 52-40
No Name ATB pedals w/ clips and straps
Avocet Touring II saddle




Let me know if anyone would like any extra info or pics about the bikes!

Looks like we have similar tastes. I recently picked up a '87 400 Elance with everything pretty much original, and am trying to figure out what I'd like to do with it. Although 'true' touring bikes are my soft spot, I've also become more interested in doing some drop bar / 'light touring' / 'all-arounder' conversions on some classic MTBs. In the past 6 months I've picked up a lugged 1993 Trek 970, a 1991 Bridgestone MB-2, a near mint 1992 Miyata Elevation 1000, and a 1986 Ross Mt Hood (also with roller cam brakes) - all in good shape. I like what you did with your High Sierra. Now I need to stop buying and start working on them ... I'm sure I'll be seeking advice here on BF.
pedalnmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 11:27 AM   #1118
The Golden Boy 
Blood And Steel!!
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
Posts: 7,325
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalnmetal View Post
Looks like we have similar tastes. I recently picked up a '87 400 Elance with everything pretty much original, and am trying to figure out what I'd like to do with it. Although 'true' touring bikes are my soft spot, I've also become more interested in doing some drop bar / 'light touring' / 'all-arounder' conversions on some classic MTBs. In the past 6 months I've picked up a lugged 1993 Trek 970, a 1991 Bridgestone MB-2, a near mint 1992 Miyata Elevation 1000, and a 1986 Ross Mt Hood (also with roller cam brakes) - all in good shape. I like what you did with your High Sierra. Now I need to stop buying and start working on them ... I'm sure I'll be seeking advice here on BF.
Start a thread with pics and where everyone can throw ideas at you- you've got a pretty cool stable of bikes and at least a couple will get you into a good "all-arounder/touring" type neighborhood.
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way- turn." Charles DeMar
The Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 06:06 PM   #1119
rawly old
Senior Member
 
rawly old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here's my poor man's version 'World Traveller' A.) $15 mtn bike of uncertain pedigree
B.) Inframe pannier ala Goodwill $5 Samsonite carry-on. C.) Stem bag $2 also
Goodwill, an insulated lunch bag/w shoulder strap. D.) $2 thrift store basket containing
a $20 surplus Marine bivy with $15 Walmart fleece bag. E.) bottles & cages 1$ ea.
In as much as I am old, fat, and have had major traumatic injuries to both
legs, the object in the round olive cover is a 2.2 hp. weedwhacker engine for
hills or just when I feel lazy.
(I don't know what I did to change the font nor how to change it back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg World Traveller 001.jpg (102.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg World Traveller 004.jpg (103.8 KB, 408 views)
rawly old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 06:40 AM   #1120
M A V
Machine Age Victim
 
M A V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes: Many, yet not enough
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a recent build. Early 1970s Benotto with Shimano 600 Arabesque.






M A V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 12:43 PM   #1121
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
^ Pretty!
__________________
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 12:48 PM   #1122
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawly old View Post
Here's my poor man's version 'World Traveller' A.) $15 mtn bike of uncertain pedigree
B.) Inframe pannier ala Goodwill $5 Samsonite carry-on. C.) Stem bag $2 also
Goodwill, an insulated lunch bag/w shoulder strap. D.) $2 thrift store basket containing
a $20 surplus Marine bivy with $15 Walmart fleece bag. E.)bottles & cages 1$ ea.
In as much as I am old, fat, and have had major traumatic injuries to both
legs, the object in the round olive cover is a 2.2 hp. weedwhacker engine for
hills or just when I feel lazy.
(I don't know what I did to change the font nor how to change it back)
The true art of recycling. I like it.

__________________
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 04:40 PM   #1123
rawly old
Senior Member
 
rawly old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not so much a case of recycling as one of limited finances. However, it is more satisfying to
manufacture discards into something just as durable & functional any purchased , factory-made
product. When one thinks of the labor that went into earning the money to buy new, it is
far simpler and cheaper to make things yourself. I look at these things & see what they might
become. So much remains out there that can still be useful; why not make use of it.

(140 mpg)

Last edited by rawly old; 10-22-13 at 04:47 PM.
rawly old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 05:01 PM   #1124
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawly old View Post
Not so much a case of recycling as one of limited finances. However, it is more satisfying to
manufacture discards into something just as durable & functional any purchased , factory-made
product. When one thinks of the labor that went into earning the money to buy new, it is
far simpler and cheaper to make things yourself. I look at these things & see what they might
become. So much remains out there that can still be useful; why not make use of it.

(140 mpg)
Whatever the reason, I just think it is good practice to use up old stuff before committing valuable resources to making and buying new stuff. And with a little fantasy, like in your case, the old stuff can go a long way.
__________________
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 07:32 PM   #1125
mattabi528
Junior Member
 
mattabi528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlevoix Michigan
Bikes: 1975 Mossberg, 1968 Royce Union 10 speed Racer, 1972 Joannou Racer 10 speed,1970 VeloSolex LaParisenne 1971 Plymouth Racer,1972 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1975 Peugeot U08, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2010 Raleigh Mt. Bike
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


This is my '75 Peugeot and '72 Motobecane Grand Touring I can never decide which to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0827131513.jpg (102.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Indian River property 076.jpg (100.2 KB, 52 views)
mattabi528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 AM.