Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-07, 10:54 AM   #1
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fifty Year Old Bikes

Over in the "Over Fifty" Forum there is a thread on "the oldest bike you ride on a regular basis". To my surprise, there were folks riding bikes that are fifty years old, or whose owner was preparing for regular rides.

Awhile back, "Classic and Vintage" had a thread where people talked about bikes they ride every day that are ten or twenty or thirty years old. But, I don't recall anyone saying that he rides a bike from 1950 or 1960 on a regular basis.

So, is there any member in "Classic and Vintage" who has a bike made before 1960 that he still rides on a regular basis? If so, I hope you will tell us about your bike, how much of it is still "original", and maybe post some photos.
alanbikehouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:14 AM   #2
mstrpete
Big Doofus
 
mstrpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cascadia
Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the oldest bike we own, and it's my wife's regular ride, but I don't know exactly how old it is:

It's an AMF Roadmaster, with a Cleveland Welding badge. Pedals are from a '71 Schwinn Collegiate frame, and the handlebar is from our "garden art" Huffy.
mstrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:16 AM   #3
fbagatelleblack
Senior Gumby
 
fbagatelleblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you subscribe to the magazine "Bicycle Quarterly?"

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html

Some might argue that the editor feels anything YOUNGER than 50 years is not really worth riding.

- FBB
fbagatelleblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:30 AM   #4
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,085
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
I'm planning on a ride this afternoon, but can't quite decide between my early 1950s Raleigh Record Ace or my 1949 Raleigh Clubman. A couple of days ago, my ride was on my 1948 Claud Butler, and another regular rider is my 1960 Capo (oops, that's one's only 47 years old!).

Neal
nlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:31 AM   #5
iab 
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,797
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I did a thread about combined age (rider + bike). Rules were the bike must be a rider (no wall art). Sheldon was the winner at 151. An irrelevant thread about the oldest combined age

I don't know the exact date, but my bike was built anywhere from 1955-1960. I ride it 2-3 times a week. Pictures here. My Cinelli... is finished. 56K warning

I am also looking for a pre-war Frejus, which would be about 70 years old to ride. Let me know if you see one.
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 01:03 PM   #6
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I wonder if the old bike I rode 50 years ago is still around? Anybody else get a used bike from Santa?
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 01:15 PM   #7
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Wife's Hercules Skyliner that we acquired from Pastor Bob is over 50 years old...we just don't know how much over 50 It isn't a daily rider...yet, but I suspect once I get it back together she will be riding it at least once a week.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 02:43 PM   #8
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 1955 Corvette is on this forum too...

My 1955 Corvette was pretty much original when I bought it from Tolfan for $10 (except consumables). I will replace the spokes and rims. May replace the stem and fork (of course bearings etc too). Cables tires and tubes are new. I may mount a banana seat and ramshorn bar. So, all that will really be original will be bars, hubs, frame, chain guard and crank.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 02:59 PM   #9
old_alfie
Title-Les
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest literally-daily rider is a 1967 bike of unknown American build Raleigh emulator-but-not-a-clone which was sold under the HOLIDAY STORES gas station brand name. It's a S/A 3-spdr. My oldest once-a-week rider is a 1947 Raleigh Sport with _matching dates_ Dyno front and SW rear hubs. I was built in 1941-42.
alf
old_alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 04:12 PM   #10
SirMike1983
Upright bars
 
SirMike1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Bikes: U.S. and British Roadsters
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
'37 Schwinn Henderson. It needs a bit of work but can be ridden on short, local rides. I don't trust the brakes enough to go very far, since the terrain has a few hills here and there. Older doesn't automatically mean "better", but many of these older bicycles show some quality workmanship. Many have lasted all these years on the road for a reason- good care and quality production.
SirMike1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 04:54 PM   #11
Sianelle 
Sister Annie
 
Sianelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hauraki Plains District, New Zealand
Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My everyday ride is an original condition 1953 Hercules ladies roadster.....



The photo shows my Hercules in the condition in which I found her. All I've done since is keep her cleaned, lubed and serviced and she's a joy to ride
__________________
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Sianelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 05:56 PM   #12
billew
meandering nomad
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newport,Rhode Island
Bikes: eleven bikes no car
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry for no photos (gf lost camera charger) my new daily rider is a 1954 Raleigh Sports all original except handgrips and fulcrum pulley. this bike has the full chaincase all there. our combined age is 103.
billew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 06:28 PM   #13
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianelle View Post
My everyday ride is an original condition 1953 Hercules ladies roadster.....



The photo shows my Hercules in the condition in which I found her. All I've done since is keep her cleaned, lubed and serviced and she's a joy to ride
Sianelle,
Do you have any better pictures of that bike? We have a Hercules Skyliner from that general period and would like to cross check some details. The Skyliner is a single speed freewheel ladies frame with rod brakes. We have been unable to pin down the date. Most of the clues point to the 50's.

Aaron

Here is picture right after it was rescued by Pastor Bob:
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 07:54 PM   #14
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I rode this one to and from the church every day until someone stole the bars, stem, saddle and tires. Actually it came from the same place that I found wahoonc's Hercules. The best estimates of it's age say that it is from 1888-1892. A very early safety with rims for the earliest pnuematic tires. Can you imagine why someone would have left it at the town dump? I can't.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 10:56 PM   #15
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...
Posts: 5,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
I rode this one to and from the church every day until someone stole the bars, stem, saddle and tires. Actually it came from the same place that I found wahoonc's Hercules. The best estimates of it's age say that it is from 1888-1892. A very early safety with rims for the earliest pnuematic tires. Can you imagine why someone would have left it at the town dump? I can't.


Clearly, because it is missing the tires, the handlebars, the seat, and the removable top tube. You could have the last remade. The tires may be problematic. this is a project that, if it fully consumes you, willl ultimately save you a lot of money because you won't be pursuing those no Record campy hubs for your /67 whatever. Good luck and keep us all posted...I recommend Jack at franklin frames for the paint and box lining/pin striping, whatever you decide you need.
luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 05:25 AM   #16
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker View Post
Clearly, because it is missing the tires, the handlebars, the seat, and the removable top tube. You could have the last remade. The tires may be problematic. this is a project that, if it fully consumes you, willl ultimately save you a lot of money because you won't be pursuing those no Record campy hubs for your /67 whatever. Good luck and keep us all posted...I recommend Jack at franklin frames for the paint and box lining/pin striping, whatever you decide you need.
I'm not doing a thing to it. It will probably go to Copake Auction for their annual Antique Bike sale next spring. They and others have suggested not even cleaning the excess dirt off of it.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 04:39 PM   #17
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
c1930s Racing bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston View Post
So, is there any member in "Classic and Vintage" who has a bike made before 1960 that he still rides on a regular basis? If so, I hope you will tell us about your bike, how much of it is still "original", and maybe post some photos.
I go for short rides on a c1930s fixed gear racing bike. I have since added quil pedals and toe clips since the photo was taken. It has had a long and somewhat hard life and the rear wheel needs replacing and the front chainring works loose on the spider after about 10kms. I also have a 1956 Humber Sports with AG three-speed dynohub and full chaincase that I ride occasionally. The humber is just about to get a FG four-speed dynohub and has recieved a reproduction sprung leather saddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Humber.jpg (70.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Old Blue.JPG (88.4 KB, 22 views)
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 04:44 PM   #18
Sianelle 
Sister Annie
 
Sianelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hauraki Plains District, New Zealand
Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not doing a thing to it. It will probably go to Copake Auction for their annual Antique Bike sale next spring. They and others have suggested not even cleaning the excess dirt off of it.
Yes, - if it took a 100 years to get like that why mess with success

Seriously though I'm always dead keen to get hold of a bike that's complete with dirt and cobwebs rather than one that the previous owner has 'tidied up a bit'. As a case in point I was recently able to obtain a 1950s English 'Wearwell' Club Racer in as-pulled-out-of-the-shed condition. It was only after I was able to spend sometime carefully cleaning my way down through the layers of dirt and light surface rust that I discovered such delights as the original owner's name painted on the frame downtube as well as the faded 'Club' transfer/decal that'd been completely invisible before I started to clean away the dirt. An old bike is almost like an archeological dig in some ways and it's very easy to wipe away history forever if you're not careful.

Moving onto the mysteries of Hercules bicycles, - sorry I haven't taken anymore pictures of my '53 Hercules, but as to her 'spec' she is completely un-messed with and while her original paintwork and transfers are pretty tatty I'm just glad that nobody has attempted to freshen-her-up with housepaint and a 3 inch brush.
The frame is of the 'C' tube heavyweight roadster variety which is different to the 'Skyliner' in the picture (Wot an unusual name; - never heard of one of those before). Though I will say that I do own another ladies Hercules that does share the same distinctive frame, but it doesn't have roller lever brakes and Westwood rims and uses caliper brakes instead.
My roadster has a SA 3 speed hub with drum brake; roller lever brakes on the front; 28inch Westwood wheels; 'Wrights' saddle; 3 'H' Chainwheel. Being postwar she doesn't have the wonderful combined 'H' and 'C' reflector on her rear mudguard , but she does have the plain wide deep section mudguards without a raised centre ridge.
Something to look for on your Hercules frame is whether or not she has a threaded boss on the chain side frame stay to mount a fully enclosed chaincase. If she does it's a good rule of thumb that she would've been made in the first half of the 1950s period. I used to have some scans from a Hercules catalogue somewhere, - if I find them I'll post them on the forum.

Cheers,

Annie
__________________
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Sianelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 04:52 PM   #19
Sianelle 
Sister Annie
 
Sianelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hauraki Plains District, New Zealand
Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I go for short rides on a c1930s fixed gear racing bike. I have since added quil pedals and toe clips since the photo was taken. It has had a long and somewhat hard life and the rear wheel needs replacing and the front chainring works loose on the spider after about 10kms. I also have a 1956 Humber Sports with AG three-speed dynohub and full chaincase that I ride occasionally. The humber is just about to get a FG four-speed dynohub and has recieved a reproduction sprung leather saddle.
I love your Humber I used to have one just like yours only it was red. Who was the maker of your track bike? - I know the answer to a question like that can be a mystery sometimes. I purchased an old 1930s Empire track bike recently, but I'm still awaiting its arrival.
__________________
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Sianelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 04:58 PM   #20
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 10,963
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbagatelleblack View Post
Do you subscribe to the magazine "Bicycle Quarterly?"

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html

Some might argue that the editor feels anything YOUNGER than 50 years is not really worth riding.

- FBB
And I thought they just had to be French, I subscribed for a year, but the World View of the editor and primary author was not great reading.
repechage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 05:02 PM   #21
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow...I'm amazed. The oldest bike I've seen anyone riding around Houston was a Schwinn that seemed to be one of those "green" army issue bikes made between 1942 and 1945. People are riding bikes made in 1890?? That's gonna be the winner I suspect.
alanbikehouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 05:06 PM   #22
gnome 
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Bikes: I've lost count.
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianelle View Post
I love your Humber I used to have one just like yours only it was red. Who was the maker of your track bike? - I know the answer to a question like that can be a mystery sometimes. I purchased an old 1930s Empire track bike recently, but I'm still awaiting its arrival.
I have no idea of the maker of the track bike. When I got it it had the handlbars flipped, a carrier and roadster mudguards fitted. It was still on the fixed gear though. It has been repainted and has no badge or decals or distinctive markings. I did decide it was worth saving. Now to get a new 40 hole 28 x 1 3/8 Westwood pattern rim, period pedals, a new Brooks B17, a repaint, recrome the Major Taylor stem and handlebars...
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 05:42 PM   #23
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianelle View Post
Moving onto the mysteries of Hercules bicycles, - sorry I haven't taken anymore pictures of my '53 Hercules, but as to her 'spec' she is completely un-messed with and while her original paintwork and transfers are pretty tatty I'm just glad that nobody has attempted to freshen-her-up with housepaint and a 3 inch brush.
The frame is of the 'C' tube heavyweight roadster variety which is different to the 'Skyliner' in the picture (Wot an unusual name; - never heard of one of those before). Though I will say that I do own another ladies Hercules that does share the same distinctive frame, but it doesn't have roller lever brakes and Westwood rims and uses caliper brakes instead.
My roadster has a SA 3 speed hub with drum brake; roller lever brakes on the front; 28inch Westwood wheels; 'Wrights' saddle; 3 'H' Chainwheel. Being postwar she doesn't have the wonderful combined 'H' and 'C' reflector on her rear mudguard , but she does have the plain wide deep section mudguards without a raised centre ridge.
Something to look for on your Hercules frame is whether or not she has a threaded boss on the chain side frame stay to mount a fully enclosed chaincase. If she does it's a good rule of thumb that she would've been made in the first half of the 1950s period. I used to have some scans from a Hercules catalogue somewhere, - if I find them I'll post them on the forum.

Cheers,

Annie
Annie,
I would love to see some scans of ANY Herc catalogs. The Skyliner is also odd in that the Westwood rims are EA3 26x1-3/8" made by Dunlop. The head badge on ours is just like the one in your avatar. My best guess on age is early 50's.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 05:50 PM   #24
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston View Post
Wow...I'm amazed. The oldest bike I've seen anyone riding around Houston was a Schwinn that seemed to be one of those "green" army issue bikes made between 1942 and 1945. People are riding bikes made in 1890?? That's gonna be the winner I suspect.
Alan, I don't ride the bike I found at the town dump. I was just kidding. The oldest bike I ride regularly is a '62 Schwinn Continental.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 06:05 PM   #25
Sianelle 
Sister Annie
 
Sianelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hauraki Plains District, New Zealand
Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Annie,
I would love to see some scans of ANY Herc catalogs. The Skyliner is also odd in that the Westwood rims are EA3 26x1-3/8" made by Dunlop. The head badge on ours is just like the one in your avatar. My best guess on age is early 50's.

Aaron
My 1947 Raleigh ladies Sports uses 26x1-3/8" Westwood rims made by Dunlop too. I think 26inch Westwoods weren't that uncommon on early postwar English bikes and were commonplace on prewar ladies bikes. I much prefer roller lever brakes anyway, properly setup they work really well and they're easy to maintain and repair.
I'll keep looking for the catalogue scans - I'm still shockingly disorganised at the moment
__________________
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Sianelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 PM.