Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1935 ccm cruiser

    Just stumbled upon a very odd bike at a garage sale. Owners want what I would call silly money for it unfortunately.

    Its a CCM of supposedly 1935-1938 vintage, because those were the only years they made this style frame. The forks have from the side a semi-circular shape, sweeping forwards and then back down to the axle,
    the rear frame seat stays go back behind the axle then curve forwards to become the chain stays. This was (according to the seller) for aerodynamics, though to my mind, looks more for a cushy ride.
    Has what I think is a single speed with coaster brake.

    Anyone heard of such a thing? What would you price it at? Condition is original and rideable but worn and faded.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” Robert A. Heinlein

  2. #2
    Senior Member divineAndbright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    2,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the "flyte" model you're describing, steamlined frame, check out flyte.ca. They are indeed rather rare only made for about 4 years, and they didnt sell to well making them even rarer, so the price they are asking may not be too outta line depending on condition. Last year a repainted terrible condition one missing parts sold for about 700US funds on eBay, and on the flip side I saw another listed over and over for similar price but never sold as far as I know even though it looked a little more respectable condition wise, So I guess you can't really say what its worth, just whatever someones willing to pay for one I guess.

  3. #3
    Upright bars SirMike1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    My Bikes
    Raleighs, Columbias, and Schwinns.
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike is killer! The curves remind me of an old Porsche 911- steamlined, but not it an unnatural sort of way. What would be really nice is if they had a version with caliper brakes and a 3 speed hub (like a streamlined Raleigh Sports).
    English Roadsters, American Roadsters, and Balloon Tire Bicycles
    The Bike Shed classic bicycle blog: http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor~Cal
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by workingbike View Post
    Just stumbled upon a very odd bike at a garage sale. Owners want what I would call silly money for it unfortunately.

    Its a CCM of supposedly 1935-1938 vintage, because those were the only years they made this style frame. The forks have from the side a semi-circular shape, sweeping forwards and then back down to the axle,
    the rear frame seat stays go back behind the axle then curve forwards to become the chain stays. This was (according to the seller) for aerodynamics, though to my mind, looks more for a cushy ride.
    Has what I think is a single speed with coaster brake.

    Anyone heard of such a thing? What would you price it at? Condition is original and rideable but worn and faded.
    What is this "silly money"?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divineAndbright View Post
    Sounds like the "flyte" model you're describing, steamlined frame, check out flyte.ca. They are indeed rather rare only made for about 4 years, and they didnt sell to well making them even rarer, so the price they are asking may not be too outta line depending on condition. Last year a repainted terrible condition one missing parts sold for about 700US funds on eBay, and on the flip side I saw another listed over and over for similar price but never sold as far as I know even though it looked a little more respectable condition wise, So I guess you can't really say what its worth, just whatever someones willing to pay for one I guess.
    Yep, thats it. The bike in question is, as I said, in very sad condition , paintwise. Also the rims seem scrapped up (but round)


    They are asking $800 CAD or best offer.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” Robert A. Heinlein

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor~Cal
    Posts
    1,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by workingbike View Post
    Yep, thats it. The bike in question is, as I said, in very sad condition , paintwise. Also the rims seem scrapped up (but round)


    They are asking $800 CAD or best offer.
    Yeah, that is expensive.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,998
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They obviously know what they have. I wouldn't call that silly money, given the market value of these bicycles. I'm just surprised to see them trying to sell it at a garage sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •