Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Late 70s early 80s narro 7 speed chains

    Who made the late 70s early 80s narrow 7 speed chains? The ones with flush rivets that would work on a normal 5-6 speed rear but would fit the then new 7 speed freewheels. Was it sedis or suntour - or someone else.

    I got a Sachs 7 speed 13-21 freewheel. I was going to sell it, but after cleaning it up, it looks so nice with its chrome plated cogs that I'd like to put it on my wife's Shogun. (Sorry, only Regina Oro for my bike thank you). It would allow me to get rid of the ratty assed black sh!tmano cogset and maybe even the stupid "chain protector" as well.

    But her bike thas that dreadful sh!tmano ultraglide (??) chain that has a WIDER central section (where the opening for the teeth are) - whatever was the purpose of THAT!?!. Anyway, if someone knows the old chain name and model, i could probably find one on ebay, or maybe even Joe Haskins bike shop in Tampa.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rmikkelsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plaistow, NH
    My Bikes
    '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just get something new like a SRAM PC-58 or PC-68?

  3. #3
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmikkelsen View Post
    Why not just get something new like a SRAM PC-58 or PC-68?
    Because it is for my wife's 1987 Shogun, not some 2007 carbon or aluminum overpriced junker - that's why. BTW, please do not ever ask that question regarding my 1978 Professional.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...2&d=1182662347

  4. #4
    NFL Owner monogodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irving Heritage District
    My Bikes
    7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't 7-speed narrow come about in the mid- to late-80s?
    198? Colnago Super (Campy Record) | 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-Eleven Team Issue (Dura Ace) | Catamount MFS (1x8) | Top Image Neptune (SS)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    Because it is for my wife's 1987 Shogun, not some 2007 carbon or aluminum overpriced junker - that's why. BTW, please do not ever ask that question regarding my 1978 Professional.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...2&d=1182662347
    Well, as an ultraglide owner I was going to give you the definitive answer to your question, but since you were so rude to the first guy... nevermind!

  6. #6
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monogodo View Post
    Didn't 7-speed narrow come about in the mid- to late-80s?
    I think you're right, but since this is for a 1987 Shogun, that's ok. I just want to get rid of the ultraglide junk. it's too wide and is noisy...

  7. #7
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    Well, as an ultraglide owner I was going to give you the definitive answer to your question, but since you were so rude to the first guy... nevermind!
    I posted this in the classic and vintage precisely because I DO NOT want people telling me to buy the latest and greatest -whatever- which I have no use for. The sh!tmano UG works but it's BUGLY and noisy. The chain is wider than my Oro chains that are 15 years older. The Sachs would look nicer on her bike. I'll go find a sedisport chain on ebay. Or I'll call my bike store owner friend up in MA, he might even have some still... So thank you for for nothing. I can generally find what I'm looking for but wasn't sure of the brand, but I know now, and i didn't need your non-assistance.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,580
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a shimano 600 uniglide freewheel on my super record equipped italian steed.. Why? It shifts way better than a regina freewheel could ever dream of allowing.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  9. #9
    Senior Member rmikkelsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plaistow, NH
    My Bikes
    '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have SRAM (formerly Sachs) chains on my C-Record equipped 1987 Schwinn Paramount and my Nuovo Record equipped 1978 Kvale, both bikes I treasure for their smooth, responsive rides and aesthetic beauty. The chains, which I believe were recommended by none other than Sheldon Brown, work fine. I would not call them the latest and greatest, just practical and effective.
    Last edited by rmikkelsen; 08-02-07 at 07:50 AM.

  10. #10
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could look for a suntour ultra chain, I believe they were narrower than
    the normal winner chains.
    that said, I'm using SRAM PC58 on most of my vintage bikes. The chain just works well,
    I think it's a bit more 'flexible' in that chainline is not the problem that it was with
    the older chains.
    as for latest and greatest, they're not, they are the same chains that were used for
    7 and 8 speed when they first came out. It's not like we're recommending the 10 speed
    narrow pita chains. .

    marty
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  11. #11
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SACHS 7-speed chain you're looking for is the SC-40 Power Glide:



    Mind you though, even though the pattern of this chain IS different then Shimano IG or HG, both the Shimano IG/HG and SACHS chains (and for that matter, freewheels) were first released in the late-'80s/early-'90s, and it is perfectly acceptable to use HG in it's place (although one should never use Power Glide on an HG freewheel). Neither product existed in the late '70s or early '80s to my knowledge.

    SACHS 7-speed Power Glide freewheel
    (Also came in a box with a '96-dated Nashbar sales sticker):



    For that matter, the same goes for your Power Glide freewheel. Note the box is dated 1996 from Nashbar.

    The Shimano UG chains were designed for the 6-speed UG freewheels and freehubs. The wide tooth pattern was to grab the twist-tooth teeth design, for the twist-tooth design left a rather wide spacing of each cog. When used with the UG freewheels, these chains are a delight. With anything else, especially Suntour, you might run into problems - including the chain chronically dis-engaging then immediately re-engaging.

    Shimano UG 6-speed freewheel and matching chain:


    For the record, TAYA currently makes a perfect replacement for the UG chain, marketed under the Bell brand and sold through - guess where - Wal-Mart. Works great on UG clusters, but avoid them at all costs on anything else, as the same problems that UG has on other freewheels is shared by the TAYA chain.

    Shimano UG 6-speed freewheel with TAYA chain:


    -Kurt
    Last edited by cudak888; 08-02-07 at 08:37 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member divineAndbright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    2,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm currently using a new sram 9 speed chain on my Marinoni with a 7 speed regina freewheel, works beautifully (and better then whatever was available at the time), and looks twice that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    please do not ever ask that question regarding my 1978 Professional.
    Can I ask a question regarding that Velo Plush saddle?
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon
    The correct response is "I live with your mom."

  14. #14
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divineAndbright View Post
    i'm currently using a new sram 9 speed chain on my Marinoni with a 7 speed regina freewheel, works beautifully (and better then whatever was available at the time), and looks twice that.
    That's one thing I do NOT recommend - using 9 or 10 speed chains on 7-speed "stamped-cog" (non-ramped, to be exact - Regina and Suntour, for instance) freewheels - or any 7-speed freewheel. Too many chances for chain skate.

    -Kurt
    Last edited by cudak888; 08-02-07 at 10:59 AM.

  15. #15
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moki View Post
    Can I ask a question regarding that Velo Plush saddle?
    It's a Selle royal not a velo plush. I have the original Brooks Team Pro saddle. It's still hard as a brick after 30 years so i took it off. At least this is still a european seat.

  16. #16
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    That's one thing I do NOT recommend - using 9 or 10 speed chains on 7-speed "stamped-cog" (non-ramped, to be exact - Regina and Suntour, for instance) freewheels - or any 7-speed freewheel. Too many chances for chain skate.

    -Kurt
    Are you sure the old Regina cogs were stamped? There's a groove down the middle of the teeth on all their cogs except the smallest one in any freewheel. you can't stamp that into a cog. That and there's evidence of milling or machining on all the NOS Regina cogs i have here and I have a lot of them.

  17. #17
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    I use a shimano 600 uniglide freewheel on my super record equipped italian steed.. Why? It shifts way better than a regina freewheel could ever dream of allowing.
    I get excellent results with the Oro freewheels and chains, solid shifts - hardly any fiddling with the levers. If Reginas were so bad, why were they used by all the major racers for so long...

  18. #18
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    The SACHS 7-speed chain you're looking for is the SC-40 Power Glide:

    SACHS 7-speed Power Glide freewheel
    (Also came in a box with a '96-dated Nashbar sales sticker):


    -Kurt
    That freewheel looks just like the one i got my hands on. Mine says LY 99 on the 13T cog. I'll find either a sachs power glide or a sedisport chain to go with it.

  19. #19
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    Are you sure the old Regina cogs were stamped? There's a groove down the middle of the teeth on all their cogs except the smallest one in any freewheel. you can't stamp that into a cog. That and there's evidence of milling or machining on all the NOS Regina cogs i have here and I have a lot of them.
    True, they weren't "stamped"-per se, but as they aren't ramped, they certainly have a "stamped" appearance to them, hence my rather incorrect slang for the non-ramped FWs.


    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    I get excellent results with the Oro freewheels and chains, solid shifts - hardly any fiddling with the levers. If Reginas were so bad, why were they used by all the major racers for so long...
    I find both enjoyable. True, the UGs shift smoother, but the nice solid "clunk" when shifting on a Regina freewheel is equally enjoyable. I'd say it is personal preference. Some people like a good clunk when shifting, some people like smooth shifting, and some people want ultra-smooth shifting.

    Case in point, there was a post here recently extolling the virtues of the Shimano Hyperglide (HG) ramped freewheels, both in indexed and friction mode. Many people love 'em, and some don't.

    Me? I think HG is very nice for an indexed bike, but I can't stand them in friction mode - they always ghost shift for me unless I have them spot-on, which is something that wouldn't plague me when running friction on a non-ramped or UG freewheel. As for friction shifting, I like both the reassuring noises of the Regina and the slick shifting of the UG, and I'll choose which one I'll ride on depending on the mood I'm in.

    Incidentally, I did once ride a Univega outfitted with Suntour's non-ramped, trigger-shift Xpress shifting system for upright bars, and I must say it was the slickest thumb indexing I've ever used - not because of ramping, or the lack of it, but because of the shifters - smooth as butter, and one could climb or dump the entire cluster in one thumb movement (and both actions with the same thumb under the bar - nothing like the under/over Shimano system) if one wishes. That's MY idea of ideal indexed shifting, others may beg to differ.

    Best of luck on that search for the SC-40 chain. It was very common as replacement chain - shouldn't take long to find it.

    -Kurt

  20. #20
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These chains should do you:

    Definitely the real deal - newer production, but same chain pattern/design:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SACHS-SEDIS-BICY...QQcmdZViewItem

    Newer production as well, but oddly enough, 8-speed compatible. I've never seen SACHS 8-speed, so I wouldn't know if cog spacing or chain width differs from the 7-speed stuff, although I'd take a guess it is (either that, or it is the same stuff, marketed as 8-speed chain in an effort to convince folks to buy new chains when they converted to 8-speed, tagging along on the Shimano 7/8 speed chain requirement hype):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

    -Kurt

  21. #21
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    These chains should do you:

    Definitely the real deal - newer production, but same chain pattern/design:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SACHS-SEDIS-BICY...QQcmdZViewItem

    Newer production as well, but oddly enough, 8-speed compatible. I've never seen SACHS 8-speed, so I wouldn't know if cog spacing or chain width differs from the 7-speed stuff, although I'd take a guess it is (either that, or it is the same stuff, marketed as 8-speed chain in an effort to convince folks to buy new chains when they converted to 8-speed, tagging along on the Shimano 7/8 speed chain requirement hype):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

    -Kurt
    Thanks Kurt. that seller had no idea if it would work (i asked him), but I'll try and get it per your recommendation. There was also an older Sedisport that went too high for me earlier this week.

    The Sachs that I have is a 7 speed, very similar to the regina 7 speed s of the mid 80s, and the same width - about 2-3mm wider than a 6 speed ORO.

    What is a "ramped" freewheel? Is the shimano UG such a thing or is it somthing else. Or is it one of those with the cog teeth all lined up neatly (something that cannot be done with threeaded cogs)???

  22. #22
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,815
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SRAM PC-58 is a direct descendant of the great Sedisport chains of ages now past. It is also inexpensive and higher quality than any chain you could get back then. If you're willing to hunt for "suitable" vintage chains, well, that's your business - but chewing out some guy for suggesting you consider a perfectly acceptable, unpretentious, inexpensive and high-quality modern alternative is totally uncalled-for. There are many vintage components which I can understand wanting to preserve and use, rather than some possibly better-performing modern alternative, but not chains. I use the SRAM PC-58 on all my old steelies - though I only have one at the moment - and it's a great upgrade. It's what I use on my new steelie, too!

    A "ramped" freewheel is one with ramps machined into the sides of the cogs that are designed to grab the chain on an upshift and help it mesh more smoothly onto the new gear. They're very nice with indexed shifting. Because friction shifting is generally a bit smoother and slower anyway, it's often possible to achieve literally noiseless shifts when they are used with friction. Some folks like that, some don't.

  23. #23
    Bike Nut
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wastin' away again in Dorawoodyville
    My Bikes
    Trek 400T Elance, Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, Miyata 1000, Electra Townie 7D, Burley tandem
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    Who made the late 70s early 80s narrow 7 speed chains? The ones with flush rivets that would work on a normal 5-6 speed rear but would fit the then new 7 speed freewheels. Was it sedis or suntour - or someone else.
    Sedis.

    The Sedisport narrow chain with a Suntour New Winner Ultra 7 12 - 18 straight block was my favorite set up for racing in the early 80s. I stunk, but my drivetrain was great.

  24. #24
    Campy NR / SR forever cadillacmike68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL
    My Bikes
    1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    The SRAM PC-58 is a direct descendant of the great Sedisport chains of ages now past. It is also inexpensive and higher quality than any chain you could get back then. If you're willing to hunt for "suitable" vintage chains, well, that's your business - but chewing out some guy for suggesting you consider a perfectly acceptable, unpretentious, inexpensive and high-quality modern alternative is totally uncalled-for. There are many vintage components which I can understand wanting to preserve and use, rather than some possibly better-performing modern alternative, but not chains. I use the SRAM PC-58 on all my old steelies - though I only have one at the moment - and it's a great upgrade. It's what I use on my new steelie, too!

    A "ramped" freewheel is one with ramps machined into the sides of the cogs that are designed to grab the chain on an upshift and help it mesh more smoothly onto the new gear. They're very nice with indexed shifting. Because friction shifting is generally a bit smoother and slower anyway, it's often possible to achieve literally noiseless shifts when they are used with friction. Some folks like that, some don't.
    I guess we'll have to disagree, because I'll never put anything except a Regina ORO (or Record - if I can ever find one decently priced) chain on my Professional

  25. #25
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,845
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    ... I use the SRAM PC-58 on all my old steelies ...
    As do I.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •