Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member catatonia72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with Nishiki Olympic

    Hi everyone,

    I'm new to the forums (and to biking) but I've been reading your posts trying to build up my knowledge. I bought a Nishiki Olympic and I'm trying to get more information about it (mainly the date). I tried dating the components but it hasn't worked out...the Shimano rear derailer has this number: L523 VIA and front has 2204 VIA. I looked under the bottom bracket for the serial number and not sure which one it is. I see:

    C 68
    G0886 or G0386 (can't make it out)
    6127558

    Cranks are Sugino VP, Shimano Light Action derailers, 6 speed cassette, SR seat post, Specialized stem, front rim is Araya, rear is a generic replacement, diacompe brakes and levers, headset is Tange Seiki Levin No. NL 500. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,812
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6-speed freewheel, low-flange hubs, and sidepull brakes suggest early 1980s, when the Olympic had morphed into a pretty decent bike. The original early 1970s Olympic was a heavy affair, with steel rims, cottered crankset, and very thickwalled frame tubing.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  3. #3
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking at the derailers again. Look for a small, two letter combination. I'm guessing the first of the two letters will be an f, g, h, i, or j. When you find that date code, compare it to the letters for Shimano component date codes here:
    http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm
    If the month code is high, like Sept. to Dec. add one year to the year code. That will be a good estimate of the correct date. Or wait for T-Mar to read your thread and he should be able to nail it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  4. #4
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, that's a really nice bike.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  5. #5
    Junior Member catatonia72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    Try looking at the derailers again. Look for a small, two letter combination. I'm guessing the first of the two letters will be an f, g, h, i, or j. When you find that date code, compare it to the letters for Shimano component date codes here:
    http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm
    If the month code is high, like Sept. to Dec. add one year to the year code. That will be a good estimate of the correct date. Or wait for T-Mar to read your thread and he should be able to nail it.
    Ah, I see an HL between the limit stop screws which would make it 1983/84?

  6. #6
    Junior Member catatonia72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    BTW, that's a really nice bike.
    I bet you say that to all the Nishikis. = )

    I took it to the LBS for a repair estimate (the chainrings are bent) and they said the spider is also bent. They recommended replacing the cranks, chainrings, cassette, and chain so it'll cost around $150 and I had paid $130 for the bike. Perhaps I can find cheaper parts on Ebay... I was debating whether or not to get a new bike and they tempted me with a Raleigh Grand Sport or a new Bianchi they had built using a kit (both bikes were around $650-750). I would hate giving up my Nishiki and I don't have room for 2 bikes but I'm wondering if the Nishiki is worth fixing up. I mainly go on shorter rides (15 miles or so) but I'm looking to go on longer ones.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The H & L between the travel adjustment screws are the identifiers for the "high" and "low" screws. The Light Action 523 rear deraileur was introduced in 1986. The 1987 model was actually designated an Olympic 12 and used the L525 rear derailleur, so this would appear to be a 1986 model.

  8. #8
    Junior Member catatonia72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    The H & L between the travel adjustment screws are the identifiers for the "high" and "low" screws.
    Doh! I really need to start reading more post to brush up on my knowledge. Thanks very much for the help.

  9. #9
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,294
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have too many cranks and chainrings... and if you wait in line behind the other items I have awaiting shipping, I can send something out to you for cost of shipping... Do you want a triple or a double? I'll let you know what I have available... You may have to use your own chainring bolts and other hardware, but I even have a couple of old bottom brackets...

    Also, you probably have a freewheel and not a cassette... If so, would you like a 5 or 6 speed? I have a couple of those I'll never use either. I may even have a 7 speed if someone who was asking about it doesn't get back to me. Need anything else?

    BTW - for those of you awaiting shipping, as soon as I finish studying for Friday's test, I will get everything ready for shipping... really!!!!

    Chainrings, derailleur and levers... you all know who you are. If I missed anyone, send me a reminder
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #10
    Junior Member catatonia72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I have too many cranks and chainrings... and if you wait in line behind the other items I have awaiting shipping, I can send something out to you for cost of shipping... Do you want a triple or a double? I'll let you know what I have available... You may have to use your own chainring bolts and other hardware, but I even have a couple of old bottom brackets...

    Also, you probably have a freewheel and not a cassette... If so, would you like a 5 or 6 speed? I have a couple of those I'll never use either. I may even have a 7 speed if someone who was asking about it doesn't get back to me. Need anything else?

    BTW - for those of you awaiting shipping, as soon as I finish studying for Friday's test, I will get everything ready for shipping... really!!!!

    Chainrings, derailleur and levers... you all know who you are. If I missed anyone, send me a reminder
    You are too kind! I really appreciate this especially since I'm a poor graduate student/English teacher. I'll send you a private message soon and I can't wait to fix up this bike.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have that same frameset right now as a fixed gear conversion. to bad one of my friends dented the chainstay in with a big pylon.

  12. #12
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,812
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to rebuild your driveline using eBay parts, and as you have seen in LD's post, many of us here on BF C&V have stashes of parts, including some surplus to sell or donate.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •