Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Galmozzi Questions

    Hey I Have One-are They Collectable? I Foound One Reference On Classic Roundevous? Help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member amnomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool lets see some rooster pics!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Galmozzi Rooster Pics Coming Soon!

    I Have A New Digital And Am Cleaning The Bike......it Is In Great Condition-all Campy W/ High Flange Record On Ma40's

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they are "collectable". The MA 40's are probably not original. Post pics or more info if you want more info.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, extend every courtesy to the newbie. I sent him over from craigslist. I gave all of you C&V experts my personal recommendation. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member divineAndbright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    2,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant wait to see it, gotta love rooster decals!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Galmozzi

    I'll post photo tomorrow----What else can you guys tell me..........

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pogliaghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Great American Southwest
    My Bikes
    77 Cinelli SC, 60s Cinelli SC, 1960 Bianchi Specialissima, Mid 60s Pogliaghi Pista, 73 Masi GC, Early 80s Freschi Supreme, 37 Baines "Flying Gate", 49 Gloria, 39 Torpado, 72 Grandis "Super Leggera", 72 Carlton, 80's De Rosa, 80's Gangl. '85 Zullo.
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also look forward to seeing photos! I would love to find a Galmozzi!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard they are up there with Masi's and Colnogo's and Cinelli's..............Yes? I have a Italian Masi too

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH yeah.............I "campy ignorant" How do you date the components? Is there a link-I heard there are letters and circles or squares? The components are in fantastic condition but the seat post is selle royale? and of course a newer saddle.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
    Posts
    5,775
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One friend I rode with in the early 70s had one. Quite nice, I understand they are now a bit rare and quite desirable. The hub locknuts are usually the quickest reference, if original.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Galmozzis are fairly rare and are getting more and more collectible as more folks hear about them. They are very nicely made bikes. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with any of the other top small Italian builders. The famous rooster headbadge is actually a play on the maker's name: gallo = rooster, mozzi = hub. The headbadge is a rooster astride a hub. I would love to own a Galmozzi, and have been on the lookout for one for some time. That and a Picchio Special were at the top of my Italian desirable list - guess which one I found first. I've seen one up close that dates from the early 70's - very nicely made and well-finished, though not as filed to death as one would expect from an Eisentraut or Carlsbad Masi. Just really nice, handmade, small-producer Italian steel.
    Last edited by Picchio Special; 10-25-07 at 07:12 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #14
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,625
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webike4fun,

    here is a good start on date codes:
    http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm
    also check out
    http://www.campyonly.com/phpBB2/index.php
    there is a wealth of information over there.

    You have an Italian Masi? we need pictures, details of frame etc.
    you've hit the motherlode.

    marty
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Galmozzi cont..........

    Yeah I scored.........this one was repainted by Brian Bayless too! Chrome forks, chainstay and NO RUST!
    I got it from Ye Olde Bike Shoppe here in San Diego.....Anyone in the SD area who knows the owner Dave he is a great guy as is his son Dave JR..........

  16. #16
    Senior Member Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Galmozzi as a shop, was set up in the 1920's when Galmozzi senior left Gloria as he felt that Focesi (the owner of Gloria) was not sufficiently interested in racing. He therefore set up his own shop and later taught his son to also build. Galmozzi junior retired in the late 70's, so your rims are most definitely original. Galmozzi built their own top of the line models, but also marketed some low end bikes sourced from other makers (the same as Colnago, Pinarello, De Rosa...).

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the pics:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140173760172

    All in all pretty disappointing. Re-paint, mis-matched parts, and a sloppy build.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    RE: GALMOZZI /Ebay Bike

    Sorry doen't meet your standards.... I'm new to the vintage stuff and the guys I trust here in san Diego were pretty stoked....Everyone thought it was in great condition. I did not know about the re-paint but Cyclearts, well who else would you have paint your bike besides maybe Joe Bell, also here in san Diego. A Galmozzi is RARE....I've only seen one. The new owner will be stoked! BIG PICTURE GUYS:-a cheap tiawanese carbon bike is 3000.00 and Trek has pimped all there carbon stuff out too. So we are in a very limited market for classic steel framsets. This one with the period correct adjustments will be a GREAT vintage ride. When the cycling world rediscovers steel, as I believe it will, this framesets with be worth a lot more...I know people in the vintage car market and their debates are the same....which year Mustang was the best or the GTO that sold a the Barrett Auto auction had machined brake calipers not the original.......Well the car is still rare and cool.....And thats what the new owner paid for.....So, the Galmozzi, despite the criticisms, is still a really cool vintage bike. And the new owner can add his own "sweat" equity to the bike by finding the period correct parts and that is why we do this vintage thing: the process and the the history. Cheap Tiawanese bikes have no soul. This bike, as many of the vintage bikes you have, have soul! We all know it, we can feel it and thats what make us different and out bikes different! MY .02

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
    Posts
    5,775
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I thought the white 54cm just sold on ebay, looked pretty nice, though not my size, not in my price range and I've only seen them in silver... but I'd guess, a) someone really wanted it, regardless of price, and b) may already have to right parts to improve the "correctness". Certainly tougher than a Cinelli or Masi to find.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was mine! Came from an estate sale. Bike had a ton of dust! But everything worked great. Everyone who saw it was impressed. I had emails from the purists and they had some interesting comments but most really were inpressed. I'm a newbie but learning quickly that there are some real experts out there and they do not hesitate to put their .02 in.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webike4fun View Post
    Sorry doesn't meet your standards.... I'm new to the vintage stuff and the guys I trust here in san Diego were pretty stoked....Everyone thought it was in great condition. I did not know about the re-paint but Cyclearts, well who else would you have paint your bike besides maybe Joe Bell, also here in san Diego. A Galmozzi is RARE....I've only seen one. The new owner will be stoked! BIG PICTURE GUYS:-a cheap tiawanese carbon bike is 3000.00 and Trek has pimped all there carbon stuff out too. So we are in a very limited market for classic steel framsets. This one with the period correct adjustments will be a GREAT vintage ride. When the cycling world rediscovers steel, as I believe it will, this framesets with be worth a lot more...I know people in the vintage car market and their debates are the same....which year Mustang was the best or the GTO that sold at the Barrett Auto auction had new, machined brake calipers not the original ones.......And there are no original brake calipers on the planet! Well, the car is still rare and cool.....And thats what the new owner paid for.....So, the Galmozzi, despite the criticisms, is still a really cool vintage bike. And the new owner can add his own "sweat" equity to the bike by finding the period correct parts and that is why we do this vintage thing: the process and the the history. Cheap Tiawanese bikes have no soul. This bike, as many of the vintage bikes you have, have soul! We all know it, we can feel it and thats what make us different and our bikes different! MY .02
    Sorry - I'm with Otis on this one, based on the pics he linked to. This bike is an object lesson in the fact that, when it comes to truly collectible bikes, a so-so restoration is worse than no restoration at all. Does the item description even mention that this is a repaint? In any case, despite what the auction description says, there is a TON of work (and expense) involved before this bike will be a showpiece. Hope the new owner knows that, but in his frenzy to punch the BIN and score a Galmozzi, I suspect not. Unlike the OP, I am not new to the vintage stuff, and that bike isn't worth what the seller paid, in my informed opinion.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SUNNY DIEGO....Near Mission Trails
    My Bikes
    Serotta Colorado II, Colnago Team Bukler, Celo Europa (s)
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    RE: Galmozzi

    Question: Is a Joe Bell or Cycle Arts re-paint good or bad? I was under the impression, from the prices they are getting, they were the benchmark of cycling painting AND if you wanted to own a rare and collectable, like the Galmozzi, AND it was re-painted, this would be, obviously not as good a mint original paint, but the next best thing? The bike sold for 2499 and this was based on what I have seen older Colnagos and Cinellis IN WORSE condition sell for.......I would think you guys would try to find some positive things to say too.....It is a cool bike....How often do you see em'

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My Bikes
    Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
    Posts
    5,775
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Cyclart paintjob is good, some others may be better, all are costly. I think some people are thinking that for those dollars it should have been "better", more "original" and more period "correct". However, as I said, it's a tough bike to find, probably fits the buyer and is just what they were looking for, hence the buy-it-now. Some other day on ebay there may be another that is better, or worse, and it will sell for less, or more than that one. Not my size, not my price range but I'd guess both buyer and seller are happy.

    Look at it this way, it was probably a well used, well loved bike. At some time it needed a new paint job; over the last 36 years parts broke, parts were upgraded (in fact, I think they were sold as frames in the US), tastes changed, different seats are tried. Maybe the owner couldn't afford the Campagnolo brakes until the 80s? A bike is only period correct when its in the shop, after that, its a work in progress. Some people care to keep them original, many could care less and use whatever comes their way to keep riding. The collector obsession is a relatively recent event.

    I love them, but they're just old bikes. 99.9% of the people in the world don't care at all.

    I certainly can't presume to understand what the buyer knows or does not know, or fault them for how they want to spend their money.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webike4fun View Post
    Question: Is a Joe Bell or Cycle Arts re-paint good or bad? I was under the impression, from the prices they are getting, they were the benchmark of cycling painting AND if you wanted to own a rare and collectable, like the Galmozzi, AND it was re-painted, this would be, obviously not as good a mint original paint, but the next best thing? The bike sold for 2499 and this was based on what I have seen older Colnagos and Cinellis IN WORSE condition sell for.......I would think you guys would try to find some positive things to say too.....It is a cool bike....How often do you see em'
    Those Colnagos and Cinellis sold for more because often, worse condition is better, if it's original.
    The next best thing to mint original paint is patinaed original paint. Next best thing to that is pretty-well-patinaed original paint (say, 6 on a 10 scale). (This is for relatively rare bikes, not for every 80's Colnago Super out there.) Then we get to a correctly done repaint in the heirarchy of collectable condition. And this one is not original - i.e. at least one of the decals may be incorrect, and it's probably had braze-ons added. Hence, restoring the bike doesn't just involve finding the period parts, but a whole new repaint and braze-on removal. I'm not saying it's junk, by any means. It's a pretty cool bike. I just wonder if the buyer knew what he or she was getting in their haste to grab it, as the description implies that the bike is in substantially original condition, with very little investment needed in order to make it a "showpiece." In it's current condition, I don't believe it's a $2500 bike - which is not to say it's not worth that to the seller regardless. It very well may be. But I don't think that negates legitimate analysis of the bike and/or its sale price. I think it's logical to wonder whether the fact that it sold for $2500 has anything to do with a disconnect between the description and the actual bike in question.
    Last edited by Picchio Special; 10-31-07 at 02:42 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webike4fun View Post
    Sorry doesn't meet your standards.... I'm new to the vintage stuff and the guys I trust here in san Diego were pretty stoked....Everyone thought it was in great condition. I did not know about the re-paint but Cyclearts, well who else would you have paint your bike besides maybe Joe Bell, also here in san Diego. A Galmozzi is RARE....I've only seen one. The new owner will be stoked! BIG PICTURE GUYS:-a cheap tiawanese carbon bike is 3000.00 and Trek has pimped all there carbon stuff out too. So we are in a very limited market for classic steel framsets. This one with the period correct adjustments will be a GREAT vintage ride. When the cycling world rediscovers steel, as I believe it will, this framesets with be worth a lot more...I know people in the vintage car market and their debates are the same....which year Mustang was the best or the GTO that sold at the Barrett Auto auction had new, machined brake calipers not the original ones.......And there are no original brake calipers on the planet! Well, the car is still rare and cool.....And thats what the new owner paid for.....So, the Galmozzi, despite the criticisms, is still a really cool vintage bike. And the new owner can add his own "sweat" equity to the bike by finding the period correct parts and that is why we do this vintage thing: the process and the the history. Cheap Tiawanese bikes have no soul. This bike, as many of the vintage bikes you have, have soul! We all know it, we can feel it and thats what make us different and our bikes different! MY .02
    Nothing wrong with being "new" to something, nobody is born knowing anything. But to me it's best to learn a little more on the subject before making big claims and assumptions.

    If you had followed up with pictures on your original thread I think you would have received the facts needed to sell this bike properly. Not just going off half-cocked that it's RARE. I think you got lucky that somebody bought it at your price. If they're happy with their purchase so be it.

    It still is a great bike, but unfortunately restored at a time when the appreciation of bikes like this was very limited. The "soul" you speak of was removed from the this bike at that time paint was stripped off.

    So now the bike should go to Joe Bell, or Brian Baylis. Have the offending braze-on's removed and re-painted with proper decals. Excellent original parts will need to be tracked down. And in the end the new owner will have about five grand invested in a really nice Galmozzi restoration. Will it be worth it? To somebody, probably yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •