Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Prodigal Son
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Campy Super Record range/capacity

    maybe i'm not using the right key words, but i can't seem to find one of the two answers i was looking for....

    i am in the process of replacing my early 90s dura-ace with campy super record, and am currently running an 8-speed 13-26. it seems that the SR will handle the 26 without issues (or maybe even up to 28 from what i've seen). does anyone have experience or knowledge regarding wither or not the SR rear derailleur will handle an 8-speed cassette or freewheel?

  2. #2
    juneeaa memba!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    boogled up in...Idaho!
    My Bikes
    Crap. The box is not big enough...
    Posts
    5,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll work. Depends a little on the geometry of the bike (mostly the chainstay length; shorter chainstays = more deflection in the chain, and more noise). The derailleur will adjust for 8 speeds, but there is no "B" screw...the jockey wheel may contact the largest cogs and make a minor racket. I have seen both outcomes.

    Best advice is to try it - I have a couple of bikes running that combination (although 24 is the largest cog on mine). It won't index worth a crap, though...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 26 will not be a problem, but where you might get bad performance is if you have a large spread like a 53/39 up front. If you have switched to a Campy 144bcd crank as well, I would suggest going with 50/42, or even a 48 if you don't need big cruising gears.

    It will still work ok with the standard 52/42, but you'll get a lot of front der rub in between ratios.

  4. #4
    Prodigal Son
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone....I will be using a SR crankset with 53 and 42 tooth chainrings.....I hadn't thought the front would be too much of an issue....there isn't any way to make adjustments for the rubbing?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,667
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICU Doc View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone....I will be using a SR crankset with 53 and 42 tooth chainrings.....I hadn't thought the front would be too much of an issue....there isn't any way to make adjustments for the rubbing?
    No one asked if it was a later Super Record (with the printed script) which will work better than an earlier one. If you are using an earlier front changer, pre leading face lip, it might work a bit better, these are tricky to perfectly place to minimize noise and prevent overshifts, and excess trimming of the front after a multiple cog move in the rear, as was stated earlier, longer chainstays help, so can moving the rear axle aft if horizontal dropout equipped. Keep track of the chain length, what worked with Shimano may not with Campagnolo. The mid 80's was a great time to be a bike mechanic, you were needed, customers brought gifts.

  6. #6
    juneeaa memba!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    boogled up in...Idaho!
    My Bikes
    Crap. The box is not big enough...
    Posts
    5,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are welcome. Next time i'm in new york, do I get a discount at your ICU?

    Oh, and hey, could you post a pic or two of what you're converting? That is a fairly uncommon thing that you're doing...

  7. #7
    Prodigal Son
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luker View Post
    you are welcome. Next time i'm in new york, do I get a discount at your ICU?

    Oh, and hey, could you post a pic or two of what you're converting? That is a fairly uncommon thing that you're doing...

    I don't even get a discount for my own ICU if I get admitted. Go figure with the wonderful health care system we have...but the politics of that are another issue altogether....

    Not sure what you want pics of....I have photos of my bike, but no closeups of the components.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ICU Doc; 11-18-07 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Prodigal Son
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage View Post
    No one asked if it was a later Super Record (with the printed script) which will work better than an earlier one. If you are using an earlier front changer, pre leading face lip, it might work a bit better, these are tricky to perfectly place to minimize noise and prevent overshifts, and excess trimming of the front after a multiple cog move in the rear, as was stated earlier, longer chainstays help, so can moving the rear axle aft if horizontal dropout equipped. Keep track of the chain length, what worked with Shimano may not with Campagnolo. The mid 80's was a great time to be a bike mechanic, you were needed, customers brought gifts.
    The front derailleur has block printing on it, so I guess it is one of the early models.
    Last edited by ICU Doc; 11-18-07 at 01:47 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,470
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 7speed sante freewheel with 26tooth big on my super record bike, I have a 6 speed regina, but the twist tooth freewheel improves shifting immensely, I know a fellow who was running a nuovo record rear on a 10speed cassette but could only get it to swing 9 of the cogs which was fine with him. If you have been riding the dura-ace bike for a while you will notice one thing mainly, that is much poorer performance. Super record seems so damn primitive compared to something like 8 speed dura-ace.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  10. #10
    juneeaa memba!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    boogled up in...Idaho!
    My Bikes
    Crap. The box is not big enough...
    Posts
    5,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Basso needs super record, though...here's to hoping none of us need an ICU anytime soon.

  11. #11
    Disraeli Gears Charles Wahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Riding: 1960s Falcon commuter; Queued: 1977 Bob Jackson, 1983 Serotta Club Special, 1984 Motobécane Team Champion, 1983 Guerciotti SLX, 1974 Harding (like Holdsworth Pro), 1974 Peugeot PX10LE, 1970s Jeunet Franche-Comté, 1974 Raleigh International
    Posts
    3,003
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Raleigh/Campy SR with relatively short chainstays (41.5), 52/42 in front and 13-26 Suntour Ultra-7 on the rear. The rear derailler shifts just fine with all that; no problems getting onto the 26 at all, no twist teeth. My derailler is one with the black, and silver script "Campagnolo" logo. I happen to prefer primitive. When riding the Trek MTB I bought for my son, with Shimano (La-Z-boy) index shifters/deraillers that change silently when you just wish for it, I have to laugh to myself: "you call that a shift?"

  12. #12
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    I run a 7speed sante freewheel with 26tooth big on my super record bike, I have a 6 speed regina, but the twist tooth freewheel improves shifting immensely, I know a fellow who was running a nuovo record rear on a 10speed cassette but could only get it to swing 9 of the cogs which was fine with him. If you have been riding the dura-ace bike for a while you will notice one thing mainly, that is much poorer performance. Super record seems so damn primitive compared to something like 8 speed dura-ace.
    I think a 1st-gen Chorus would handle your range very well.

    Road Fan

  13. #13
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,470
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I think a 1st-gen Chorus would handle your range very well.

    Road Fan
    you mean his bike? as in the guy I know who was using a nuovo record with a 10 speed cassette? Yeah probably. I have 2 first gen. chorus. I think they are awesome. I like the adjustment, it's a unique little piece of history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
    ....no problems getting onto the 26 at all, no twist teeth. My derailler is one with the black, and silver script "Campagnolo" logo. I happen to prefer primitive.
    I wasn't suggesting that twist teeth have any affect on the ability of the derailleur to handle 26 or even 28 tooth cogs... just sayin' is all, that UG twist tooth cogs shift better no matter which was you slice it, no matter what derailleur you're using. Hey I'm using a Regina chain.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  14. #14
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,493
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run an 86 Super Record R.derailleur with a 52/42 up front and a 12-28 7sp on the back. Shifts well enough for my desires.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    you mean his bike? as in the guy I know who was using a nuovo record with a 10 speed cassette? Yeah probably. I have 2 first gen. chorus. I think they are awesome. I like the adjustment, it's a unique little piece of history.



    I wasn't suggesting that twist teeth have any affect on the ability of the derailleur to handle 26 or even 28 tooth cogs... just sayin' is all, that UG twist tooth cogs shift better no matter which was you slice it, no matter what derailleur you're using. Hey I'm using a Regina chain.
    I had a !st Gen Chorus on my Mondonico with 52/40 and 14/28 - seamless shifting! who needs indexing?

    Road Fan

  16. #16
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    10,758
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    you mean his bike? as in the guy I know who was using a nuovo record with a 10 speed cassette? Yeah probably. I have 2 first gen. chorus. I think they are awesome. I like the adjustment, it's a unique little piece of history.



    I wasn't suggesting that twist teeth have any affect on the ability of the derailleur to handle 26 or even 28 tooth cogs... just sayin' is all, that UG twist tooth cogs shift better no matter which was you slice it, no matter what derailleur you're using. Hey I'm using a Regina chain.
    Sorry, 'Toine, I was referring to the OP.

    'Fan

  17. #17
    Prodigal Son
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I think a 1st-gen Chorus would handle your range very well.

    Road Fan
    Thanks but I've already purchased many mid-1980s Campy SR components including the derailleurs. This was a gruppo I'd been eyeing since I was a college student way back when I was a college student in the 1980s.

    I appreciate the input though.

  18. #18
    juneeaa memba!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    boogled up in...Idaho!
    My Bikes
    Crap. The box is not big enough...
    Posts
    5,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and they'll all work just fine once you get the setup tuned. The Campy stuff requires user interaction, unlike the modern parts mixes. Nothing wrong with that; excellence comes as part of a package of bike and rider. That is still excellence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •