Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need a Campy BB, but what? redux

    I had this thread in Mechanics earlier, but I think this might be a better place. I'm still confused.

    I have an early Chorus crankset that I want to put on my Trek 610 to try a 172.5 arm length. I need a BB. I know it needs an English thread.

    Speaking to Vecchio's, I'm told if it has an engraved shield logo, it is 1993 or earlier, and it needs a 111 mm BB with symmetrical ends. The Centaur BB and the AC-H 111 are examples of a good fit. Mine has a printed shield logo, but no word "Chorus" with the arm length. It also has the date code "41" engraved in a square. C-record BBs should also work in this case.

    I also read on Branford's website that if it's before 1995 it can use those parts, but if it's later it needs a 102 mm BB. However, I don't know how to tell if it's from the 102 mm era or definitely in the 111 era? Can anyone help with this?

    In the previous thread I posted a picture and, was told I have a first generation crankset. However, my parts do not have an engraved shield logo.

    Can anyone help me straighten this out and decide what to buy?

    Road Fan

  2. #2
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,553
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st generation chorus cranks did not have an engraved shield logo. It should have a silk screened or painted or whatever logo. 41 in a square as far as I can tell would be 1989. This is just a hunch of mine. It sounds like 1st gen. so yes you need the 111mm. I'll throw this out there... Leigh30's new bike has a 111mm athena in it which will work for you. As far as I know he does not need it, perhaps you should contact him. I know he needs a record BB (114.5mm english for super record cranks) trade?
    Last edited by cyclotoine; 11-20-07 at 02:38 PM.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  3. #3
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    1st generation chorus did not have an engraved shield logo. It should have a silk screened or painted or whatever logo. 41 in a square as far as I can tell would be 1989. This is just a hunch of mine. It sounds like 1st gen. so yes you need the 111mm. I'll throw this out there... Leigh30's new bike has a 111mm athena in it which will work for you. As far as I know he does not need it, perhaps you should contact him. I know he needs a record BB (114.5mm english for super record cranks) trade?
    Ok, I need a 111 mm BB, typical good examples include a Centaur or an AC-H 111.

    Regarding a trade, I have a NR, not an SR, but it's NOS and would be worth a lot more than Leigh30's Athena.

    Road Fan

  4. #4
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,553
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Ok, I need a 111 mm BB, typical good examples include a Centaur or an AC-H 111.

    Regarding a trade, I have a NR, not an SR, but it's NOS and would be worth a lot more than Leigh30's Athena.

    Road Fan
    Well the only true super record BB would have a titanium spindle, I guuuueeeeesss... so really you want a plane old record or nuovo record (i.e. thick cups) for super record cranks that you are actually riding, anyway... but yeah... I realize a record/nuovo record BB is worth more, especially nos, so I left it up to you to work something out if you wanted to.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  5. #5
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    Well the only true super record BB would have a titanium spindle, I guuuueeeeesss... so really you want a plane old record or nuovo record (i.e. thick cups) for super record cranks that you are actually riding, anyway... but yeah... I realize a record/nuovo record BB is worth more, especially nos, so I left it up to you to work something out if you wanted to.
    I understand that and appreciate it, Cyclotoine! Many tthanks for sharing what you know about cranks and about opportunities! You have definitely helped me to figure out what to do.

    Road Fan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •