Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ron Wood is cool.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    My Bikes
    1980 Peugeot PKN10, '82 PSV10, '88PH10 and a 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez.
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Peugeot PX10, PY10

    What exactly are the differences between a px10 and a py10? Does anyone know the price premium a py10 commanded over the px?
    You know judge, my dad... never liked you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    12,100
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PY10's were a custom order bike. In most cases they were available as a frame only and hand build to the customers specification. They used the light butted Reynolds tubes. As time passed the PY became the CFX (super competion framset), PRO10 (complete bike built to customer specs CY10FC (carbon frameset). Peugeot had custom order bikes available through the late 90's.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  3. #3
    Ernst Henri mr. peugeot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    northern Indiana
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were PY10s built with Reynolds 531 SL?

  4. #4
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    12,100
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Reynolds expert by any stretch. One of my catalogs lists 2, possibly 3, different PY models.

    PY10C with Reynolds tubing
    PY10CP with Reynolds 5/10 tubing and

    'Possible options' of Cadre Leger Reynolds 3/10---Lightweight frame with Reynolds 3/10 butted tubing.

    So, to answer your question...it depends. Some were and some weren't.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  5. #5
    Old Skeptic stronglight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    My Bikes
    19 road bikes & 1 Track bike
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Ocana 1973 View Post
    What exactly are the differences between a px10 and a py10? Does anyone know the price premium a py10 commanded over the px?
    It all depends...

    ...on the year and the condition and the originality of the paint & decals, and the components. I saw an early 1960s PX-10 sell on eBay for over $7,000 a few years ago... another for $3,500 just recently... and then again, quite a few later-60s to mid-70s PX10s on eBay will often sell for only a couple hundred bucks. A top condition 77-78 PY-10 (the silver ones, with the ugly decals but cool cantilever style braze-on posts for mounting Mafac center-pulls) might run a couple thousand, but many other late-70s to early-80s models are usually very inexpensive bargain buys.

    There were so many different models produced for so many years that you'd really need to judge every single bike on its own merit. It's kind of like trying to generalize values of a vintage Porsche 911 ... which could cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $250,000.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglight View Post
    It all depends...

    ...on the year and the condition and the originality of the paint & decals, and the components. I saw an early 1960s PX-10 sell on eBay for over $7,000 a few years ago... another for $3,500 just recently... and then again, quite a few later-60s to mid-70s PX10s on eBay will often sell for only a couple hundred bucks. A top condition 77-78 PY-10 (the silver ones, with the ugly decals but cool cantilever style braze-on posts for mounting Mafac center-pulls) might run a couple thousand, but many other late-70s to early-80s models are usually very inexpensive bargain buys.

    There were so many different models produced for so many years that you'd really need to judge every single bike on its own merit. It's kind of like trying to generalize values of a vintage Porsche 911 ... which could cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $250,000.
    I believe the OP was asking what the original retail price difference was between the two models, not what the bikes have fetched on eBay.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
    I believe the OP was asking what the original retail price difference was between the two models, not what the bikes have fetched on eBay.
    Perhaps he was but I learned much more from Stronglight's knowledgable response. I am always eager to learn as much as possible about vintage bicycles and the more learned members of this forum are a valuable resource.

  8. #8
    Old Skeptic stronglight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    My Bikes
    19 road bikes & 1 Track bike
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
    I believe the OP was asking what the original retail price difference was between the two models, not what the bikes have fetched on eBay.
    I believe you're right [DOH!] ... and now you've got me very curious as well.

  9. #9
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    12,100
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As long as were still on this...in 1977 for example, PY10 were available in red, white, blue, black, silver and bronze. To expand on what stronglight said, who wants a bronze Peugeot? Like anything else fans what their heros ride, drive or wear.

    Ferrari fans want a red Ferrari not blue
    Jordan fans want Red Black and White Air's
    Peugeot fans from the late 70's want silver Peugeots...
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •