Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    cleaning/restore campy record strada cranks

    i have a crankset i want to bring back to "new"...or at least, all pretty and shiny.

    it appears there is some coating, which, with all the nicks and stuff is worn off in places. at first i thought i could polish out these blemishes, but now it looks as if the polishing makes it worse. it looks as if the subdued/flat greyish finish is the coating.

    what is the preferred method of restoring campy strada cranks? i know this may be lacking info, i'd be happy to supply more, if i knew what that should be.

    i've used a polishing wheel with an air compressor, as well as mothers mag&aluminum polish, and mothers power something squeezy aluminum polish. the polish didn't turn black on the cranks, but did on the cloth.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)





  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well smell me, old fat guy...that link just earned a place in fav bookmarks.

    many thanks, and cheers, good sir

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, i grew up in mi and am always back home for the holidays. spent a good many years in phx as well, lived off FLW just north of shea, and me grandma lives in 'tukee

  6. #6
    Senior Member ricohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    2,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did this Campy seat post which wasn't in very good shape.
    I used an eraser as a block. I used 600, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper.
    Then I used Mothers aluminum polish.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpy schwartz View Post
    btw, i grew up in mi and am always back home for the holidays. spent a good many years in phx as well, lived off FLW just north of shea, and me grandma lives in 'tukee
    Grew up on the mean streets of the East Side, Alter & Mack (cut you and gut you before you hit the ground, even in my senior years...), now my time in MI is in A2. In PHX I'm around Cactus and Tatum.

    FLW & Shea is too rich for me. I can only afford Italian bikes, not Italian cars

  8. #8
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a Nuovo Record crankset. Strada just means road.

    I polish my parts pretty much the same way Ray Dobbins does except that the really beat up parts get sanded before buffing. I use a quarter sheet Porter Cable sander and then I hand sand up to 400 grit and then I use super fine steel wool. My buffing wheel is mounted on a 16" drill press.

    This crank was in really bad shape when I started:



    Don't leave the oven cleaner on too long when you remove the anodizing or it will begin to eat the aluminum. you may have to treat the part more than once to get all of the anodizing off. You'll know all of the anodizing is gone when the part turns uniformly black.
    Last edited by Grand Bois; 12-08-07 at 07:05 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh, i had an apt, not a house. i know cactus and tatum, lived in PV before the move over to scottsdale. was right by the mall. divided my drinkin dollar between the dubliner and the paradise lounge. i was in those crappy apts off N PVillage Pkwy...had my truck stolen on a friggin sunday afternoon, right from my parking spot. are you in those nice adobe condos?

    i'm now in mid tennessee. back home is SW mi, my dad and i are founding members of the Whiners bicycle club...old school ragbrai vets.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks DD. the cranks were donated to my project by my pops over thanksgiving.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpy schwartz View Post
    heh, i had an apt, not a house. i know cactus and tatum, lived in PV before the move over to scottsdale. was right by the mall. divided my drinkin dollar between the dubliner and the paradise lounge. i was in those crappy apts off N PVillage Pkwy...had my truck stolen on a friggin sunday afternoon, right from my parking spot. are you in those nice adobe condos?

    i'm now in mid tennessee. back home is SW mi, my dad and i are founding members of the Whiners bicycle club...old school ragbrai vets.
    Nope, not in those condos. but just down the block from the Dubliner!

    Must have been those apts by Sweetwater Park , just down from REI, where the guy got capped in the parking lot. Tweakers.

  12. #12
    "Purgatory Central" Wino Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    beautiful "Cypress Gardens" florida
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
    I just did this Campy seat post which wasn't in very good shape.
    I used an eraser as a block. I used 600, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper.
    Then I used Mothers aluminum polish.


    You must've busted your tail getting it to look that good. It looks great!!
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

    ~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

  13. #13
    Disraeli Gears Charles Wahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Riding: 1960s Falcon commuter; Queued: 1977 Bob Jackson, 1983 Serotta Club Special, 1984 Motobécane Team Champion, 1983 Guerciotti SLX, 1974 Harding (like Holdsworth Pro), 1974 Peugeot PX10LE, 1970s Jeunet Franche-Comté, 1974 Raleigh International
    Posts
    3,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpy schwartz View Post
    it appears there is some coating, which, with all the nicks and stuff is worn off in places. at first i thought i could polish out these blemishes, but now it looks as if the polishing makes it worse.
    As Ray Dobbins' article will tell you, if you haven't read it already: the crank/spider is clear anodized; where it's been worn off, you can use metal polish to shine the aluminum up, but polish will do very little to the anodized area. Campy's special formula for polishing + anodizing can't be "matched" by cleaning with metal polish. If you want an even finish, you have to remove the anodizing. Then you can shine it up, but it won't ever look like it did in the bike shop/factory; and it will be more susceptible to corrosion. That's not a problem if you take care of your gear and keep it waxed/oiled/clean. Aluminum oxide looks whitish, and that's what you want to keep from forming on your parts.

    As Ray Dobbins also tells you, there are a lot of Campy Record components (hubs, for instance) that are not anodized; they're easier to clean up with just polish.

    If you're a fetishist and can't leave well enough alone, then you could strip the anodizing, polish (but do not wax) and have the part re-anodized at a finishing shop. It probably will never look like it did originally, though; there's just something about that Campy process that's unique (at least to my eye).

  14. #14
    "Purgatory Central" Wino Ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    beautiful "Cypress Gardens" florida
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop;

    This crank was in really bad shape when I started:

    [URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2736003250068014369MsDalJ
    [/URL]

    Don't leave the oven cleaner on too long when you remove the anodizing or it will begin to eat the aluminum. you may have to treat the part more than once to get all of the anodizing off. You'll know all of the anodizing is gone when the part turns uniformly black.


    Yeah I did pretty much the same thing with these campy 'Athena' aero brakes.

    The first pic is how they looked when I got them. NOS straight out of the box.







    ~ btw - you done a good job on that crank.
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

    ~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

  15. #15
    # BF-STL-00020 marengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Cinelli, Pinarello, Rossin, Gitane, Trek
    Posts
    323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    That's a Nuovo Record crankset. Strada just means road.
    If you really insist on getting all weenie technical about it, they're Record strada cranks with Nuovo Record chainrings.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wino Ryder View Post
    Yeah I did pretty much the same thing with these campy 'Athena' aero brakes.

    ~ btw - you done a good job on that crank.
    Thanks. The brakes look great! I'm just finishing up a set of Super Record calipers. I bought a NR triple from Hilary Stone that he said was polished, but it appears that it was polished and then chrome plated!
    Now I have to get the brakes and other parts polished really bright to match it.

  17. #17
    Chrome Freak Rabid Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional
    Posts
    3,194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to check that Campy crank for cracks in the usual places. That set looks like it has seen a few miles!

    1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
    1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
    1973 Gitane Tour De France
    1974 Raleigh Professional
    1991 Waterford Paramount
    Litespeed Tuscany
    Holland Titanium

  18. #18
    If I own it, I ride it CV-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cardinal Country
    My Bikes
    Not enough space for all of them
    Posts
    3,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Koala View Post
    Be sure to check that Campy crank for cracks in the usual places. That set looks like it has seen a few miles!
    Since the cracking issue was brought up, and not trying to hijack the thread...would anyone have a picture of a crank that has been "stress relieved"? I have an idea on what they should look like. I just want to see what others have done.
    Lynn Travers

    Photos

    ISO: Lejeune Champion du Monde Ultra Leger Reynolds 753, 53-55cm

  19. #19
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
    Since the cracking issue was brought up, and not trying to hijack the thread...would anyone have a picture of a crank that has been "stress relieved"? I have an idea on what they should look like. I just want to see what others have done.
    Anybody?

    I'm interested myself now that I've got two of them. One is from 1975 and has been chromed, and I'm sure that doesn't help the situation.

  20. #20
    hunter, gatherer coelcanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres a couple threads about this..
    here's a (bad) pic of a quick job i did with a rattail file:



    the cranks were cracked as in the previous photo..
    about 3000+ miles so far with no problems

  21. #21
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,596
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's a photo of one of my sets.. still waiting to be stripped and polished.

    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  22. #22
    Senior Member Pogliaghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Great American Southwest
    My Bikes
    77 Cinelli SC, 60s Cinelli SC, 1960 Bianchi Specialissima, Mid 60s Pogliaghi Pista, 73 Masi GC, Early 80s Freschi Supreme, 37 Baines "Flying Gate", 49 Gloria, 39 Torpado, 72 Grandis "Super Leggera", 72 Carlton, 80's De Rosa, 80's Gangl. '85 Zullo.
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    That's a Nuovo Record crankset. Strada just means road.

    I polish my parts pretty much the same way Ray Dobbins does except that the really beat up parts get sanded before buffing. I use a quarter sheet Porter Cable sander and then I hand sand up to 400 grit and then I use super fine steel wool. My buffing wheel is mounted on a 16" drill press.

    This crank was in really bad shape when I started:



    Don't leave the oven cleaner on too long when you remove the anodizing or it will begin to eat the aluminum. you may have to treat the part more than once to get all of the anodizing off. You'll know all of the anodizing is gone when the part turns uniformly black.
    Hi Dirtdrop,

    Nice job - just be careful with the steel wool. One should not use steel wool on aluminum/alloys as microscopic particles of the steel will embed allowing for disimilar metals corrosion to begin. Learned all this from my days as an aviation mechanic. Will try to post a pic of my Campy crank later.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogliaghi View Post
    Hi Dirtdrop,

    Nice job - just be careful with the steel wool. One should not use steel wool on aluminum/alloys as microscopic particles of the steel will embed allowing for disimilar metals corrosion to begin. Learned all this from my days as an aviation mechanic. Will try to post a pic of my Campy crank later.
    That hasn't been a problem, but they get a lot of time on the buffing wheel after the steel wool. Maybe that removes those microscopic particles.

    I was about to post a picture of my new triple, but it will have to wait until the camera batteries charge.

  24. #24
    Disraeli Gears Charles Wahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Riding: 1960s Falcon commuter; Queued: 1977 Bob Jackson, 1983 Serotta Club Special, 1984 Motobécane Team Champion, 1983 Guerciotti SLX, 1974 Harding (like Holdsworth Pro), 1974 Peugeot PX10LE, 1970s Jeunet Franche-Comté, 1974 Raleigh International
    Posts
    3,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who designs a lot of dissimilar metals into buildings, I have to say that I think the whole galvanic corrosion thing is overdone where you're talking about things other than ships. Most of the studies and quantification are done for dissimilar metals in a good electrolyte (seawater).

    Steel wool particles will rust however -- nothing to do with their being embedded in aluminum -- and that's unsightly. In building construction projects, it's sometimes a problem that an ornamental metals fabricator who's clueless will finish stainless steel using the same tools used for carbon steel. Then the "stainless" will rust just like carbon steel; it's not a pretty sight! Again, this has nothing to do with the dissimilarity of the metals, just that the (very thin but effective) chromium oxide layer that protects stainless steel is prevented from forming continuously over the surface, by the presence of particles that are carbon steel, without the chromium content that enables the oxide to form.

  25. #25
    crotchety young dude el twe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SF, CA
    My Bikes
    IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount
    Posts
    4,818
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off-topic, but how well does Simichrome metal polish work on components (such as cranks) without stripping the clear coat off? I'm not looking for a mirror finish, just a little bit of shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
    IRO Angus Casati Gold Line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •