Shoulderless fixed cup on 26 TPI Raleigh BB
I have a Canada-built 70s Raleigh Grand Prix frame that I'm trying to build up as a 3-speed all-weather commuter. This frame has the dreaded 26 TPI threading, and a BB width of 71 mm. Unfortunately, I think that the BB cups are too rough. The fixed cup doesn't have a shoulder, it's sort of flush with the end of the BB housing (and was installed before the factory painted the frame, because it's the same blue). So how are these "fixed" in place? with adhesive? And what's a reliable way to remove one without messing something up?
Just in case anyone is tempted to suggest it: I only spent $40 on the frame with brakes and cranks, so I don't really want to spend $120 for a Phil Wood BB.
Those drive-side cups just thread in as far as they will go, which will leave them flush with the edge of the bottom bracket shell. As long as the shell threads are okay, it should be fine.
Today I made a tool just for this out of a 5/8" bolt, big thick washer, and nut of like size. Insert the bolt from the inside of the BB shell and put the washer and nut on the outside. Tighten it down and as you tighten...(these 26tpi BB fixed cups are left hand threaded.) it 'should' come out... With that said, the one I'm working on now is so friggen rusty, it is a bear to get out...I got the adjustable side out this evening but so far have not got the fixed cup out. The tool seems to work fine but the cup is just rusted fast. Wish me luck.