Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    ILOVEOLDBIKES gwhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    1986 Schwinn Paramount, 1995 Schwinn Homegrown Pro, 1973 Lawwill Pro Cruiser, 2000 Cannondale r 600, 1987 Nishiki Medalist, 1964 Schwinn American, 1986 Alan
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Austro Daimler Frame

    Today I bought this cool AD frame with Campagnolo drops, my size, and a good price.. What do you guys think of these frames ?








    Because We Can Cycling Club
    Cyclist with MS
    http://www.becausewecanms.org/

  2. #2
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,185
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am strongly biased in favor of high-end Austrian frames, particularly if painted red.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  3. #3
    Senior Member tradtimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Monterey, California
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Team, 1979 Raleigh Team Record, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, Japanese Raleigh Super Course, 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires, 90's Schwinn High Plains, 1978? Austro Daimler Inter 10
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That looks very nice! I hope you post some more pics after you got it built up!!!
    Can anyone give me a ride from Monterey to Big Bear on Wednesday or Thursday?

    The Sustainable Cyclist

  4. #4
    and riding...just riding
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belleville, Illinois
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a similar frame on Ebay several years ago and built it up with old ultegra, mafac centerpulls and 700 wheels I had laying around. It's an awesome bike for sport touring, club rides, you name it. Now I have another one set up as a single speed and recently picked up one for my girlfriend. You did good.

  5. #5
    K2ProFlex baby! ilikebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
    My Bikes
    to many to list
    Posts
    6,093
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really great bikes, clean it up a bit and give her the parts she deserves I had one that was way to tall for me but I rode it for years anyways, wish I could find an AD frame that was my size
    You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

  6. #6
    Prodigal road guy MajorA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eugene. Oregon
    My Bikes
    '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell which of the A-D frames you've got because of the respray, but the Campy drops suggest the top of the line. I've got a 1982 Starleicht (second from the top), it's my favorite ride hands down, and I've got a Peugeot PKN, a Bob Jackson, a Raleigh Competition GS, and a Scapin to compare it to. The Starleicht in that year came with Gipiemme drops, and only the Ultima - top of the line - came with Campy drops. The only differences between the Starleicht and the Ultima were the drops; the fact that the Ultima was 531 SL as opposed to 531; and the Ultima came with all Campy Super Record, while the Starleicht came with all Dura Ace. The end result was a spec weight for the Starleicht of 21.0 lbs, and for the Ultima of 19.5 lbs.

    I know this may be heresy, but if you build this one up with the parts it deserves, those Paramounts of yours may have to fight for road time from now on.

  7. #7
    ILOVEOLDBIKES gwhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    1986 Schwinn Paramount, 1995 Schwinn Homegrown Pro, 1973 Lawwill Pro Cruiser, 2000 Cannondale r 600, 1987 Nishiki Medalist, 1964 Schwinn American, 1986 Alan
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorA View Post
    Hard to tell which of the A-D frames you've got because of the respray, but the Campy drops suggest the top of the line. I've got a 1982 Starleicht (second from the top), it's my favorite ride hands down, and I've got a Peugeot PKN, a Bob Jackson, a Raleigh Competition GS, and a Scapin to compare it to. The Starleicht in that year came with Gipiemme drops, and only the Ultima - top of the line - came with Campy drops. The only differences between the Starleicht and the Ultima were the drops; the fact that the Ultima was 531 SL as opposed to 531; and the Ultima came with all Campy Super Record, while the Starleicht came with all Dura Ace. The end result was a spec weight for the Starleicht of 21.0 lbs, and for the Ultima of 19.5 lbs.

    I know this may be heresy, but if you build this one up with the parts it deserves, those Paramounts of yours may have to fight for road time from now on.
    I was thinking the same thing, (about the Paramounts) This has got to be one of the nicest looking frame that I've found in a long time.. The pictures I took don't really do it justice.. By the way I got it off CL for 60.00, I think I got a hell of a deal ! don't know what these go for or really care as I won't sell it, like my other bikes I have sold.. She's a Keeper !
    Because We Can Cycling Club
    Cyclist with MS
    http://www.becausewecanms.org/

  8. #8
    Avenir Equipped BlankCrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    My Bikes
    Chesini X-Uno, etc.....
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a nice AD frame.

    Mods, can you fix the spelling in the thread title to Daimler so it will show up in searches?

  9. #9
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,643
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    done
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  10. #10
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the cable guide on the BB shell.

  11. #11
    Prodigal road guy MajorA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eugene. Oregon
    My Bikes
    '72 Bob Jackson; '82 Austro-Daimler Starleicht; '85 Scapin; '80 Peugeot PKN-10; '81 Trek 610; '87 Hunter Corsa; '72 Italvega and '75 Motobecane Grand Jubillee frames built into freewheel singlespeeds.
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhunter View Post
    By the way I got it off CL for 60.00, I think I got a hell of a deal ! don't know what these go for or really care as I won't sell it, like my other bikes I have sold.. She's a Keeper !
    I'd be jealous if I hadn't snagged my A-D for $107 on eBay, minus the crankset and with hubs only instead of full wheels, but with a pristine Brooks Pro. These bikes are one of the great underappreciated values in vintage lugged steel right now, and you and I can be glad that we got in on the ground floor before the secret's out ...

  12. #12
    Senior Member nick burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Absecon, NJ
    My Bikes
    Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
    Posts
    2,943
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhunter View Post
    don't know what these go for
    Much more than you paid for yours. You got a great deal, that's gonna be sweet when you get it built up. Post pics when you're done!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a set of Austro Daimler decals on ebay right now. Thought you'd be interested. I'm also looking for an A-D bike for my brother, same size as yours. Nice find!

  14. #14
    Go Team BH! teambhultima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    just outside B-ham, AL
    My Bikes
    Austro Daimler Ultima
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find, gwhunter!

    By the looks of the frame's braze-ons, this is newer than my '76 Ultima, which uses top-tube brake cable clamps and a clamp-on FD. You will really enjoy the bike - they are a very responsive ride. Have fun bulding it and then riding it. I've attached photos of mine, same ones as before (sorry to the long-time C&Vers). I built it many, many years ago.

    Best Wishes,
    Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    nowheels
    Guest
    Looks like a real keeper

  16. #16
    Staunch 2A advocate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RADAC 3100, Cannondale hardtail mountain bike
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the early 80's I rode an Austro-Daimler Inter 10. It came spec'd with a mish-mash of components, including a titanium-framed Huret rear derailleur. I've still got that frame up in the attic. It's long since been repainted and cobbled on. Originally, it had clamp-on everything - including cable guides. I had several fittings brazed during a rebuild and it got a TERRIBLE repaint. I believe it's a 59 or 60cm. I know the main tubes were Reynolds 531. Not sure about the stays.

    Frankly, I had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.

    As I recall, there was another model called a "Ventnour", or something like that. It was a few hundred more than I could afford. I recall it had splashes of Campy components here and there and it did have Campy dropouts. It also had a super-cool smoked-chrome finish. Man, that was one beautiful bike.

    stellarpod

  17. #17
    Senior Member tradtimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Monterey, California
    My Bikes
    1982 Fuji Team, 1979 Raleigh Team Record, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, Japanese Raleigh Super Course, 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires, 90's Schwinn High Plains, 1978? Austro Daimler Inter 10
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stellarpod View Post
    Back in the early 80's I rode an Austro-Daimler Inter 10. It came spec'd with a mish-mash of components, including a titanium-framed Huret rear derailleur. I've still got that frame up in the attic. It's long since been repainted and cobbled on. Originally, it had clamp-on everything - including cable guides. I had several fittings brazed during a rebuild and it got a TERRIBLE repaint. I believe it's a 59 or 60cm. I know the main tubes were Reynolds 531. Not sure about the stays.

    Frankly, I had forgotten all about it until I saw this thread.

    As I recall, there was another model called a "Ventnour", or something like that. It was a few hundred more than I could afford. I recall it had splashes of Campy components here and there and it did have Campy dropouts. It also had a super-cool smoked-chrome finish. Man, that was one beautiful bike.

    stellarpod
    I just picked up an Inter10 the other day off of CL. Shimano 600, including Shimano drops. R531 tubes, stays, and fork, no braze ons, with Dura-Ace cable clamps. She is a mess right now, but I'll be cleaning her up. I'll show her off when I'm done. From the info I could find, It looks like a '78. From the looks of that Ultima, I'm gonna keep my eyes out!
    Can anyone give me a ride from Monterey to Big Bear on Wednesday or Thursday?

    The Sustainable Cyclist

  18. #18
    ILOVEOLDBIKES gwhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    1986 Schwinn Paramount, 1995 Schwinn Homegrown Pro, 1973 Lawwill Pro Cruiser, 2000 Cannondale r 600, 1987 Nishiki Medalist, 1964 Schwinn American, 1986 Alan
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Update, She's Almost Finished

    Almost Finished






    Last edited by gwhunter; 02-08-08 at 07:47 PM.
    Because We Can Cycling Club
    Cyclist with MS
    http://www.becausewecanms.org/

  19. #19
    Go Team BH! teambhultima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    just outside B-ham, AL
    My Bikes
    Austro Daimler Ultima
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet... very sweet!

  20. #20
    Staunch 2A advocate
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    OKC, OK
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RADAC 3100, Cannondale hardtail mountain bike
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is REALLY nice! Good job. I'm anxiously awaiting the final pictures.

    stellarpod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •