Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-08, 09:43 AM   #1
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Waterford Restoration of Paramount

Hey all.

I'm looking at an older paramount on fleabay, and it seems like it needs decals and a repaint... how much would that potentially knock off of a reasonable bid (it's just frame, no add'tl parts), and how hard would it be to make that frame work with modern components?

Finally, in the event of needing a repaint and new decals, how much is that likely to run if I send it in to Waterford to do the strip and refinish?

Would they also be able to cold set the chainstays to run a 130mm hub? Just open questions at the moment. Any feedback is much appreciated. It's a cool frame, and the old style frames have a much better fit for what I happen to like in terms of sizing...
superslomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 09:59 AM   #2
dbakl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Waterford is one choice, just about any established painter can get the decals. Brian Baylis did mine some years ago, I think it was $650. which included new chrome on the rear forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pctrack.jpg (37.2 KB, 78 views)
dbakl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 12:58 PM   #3
greenlakesgary
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just received my 64 Paramount back from Waterford. The painting [ I have chrome head lug ] and some minor repair to remove an added braze on came to about $800.00 . The paint and transfers are perfect. They had the bike for 6 1/2 weeks. I don't see any problem with them spreading the frame out to 130mm and can't imagine that it would be very expensive.
greenlakesgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 01:16 PM   #4
Otis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlakesgary View Post
I just received my 64 Paramount back from Waterford. The painting [ I have chrome head lug ] and some minor repair to remove an added braze on came to about $800.00 . The paint and transfers are perfect. They had the bike for 6 1/2 weeks. I don't see any problem with them spreading the frame out to 130mm and can't imagine that it would be very expensive.
I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Waterford will not cold set rear triangle's? I most likely read that here so it's probably wrong. Anyway email Waterford for prices, etc. They do great work.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 01:29 PM   #5
lotek
Forum Admin
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
Posts: 17,710
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Otis,

from the Waterford web site ( www.waterfordbikes.com )

Your Schwinn Paramount Restoration Headquarters

No one offers a wider range of period decals and options. In many cases, for Paramounts after 1981, they're receiving a factory finish from the original factory! We also offer a variety period colors, including Schwinn's 1970's Coppertone. Services include:

* Spreading rear dropouts: This includes replacing the brake bridge.

I too thought they wouldn't spread dropouts but ya learn something new every day.

Marty
__________________
Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 02:09 PM   #6
Otis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotek View Post
Otis,

from the Waterford web site ( www.waterfordbikes.com )

Your Schwinn Paramount Restoration Headquarters

No one offers a wider range of period decals and options. In many cases, for Paramounts after 1981, they're receiving a factory finish from the original factory! We also offer a variety period colors, including Schwinn's 1970's Coppertone. Services include:

* Spreading rear dropouts: This includes replacing the brake bridge.

I too thought they wouldn't spread dropouts but ya learn something new every day.

Marty
Ok, that was it. They won't just spread 'em, you have to pony up for a new bridge. The right way I guess but not cheap.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 02:22 PM   #7
jebensch 
Senior Member
 
jebensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Medford, MA
Bikes: Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10, Koga-Miyata SS
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbakl View Post
Waterford is one choice, just about any established painter can get the decals. Brian Baylis did mine some years ago, I think it was $650. which included new chrome on the rear forks.
Are those wooden rims?

Can you tell me what them grips are? I'm looking for the same color.
__________________
Steel-loving cheapskate

www.jessebenjamin.blogspot.com
jebensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 02:36 PM   #8
dbakl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebensch View Post
Are those wooden rims?

Can you tell me what them grips are? I'm looking for the same color.
Those are wooden rims; probably not period correct for the bike but something I wanted at the time. The "grips" are just red cloth handlebar tape, same as on the top tube.
dbakl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.