Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Thumpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Sunny South
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dent(s) in chrome fender(s)...Schwinn Varsity...

    I just bought a Schwinn Varsity from the thrift store for $15; I figured I couldn't go too wrong.
    Anyway, it's got 3 significant dents in the fenders. Other than some judicious tapping with a hammer and dollie, are there any secrets before I start to pound away?







    Also before I bought it I looked closely and did not find any "Schwinn Approved" tags on the frame. So I thought "Ah; a USA frame"; I get it home and the COMPONENTS are stamped
    "Schwinn approved" Imported components on a USA frame? Also 2 sets of serial #s on the steerer tube....2746 on the badge; HM517939 stamped on the tube itself. I can probably research those numbers out........

    Any help on the dents is appreciated..........
    Thumpic....

    Green is the new "CHEAP"

  2. #2
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpic View Post
    I get it home and the COMPONENTS are stamped
    "Schwinn approved" Imported components on a USA frame?
    Now class, please name all U.S. manufacturers of drivetrain and brake components made in the U.S. during the mid-'70s.



    -Kurt

  3. #3
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,233
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a shot bag and hammer rather than the hammer and dolly. Go gentle on it, the metal has stretched. Other possibility is to just polish them up and ride it as is.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Varsity. Just ride it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member kpug505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Puyallup Washington
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To bad my LBS is closing in 2 weeks and is no longer taking repairs. He has a fender roller that would clean those up in second. You can get new fenders for really cheap. Wald is one source I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Worksman too.

    Kelly D
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    We don't cotton to people who cut things off their bikes in these here parts.

    Check out my bike blog!

  6. #6
    26 tpi nut. sailorbenjamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    5,493
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Funny you should ask

    I was just thinking of writing up a little thingy o fender dents. I had an idea a couple of weeks ago.
    I bought a pair of wide mouthed Vise Grips like this at the local hardware store.
    I cut out a piece of wood like this with my shipwrights compase plane like this (not available at the local hardware store)(a saw works just as good but I don't get to show that one off very often)
    Then I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the fender like this to hollow the block to fit the fender.
    Then I squashed the fender back into place like this.
    The vise grips are very controlable and slow compared to a hammer. they are liable to leave tiny dimples because the jaws are kind of squarish. I might file them round or I might wrap them in lead or attach a wooden block.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have spoken.

  7. #7
    26 tpi nut. sailorbenjamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    5,493
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpug505 View Post
    To bad my LBS is closing in 2 weeks and is no longer taking repairs. He has a fender roller that would clean those up in second. You can get new fenders for really cheap. Wald is one source I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Worksman too.

    Kelly D
    Buy that fender roller!
    I have spoken.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Thumpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Sunny South
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm having trouble with the serial #s....the colors and decals don't work for a 76 or 86....is this a 66?? I can't find poop on the "HM" number.........
    Thumpic....

    Green is the new "CHEAP"

  9. #9
    Senior Member kpug505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Puyallup Washington
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
    Buy that fender roller!
    I wish.....He knows it's a jewel and won't let it go. I've got 2 weeks so I'll keep trying though!
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    We don't cotton to people who cut things off their bikes in these here parts.

    Check out my bike blog!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,742
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
    I was just thinking of writing up a little thingy o fender dents. I had an idea a couple of weeks ago.
    I bought a pair of wide mouthed Vise Grips like this at the local hardware store.
    I cut out a piece of wood like this with my shipwrights compase plane like this (not available at the local hardware store)(a saw works just as good but I don't get to show that one off very often)
    Then I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the fender like this to hollow the block to fit the fender.
    Then I squashed the fender back into place like this.
    The vise grips are very controlable and slow compared to a hammer. they are liable to leave tiny dimples because the jaws are kind of squarish. I might file them round or I might wrap them in lead or attach a wooden block.
    Nice technique, and how about another hardwood block on the underside of the fender to roll out those dents?

    Neal

  11. #11
    Senior Member kpug505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Puyallup Washington
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
    I was just thinking of writing up a little thingy o fender dents.
    Great tutorial! That's the kind of stuff we need around here. Kind of like a C&V DIY Intructables thread! Sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    We don't cotton to people who cut things off their bikes in these here parts.

    Check out my bike blog!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Thumpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Sunny South
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
    I was just thinking of writing up a little thingy o fender dents.........
    I was considering something similar with a 2 section "bondo" mold made up around a good section of fender and then just using a monster C clamp to press the dent out..............
    Thumpic....

    Green is the new "CHEAP"

  13. #13
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelly: Can you get a picture of the fender roller? I saw in the Grizzy catalog and also in the harbor freight where you can get an English wheel which I would bet is close enough to the fender roller to work if a guy wanted to go to all the trouble. I like the wood dolly and hammer. I would almost bet if you left the fender in the sun and got it warm it would come out a lot easier, or not
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  14. #14
    Senior Member kpug505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Puyallup Washington
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more
    Posts
    1,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    Kelly: Can you get a picture of the fender roller? I saw in the Grizzy catalog and also in the harbor freight where you can get an English wheel which I would bet is close enough to the fender roller to work if a guy wanted to go to all the trouble. I like the wood dolly and hammer. I would almost bet if you left the fender in the sun and got it warm it would come out a lot easier, or not
    I'll try to get a pic. You are correct in assuming that it is essentially an English wheel but I believe IIRC one of the "wheels" has a crank arm attached to it. What it does? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    We don't cotton to people who cut things off their bikes in these here parts.

    Check out my bike blog!

  15. #15
    stringbreaker stringbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wa. State
    My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Posts
    4,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crank probably is to apply more pressure to the metal I think. Not too sure just guessing
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dent repair using heat *** and keyboard cleaner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwBL...eature=related

  17. #17
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,788
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    Now class, please name all U.S. manufacturers of drivetrain and brake components made in the U.S. during the mid-'70s.



    -Kurt
    You mean France, Germany, Switzerland, and Japan aren't part of the US?

  18. #18
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    You mean France, Germany, Switzerland, and Japan aren't part of the US?
    No. They are our allies, such as our current ally, France, and our "traditional" allies such as Germany and Japan

    Just a bit of the old Tom Lehrer kicking in...

    -Kurt

  19. #19
    soonerbills soonerbills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Okieland
    My Bikes
    25 at last count. One day I'll make a list
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck using a Golf ball and supporting the fender in the palm of my hand, rolling the ball back and forth over the dents. It takes some time and effort but it will cleanly roll the dent out. Remember that the dent has stretched the metal so it will need to be heated and cooled so that it can shrink. Do this several times between the rolling. I have done many Japanese motorcycle fenders this way and have been very successful!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Fibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    My Bikes
    Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff! I picked up from the town dump a otherwise perfect Raleigh with a mangled fender. I've got nothing to loose by trying some of these techniques.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cedarburg, WI
    My Bikes
    75 Varsity, 78 Travler III, 78 Travler III-Womens,& 80 Voyager in Chrome
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpic View Post
    Now I'm having trouble with the serial #s....the colors and decals don't work for a 76 or 86....is this a 66?? I can't find poop on the "HM" number.........
    The "H" is August & the "M" is 1976, The color is Chestnut.
    If you look in the 1976 Catalog the varsity is shown in the Bi-Centenual theme, but if you look at the colors available, Chestnut is listed.
    The four digit number on the head badge, 2746 is the 274th day of the year of 1976, I belive 1976 was the first year of the four digit head badge numbers.
    Hope this helps.

    Paul
    It's not the destination, It's about the RIDE!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •