Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Peugeot fights back (pics)

    against owner, rather than remain in fixed gear status:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalate...n/photostream/

  2. #2
    Senior Member Torchy McFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    NOYB
    Posts
    1,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to a couple of bike shop owners a couple of weeks ago, and we all quietly agreed that this fixie trend is really stupid and that there are going to be a ton of cheap used track bikes and components becoming available over the next 5 years. A lot of nice old bikes are going to be sacrificed in the meantime. This one chose an honorable death over further embarrassment.
    Adieu, braves soldat.

  3. #3
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux View Post
    I was talking to a couple of bike shop owners a couple of weeks ago, and we all quietly agreed that this fixie trend is really stupid and that there are going to be a ton of cheap used track bikes and components becoming available over the next 5 years. A lot of nice old bikes are going to be sacrificed in the meantime. This one chose an honorable death over further embarrassment.
    Adieu, braves soldat.
    Meh. If it gets people riding, I am all for fixed gears. I think your shop owners are being dense. Anything that grows their customer base should not be regarded as stupid. As long as people don't chop the frames, I don't care all that much.

  4. #4
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the Peugeot. That bike looks pretty clean to have that kind of failure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    Sorry about the Peugeot. That bike looks pretty clean to have that kind of failure.
    Yeah, I wonder what that guy put that bike through? Perhaps the inside of the downtube was really compromised with rust b4 this accident took place? Also, surprising is that it appears to be a 501 tube---I thought they were sturdy? This photo has me thinking twice about the strength of my pug---of roughly the same age, with its super vitus tubes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bigwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
    Posts
    1,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! How the heck did that happen?

    Re: the anti-fixed comments; Bicycles are meant to be ridden. It would be a pretty boring world if we all rode the same kind of bicycles and besides, 1 less car/1 less ton of emissions and 1 more bike is always a good thing. Be happy, thankful, and greatful that young people have a renewed interest in bicycles and let's not us old farts start acting like dictators ok?....
    Good enough for Sheldon Brown, good enough for me......And I'm willing to embrace anybody who wants to talk about vintage steel. Some of the younger less experienced riders will figure out what works for them just fine without our influence.
    Last edited by bigwoo; 04-22-08 at 08:02 AM.
    "Mommy's all right, Daddy's all right, They just seem a little weird"

    BICYCLE- The simplest and noblest machine:And they're all fun to ride, really

  7. #7
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any rust inside the tube?

  8. #8
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    Any rust inside the tube?
    I wish I knew---I just ran across this photo by chance...

  9. #9
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    Any rust inside the tube?
    Oh, regarding my super vitus, yes, I think there is a little, here and there...

  10. #10
    Vello Kombi, baby Poguemahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Je suis ici
    Posts
    5,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RK1963 View Post
    Yeah, I wonder what that guy put that bike through? Perhaps the inside of the downtube was really compromised with rust b4 this accident took place? Also, surprising is that it appears to be a 501 tube---I thought they were sturdy? This photo has me thinking twice about the strength of my pug---of roughly the same age, with its super vitus tubes.
    I wouldn't worry. I have a 79 PFN10E with Vitus 181 tubing, and that bike has been thru hell and is no worse for the wear.

    As I've said before, to an extent I'm fine with the fixie fashion, as it gets folks riding. But I've seen so many examples of fixie idiocy here in RVA I wonder. Riding with no hand brake while unable to skid stop or trackstand. Riding with no handbrake and loose chain tension (seen two riders desperately trying to stop after throwing a chain). My favorite, the kids on a freewheel single speed with no brakes. The strangest recent trend, no front brake but a back one and a freewheel.
    "It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

    Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Torchy McFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    NOYB
    Posts
    1,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    Meh. If it gets people riding, I am all for fixed gears. I think your shop owners are being dense. Anything that grows their customer base should not be regarded as stupid. As long as people don't chop the frames, I don't care all that much.
    I said "quietly".
    I'm all for getting people out riding. As long as they're not killing themselves or pissing off non-bikers.
    Still think fixies will go the way of elevated chainstays and neon lycra.

  12. #12
    Evil Genius oopfoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida USA
    My Bikes
    Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm...I was about to post a snarky comment for that photo when I noticed he hadn't converted this Peugeot to a fixie. Please note chainrings and obvious derailleur-guided chainline photo here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalate...n/photostream/
    -- Michael

  13. #13
    Senior Member Torchy McFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    NOYB
    Posts
    1,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. Nevermind.

  14. #14
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,005
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux View Post
    ... Still think fixies will go the way of elevated chainstays and neon lycra.
    Once some of these folks discover transportation cycling and want to cover longer distances efficiently, the single-speed and fixie fad will indeed fade. Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny, and just as the history of road cycling progressed from fixed gear to single speed freewheels to multi-speed drivelines, so will these individuals' preferences in equipment.

    As for the downtube rupture, the front of the downtube is a high-stress point at which frame failures are relatively common. (The bottom bracket and the drive side chainstay are other trouble spots.)
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  15. #15
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
    Ummm...I was about to post a snarky comment for that photo when I noticed he hadn't converted this Peugeot to a fixie. Please note chainrings and obvious derailleur-guided chainline photo here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalate...n/photostream/
    Bro, that's a different bike

  16. #16
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the tube was overheated during the addition of the braze-ons.

    P.S.: Am I in the wrong for having whacked off the DT braze-ons on a beat Benotto 1500 frame w/a cracked rear dropout? I fitted track drops to it

    -Kurt

  17. #17
    Bottecchia fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    1959 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (in progress...), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special (in progress...), 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8
    Posts
    3,419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was making a 40+ mph, 5 mile decent down Gold Camp road yesterday and wondering about just such a failure. You ever find yourself in that situation and wonder, "Hmmm, what if the guy that built my bike 40 years ago was having a bad day?"
    1959 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional, 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame),
    1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame),
    1974 Peugeot UO-8, 1988 Panasonic PT-3500, 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 2004 Bianchi Pista

  18. #18
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,317
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    Looks like the tube was overheated during the addition of the braze-ons.

    P.S.: Am I in the wrong for having whacked off the DT braze-ons on a beat Benotto 1500 frame w/a cracked rear dropout? I fitted track drops to it

    -Kurt
    I remember that project. Did you ever post pictures of the finished frame?

  19. #19
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that second photo is definitely a different bike.

    I don't see anything wrong with this guy's conversion that merits derision, other than some questionable fashion choices. There was nothing done that couldn't be undone, and the break was obviously going to happen whether it was fixed gear or not.

    You know, converting old road bikes to fixed gear or single speeds has a long history in cycling.
    Last edited by bonechilling; 04-22-08 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
    Ummm...I was about to post a snarky comment for that photo when I noticed he hadn't converted this Peugeot to a fixie. Please note chainrings and obvious derailleur-guided chainline photo here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalate...n/photostream/
    Actually that is just the first step in a good conversion, removing the shifter braze-on's. In this case they may have gone a bit too far.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Flying Merkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Costa Mesa CA
    Posts
    2,539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm haunting swap meets & garage sales for a decent bike to turn into a single speed. No components will be trashed & nothing will get ground off the frame. Repainting is out of the question. An old Peugeot is on my list- I just like the name. I'm trying to keep the entire project under $100.00

    The fixie thing has me puzzled. I like coasting & stopping. Riding one in traffic or anywhere that a hill might appear sounds suicidal to poor naive me.

  22. #22
    Run What 'Ya Brung bonechilling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Actually that is just the first step in a good conversion, removing the shifter braze-on's. In this case they may have gone a bit too far.
    A) That's a different bike, as noted.
    B) The bike in question still has the shifter braze-ons.
    Quote Originally Posted by doofo View Post
    the main cause of fit problems is riding your bike

    you should have just stopped riding so you could focus on color coordination

  23. #23
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    I remember that project. Did you ever post pictures of the finished frame?
    Would you believe that it is still in the vice, bare steel dropouts still vice-grip'ed to the frame? Thing is full of oil back there to prevent it from rusting...

    -Kurt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •