Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Vintage clincher rims

    I was looking at a track wheelset someone locally is selling. The wheelset is unused but built up from deadstock vintage (1980s) hubs and Campy clincher rims. I was wondering about riding clincher rims this old, even deadstock ones -- I've heard old clinchers aren't nearly as strong as modern ones, though heavier. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to ride these. I would be using this wheelset on the street, not the track. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of this?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Super Course fan redneckwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
    Posts
    2,627
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my miles come on things like 70's and 80's Weinmann's, Rigida's, and Super Champion 81's ect...

    Ride em, you will be fine.
    http://bicyclenut.bravehost.com/Bicy...nt%20page.html

    The last two bikes on my list are a 50's Lenton Grand Prix and a '64 Raleigh Record.

  3. #3
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    I was looking at a track wheelset someone locally is selling. The wheelset is unused but built up from deadstock vintage (1980s) hubs and Campy clincher rims. I was wondering about riding clincher rims this old, even deadstock ones -- I've heard old clinchers aren't nearly as strong as modern ones, though heavier. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to ride these. I would be using this wheelset on the street, not the track. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of this?
    Thanks!
    My 25 year old 36hole matrix (rear) clincher rim cracked badly while I was on my rollers last year, however, my 25 year old 36hole mavic module e's are still going strong.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RK1963 View Post
    My 25 year old 36hole matrix (rear) clincher rim cracked badly while I was on my rollers last year, however, my 25 year old 36hole mavic module e's are still going strong.
    I'm interested to know what exactly happens when your rim cracks as I've never had that happen to me. Did your wheel collapse? Did the brake lock the wheel?

    Danny

  5. #5
    Unique Vintage Steel cuda2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Allen, TX
    My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Posts
    11,487
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently built up some wheels with Campagnolo Omega 19 rims. They've run nicely for me so far.
    [CENTER][URL="http://VeloBase.com"][IMG]http://velobase.com/App_Themes/VeloBase2_blue/Images/VeloBase2TitleCampagnolo.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://JonPFischer.com"][COLOR="#006400"]Fischer Photography[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/785462-My-new-modern-quot-Classic-quot-Kirk-JKS-Classic-Terraplane"][COLOR="#8b0000"]Kirk Frameworks JKS-Classic Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80's Campy rims would not really be considered "old", design wise they are very similar to a modern traditional rim. I think the concern with earlier (60's and 70's) clinchers rims where flanges that did not hold hi-pressure tires on well. This was when tubulars were the only choice for racing.

    You'll be fine riding these.

  7. #7
    lurking nightrider LittleGinseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NE Florida
    My Bikes
    1987 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1987 Maruishi Professional, mid-80's Titan Exklusiv, 1981 Panasonic Sport, 1985 Club Fuji
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount View Post
    I've heard old clinchers aren't nearly as strong as modern ones, though heavier. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to ride these. Thanks!
    What model of Campy clinchers are you referring to? Campy made excellent rims, especially the ones with the offset eyelets.

    I'm running a mid-80's Omega XL Strada wheelset on one of my bikes. Couldn't be happier with them.
    Last edited by LittleGinseng; 04-22-08 at 01:21 PM. Reason: specifics
    "If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."Orson Wells

  8. #8
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the heck is "deadstock"?

    I've ridden plenty of old rims - clincher and tubular. The only problem I've ever had was with overtensioning spokes on a non-Campagnolo tubular rim and distorting the portion of the rim around the spoke holes. There was no catastrophic failure, but it did put an untimely end to a nice rim.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  9. #9
    lurking nightrider LittleGinseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NE Florida
    My Bikes
    1987 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1987 Maruishi Professional, mid-80's Titan Exklusiv, 1981 Panasonic Sport, 1985 Club Fuji
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
    what the heck is "deadstock"?
    Deadstock is discontinued merchandise that is still lying around and available for sale, aka NOS.
    "If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."Orson Wells

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGinseng View Post
    What model of Campy clinchers are you referring to? Campy made excellent rims, especially the ones with the offset eyelets.

    I'm running a mid-80's Omega XL Strada wheelset on one of my bikes. Couldn't be happier with them.
    They are Omega Strada Hardox

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mavic module are the best...It took getting hit by a car to make the rim out of round. Oh how I miss my Mavic Modules...I'm kicking myself for not buying the NOS pair of 27 1/4 modules for next to nothing!

  12. #12
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGinseng View Post
    Deadstock is discontinued merchandise that is still lying around and available for sale, aka NOS.
    Cool.

    I had a pair of those Campagnolo Omega's on the '90 Bob Jackson I rode last year. I have absolutely no criticism of them.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  13. #13
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoreFeet View Post
    Mavic module are the best...It took getting hit by a car to make the rim out of round. Oh how I miss my Mavic Modules...I'm kicking myself for not buying the NOS pair of 27 1/4 modules for next to nothing!

    +1. I gladly tolerate the extra weight, as these provide a great ride and stay true.

  14. #14
    Senior Member RK1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
    I'm interested to know what exactly happens when your rim cracks as I've never had that happen to me. Did your wheel collapse? Did the brake lock the wheel?

    Danny
    The rim suddenly went "untrue." Basically, the walls of the rim blew apart. I think it was the pressure of the 2 rollers on the back wheel against the old, fatigued alloy of the rim. Also, the tire was pumped to 100lbs. Anyway, it did blow away. 1st and only rim failure for me.

  15. #15
    dck
    dck is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Peninsula
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still riding a set of wheels I laced-up back around 1965.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •