Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-08, 05:20 PM   #1
Dawes-man
十人十色
Thread Starter
 
Dawes-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Bikes:
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sachs Huret triple front D

Did a search and found that the Duopar triple rear touring derailleur was very well thought of here, so I've bought one for my Peugeot PX60 (I'm as yet undecided whether to use it or a 1st generation Campa Rally that I've got). Now, all I need to complete the groupset is a front derailleur and this one has come up on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/3eoej6 - the seller claims it matches the Duopar. Is this as well thought of as the Duopar or is there a better alternative?

I'll be using it with a Campa NR (I think it is) triple chainset with 36, 42, 52 rings - I'm not planning on riding very heavily laden or up many mountains.

Another question, regarding fit; the derailleur is for a 28.6mm seat tube and the Pug's is 26.1mm. Obviously, it would have to be shimmed but is this an option for a front derailleur? Or will it move no matter what?

Last edited by Dawes-man; 04-22-08 at 05:29 PM.
Dawes-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 06:28 PM   #2
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not familiar with the model shown in the auction, but the original FD on my Duopar-equipped '82 Trek 728 appears as follows:



Rather flimsy cage on it - bends a bit too much for my liking, never did give me accurate shifts.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 10:39 PM   #3
Dawes-man
十人十色
Thread Starter
 
Dawes-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Bikes:
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
I am not familiar with the model shown in the auction, but the original FD on my Duopar-equipped '82 Trek 728 appears as follows:

Rather flimsy cage on it - bends a bit too much for my liking, never did give me accurate shifts.

-Kurt
Thanks for the comments, Kurt!

I see you have the same frame in the same colour as my Trek but mine left the factory as a 730 frame set. It's a great bike! http://flickr.com/photos/22983673@N0...7603905040368/ The bike in its latest colours are at the end of the album.
Dawes-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 11:00 PM   #4
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawes-man View Post
I see you have the same frame in the same colour as my Trek but mine left the factory as a 730 frame set. It's a great bike! http://flickr.com/photos/22983673@N0...7603905040368/ The bike in its latest colours are at the end of the album.
Similar, but not identical - mine is a dirty tan metallic & brown, not silver. The 730 is also quite different then the 728; the 728 is the frameset designation for the 720 touring model - the variant with the ridiculously long 531 chainstays:



I dare say your 730 is a far nicer riding machine. The chainstays and overall lack of stiffness of the 720 have led to its retirement (and partial cannibalization for parts) in my stable.

An '84 Raleigh Alyeska has since took over its duties (with it's own set of problems).

Take care,

-Kurt
__________________

Last edited by cudak888; 04-22-08 at 11:10 PM.
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:08 AM   #5
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 8,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawes-man View Post

Another question, regarding fit; the derailleur is for a 28.6mm seat tube and the Pug's is 26.1mm. Obviously, it would have to be shimmed but is this an option for a front derailleur? Or will it move no matter what?
Are you sure the outer diameter is not 28mm? That is the french standard for which a 28.6mm should fit fine on.

Personally I'd use the rally with a nuovo record front. The Rally is a well designed derailleur, why campagnolo took a step backwards one can never be sure. Some say it was the rejection of the 2st gen by the fans of campagnolo who claimed it looked to Japanese... It did, but that's because the japanese were onto something!
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:41 AM   #6
Dawes-man
十人十色
Thread Starter
 
Dawes-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Bikes:
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
Are you sure the outer diameter is not 28mm? That is the french standard for which a 28.6mm should fit fine on.

Personally I'd use the rally with a nuovo record front. The Rally is a well designed derailleur, why campagnolo took a step backwards one can never be sure. Some say it was the rejection of the 2st gen by the fans of campagnolo who claimed it looked to Japanese... It did, but that's because the japanese were onto something!
My apologies... that was a typo. The seat tube measures 28.1mm, not 26.1.

In the meantime, however, I decided to try the SunTour Compe V derailleur from the Dawes (which I'm presently rebuilding) and although the Dawes measures 28.6 the derailleur fits fine. So now it's a question of which derailleur? You reckon an NR would do the job... would a Super Record also be okay? I happen to have one of those lying around...

And many thanks!
Dawes-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:44 AM   #7
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawes-man View Post
You reckon an NR would do the job... would a Super Record also be okay? I happen to have one of those lying around...
SR = same cage as NR, with a black anodized pivot arm and titanium adjustment screws.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 01:25 AM   #8
Dawes-man
十人十色
Thread Starter
 
Dawes-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Bikes:
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
SR = same cage as NR, with a black anodized pivot arm and titanium adjustment screws.

-Kurt
Thanks Kurt! All my problems are solved... well, almost
Dawes-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.