1) Soak it with PB blaster. Do it from the top, and as well, turn the bike over and spray down into the fork steerer tube.
2) Attempt to move it. If it moves, as soon as it moves, soak it again. Wait fifteen minutes.
3) Repeat steps one and two until it really comes free.
Failing that, here's the drastic method:
1) Take hacksaw. Saw off stem as close to the top as you can.
2) Get what is called a "drop" hacksaw. This is a blade on a handle; you can place the blade inside the stem.
3) Saw three grooves down the inside of stem. Take care not to saw into the fork steerer; you don't want to cut all the way thru the wall of the stem.
4) Take a hammer and punch. Place the punch on the outside of the stem, about where the middle of the three cuts inside the stem is. Strike punch with hammer. Stem should collapse and you can pick out the bits.
Obviously this method destroys the stem.
Some report success using ammonia. Some also use heat. Though not together, I think.
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"
Waste your money! Buy my comic book
Last edited by Poguemahone; 05-29-08 at 04:51 PM.