Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-08, 08:17 AM   #1
bigwoo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
70's Fuji, Higher-End, Wish me luck!

A guy listed what sounds like a higher-end Fuji from the 70's and I'm going to check it out this weekend.

It definitely sounds 70's, is a brilliant "Candy Apple Green" w/ the metal Mt Fuji head badge, has 1/2 chromed fork, and the original leather saddle which I believe were not Brooks/Ideale, but rather were called "Fujita".....

I wish there was still a model name somewhere on the frame.....

I've been wanting a nice Japanese build/project for a while. Of course if I pick it up, I will post photos!
Wish me luck guys

Last edited by bigwoo; 09-19-08 at 08:34 AM.
bigwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:24 AM   #2
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck BW!

Sounds like it could be a S10-S, I know they had years they produced are very nice green they called "Jade" I've seen one, it's gorgeous. The Sports 10 models were available in green but that didn't have the chrome forks. The colors of the S10-S were wild, here's a pic of my '78 purple S10 and it's Fujita/Belt saddle. Robatsu posted some additional photos of it on his Fuji Otaku blog.





-S
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:53 AM   #3
fiataccompli
Steel Member
 
fiataccompli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: N + 1
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a yellowish/orange Fuji of a similar vintage that looks like the same build - center pull brakes, brackets for cables, hubs, Belt leather saddle, etc...it has the markings "Dynamic 10" on it. Mine's not nearly as pretty (condition, I mean) as the one above, but I have kept it to clean up and ride a little because it's a real time capsule and seems to have been a decently respectable bike for its time.
fiataccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 12:17 PM   #4
riomx
Senior Member
 
riomx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: 199? Red Peugeot Triathlon
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoo View Post
A guy listed what sounds like a higher-end Fuji from the 70's and I'm going to check it out this weekend.

It definitely sounds 70's, is a brilliant "Candy Apple Green" w/ the metal Mt Fuji head badge, has 1/2 chromed fork, and the original leather saddle which I believe were not Brooks/Ideale, but rather were called "Fujita".....

I wish there was still a model name somewhere on the frame.....

I've been wanting a nice Japanese build/project for a while. Of course if I pick it up, I will post photos!
Wish me luck guys
Didn't you just put up a considerable amount bikes from your collection on Craigslist?
riomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 12:40 PM   #5
bigwoo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riomx View Post
Didn't you just put up a considerable amount bikes from your collection on Craigslist?
Yes, I wanted a good reliable motorcycle for my commute to the lab. In my private life, I estimate that I am roughly 85% car-free. However, I have to drive to get to work, realistically because our light rail/mass transit doesn't go near my job......Unless I want to get up at 4:15 every day to try to ride it.....

I'm happy to be thinning out my collection, but a nice Japanese model has always eluded me; wrong size or wrong feel. I am a SUCKER for Candy Apple Red and Green!!

Anyways, my theory is that w/ a motorbike your emissions have an overall less negative effect on the air quality and environment than the same drive w/ a 4-wheeled vehicle due to the amt of petro you are burning.... I hope that my logic isn't too out of whack there.....

Last edited by bigwoo; 09-19-08 at 03:40 PM.
bigwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 12:45 PM   #6
bigwoo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottryder View Post
Good luck BW!

Sounds like it could be a S10-S,,,
A "Jade Fuji would be pretty cool!
BTW, Your bike is freekin' gorgeous
bigwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 12:49 PM   #7
bigwoo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bigwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
I have a yellowish/orange Fuji of a similar vintage that looks like the same build - center pull brakes, brackets for cables, hubs, Belt leather saddle, etc...it has the markings "Dynamic 10" on it. Mine's not nearly as pretty (condition, I mean) as the one above, but I have kept it to clean up and ride a little because it's a real time capsule and seems to have been a decently respectable bike for its time.
I agree w/ you, I think that for touring or commuting you can't go wrong w/ a classic Fuji.... You should post some photos!
bigwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 12:47 PM   #8
riomx
Senior Member
 
riomx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: 199? Red Peugeot Triathlon
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoo View Post
Yes, I wanted a good reliable motorcycle for my commute to the lab. In my private life, I estimate that I am roughly 85% car-free. However, I have to drive to get to work, realistically because our light rail/mass transit doesn't go near my job......Unless I want to get up at 4:15 every day to try to ride it.....

I'm happy to be thinning out my collection, but a nice Japanese model has always eluded me; wrong size or wrong feel. I am a SUCKER for Candy Apple Red and Green!!

Anyways, my theory is that w/ a motorbike your emissions have an overall less negative effect on the air quality and environment than the same drive w/ a 4-wheeled vehicle due to the amt of petro you are burning.... I hope that my logic isn't too out of whack there.....
I hear ya. I was just laughing to myself thinking that you may have wanted to thin things out, but bike addiction got the best of you again

I know it happens to me all the time now.

Good luck on finding a motorbike.

You may want to check Craigslist for a $100 red 55cm lightly-ridden (supposedly) Panasonic that just went up today.
riomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 03:47 PM   #9
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Higher-end Fuji of the 70s were:
Fuji Ace (came in orange only with first D/A gruppo).
Fuji Professional (sold one last year to a collector; yes with Fujita leather saddle) came in a color called Mink (silverish)
Fuji Finest (came in either blue or white) and owned one for several years.
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 06:01 PM   #10
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ahhh, yes, but you haven't included the Newest. First in the Fuji line in 1972 until 1976 when it was bumped to number two by the Professional.

Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 07:21 PM   #11
Old Fat Guy
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Fuji with Dura Ace in green for sale now:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/bik/848015908.html

Am I asking too little for it?
Old Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 07:38 PM   #12
fiataccompli
Steel Member
 
fiataccompli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: N + 1
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoo View Post
I agree w/ you, I think that for touring or commuting you can't go wrong w/ a classic Fuji.... You should post some photos!
It needs a little spa time in my workshop before it's ready to pose for the camera, I think...

also...are the clips that hold the cables available somewhere?
fiataccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.