Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any vintage MTB or Cross bikes here

    I know MTBReview has an excellent forum for MTB's. http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 How about vintage cyclocross bikes.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up what looks to be a '91 cyclocross bike, allegedly a Gitane. I'll be posting pics one of these days, when i have the time...

  3. #3
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
    I just picked up what looks to be a '91 cyclocross bike, allegedly a Gitane. I'll be posting pics one of these days, when i have the time...
    Other than touring bikes, there doesn't seem to be much of a selection of canti equipped vintage bikes out there. I've been turning my attention to vintage MTBs. That is if you can call a MTB vintage.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if 90's MTBs are vintage yet but my old schwinn commuter MTB is 18 years old...and a tank.
    Last edited by mellobud; 09-19-08 at 03:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member eogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    My Bikes
    Geared Road: 94(?)Giordana Capella - SS Road: KHS Flite 300 Conversion - MTB: '94 Univega CB S8.3
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a Univega CB S8.3. It's from '94. Not exactly vintage. I'd post pictures but it's in mexico!

  6. #6
    Senior Member sonatageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a mid-90's Schwinn Sidewinder with a 23" frame that I am thinking about converting into more of a 'road' style bike with drop bars. If I were using it as a mountain bike the frame would be much too big for me, but as a road bike it seems just about right.

  7. #7
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,164
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nearest thing to a cyclocross bike I have ever owned is my Peugeot UO-8, when I equipped it with 27 x 1-3/8" knobbies, 165mm crankset, 45-42 / 13-26 half-step gearing, and barcons.

    Does my Schwinn, which just turned 20 years old and is definitely old-school, qualify as a vintage MTB?
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  8. #8
    Senior Member bigwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked out our "Show us your vintage MTB.." thread yet? There are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeous machines in that thread....
    EDIT: I just tried finding it, but can't. I hope that we didn't lose it during the last system crash!!

    Specialized was one of the 1st Co's to try to push a radical idea called a "cross bike" back around 1987-ish with the Rock Combo and Cross Roads models, but people weren't ready for cross bikes then.

    Here is my 1988 Specialized "Rock Combo". I love the "outback rig" look that these bikes have

    http://

    Notice the sloping top tube, which was pretty much unheard of at the time
    http://

    http://
    Last edited by bigwoo; 09-20-08 at 07:59 AM.
    "Mommy's all right, Daddy's all right, They just seem a little weird"

    BICYCLE- The simplest and noblest machine:And they're all fun to ride, really

  9. #9
    Senior Member cyclodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    S.E. Mi.
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no, cross bike and 'cross bike (cyclocross) are two completly different things. While they may bear a superficial resemblance to one another.While difficult to define, a cross bike is essentially some sort of hybid or "cross" between a road and off road bike. A cyclocross bike is a machine designed and built for a specific purpose, that being cyclocross racing. Cyclocross bikes may look like touring bikes but the geometry and construction are not even close.
    A while back I started a thread looking for vintage photos and info on old cross bikes and the results were dissapointing...
    Vintage Cyclo-cross bikes?
    Here's the vintage MTB thread...
    Show us your vintage mountain bikes!
    Last edited by cyclodan; 09-20-08 at 08:39 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member bigwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]
    Posts
    1,341
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclodan View Post
    No, no, cross bike and 'cross bike (cyclocross) are two completly different things. While they may bear a superficial resemblance to one another.While difficult to define, a cross bike is essentially some sort of hybid or "cross" between a road and off road bike. A cyclocross bike is a machine designed and built for a specific purpose, that being cyclocross racing. Cyclocross bikes may look like touring bikes but the geometry and construction are not even close.
    A while back I started a thread looking for vintage photos and info on old cross bikes and the results were dissapointing...
    Vintage Cyclo-cross bikes?
    Here's the vintage MTB thread...
    Show us your vintage mountain bikes!
    I think that I'm w/ you now... Your title says "Vintage MTB/Cross", but you are looking Cyclocross right?

    Although that type of racing has been done for 100 years in the European countryside, my understanding is that the actual manufacture of "official cyclocross circuit" bikes has only been going on for a few years- <15.....I'm wondering if cyclocross design and the real momentum of the sport didn't evolve from guys like this:

    http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/mountain.htm

    I don't think that you can exclude the history of MTB's from a field like cyclocross, even though they do have racing/road bike technology.
    Last edited by bigwoo; 09-20-08 at 09:28 AM.
    "Mommy's all right, Daddy's all right, They just seem a little weird"

    BICYCLE- The simplest and noblest machine:And they're all fun to ride, really

  11. #11
    Senior Member cyclodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    S.E. Mi.
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my thread but the OP used the term "cyclocross" in the first post. As far as the manufacture of purpose built cyclocross bikes being a fairly recent development I believe you are correct. Probably the last 15 years in the North American market and 25-30 in Europe. A lot of 'cross bikes were just older road machines that were modified to be used for 'cross racing. Old photos would suggest that singlespeeds and maybe even fixed gear bikes were used as late as the '50s.

  12. #12
    Senior Member cyclodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    S.E. Mi.
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a couple of pic's to spice up this thread...

    Classic Alan screwed and glued frame. Small diameter alu. tubing made this one light and comfy in the rough but less than durable.

    When men were men and 'crossers were single speeds...


    single ring set up looks like '70s...

  13. #13
    tuz
    tuz is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto/Montréal
    My Bikes
    Homemade mixte, track, commuter and road, Ryffranck road
    Posts
    1,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right here's mine. An old (50's?) British frame converted to CX in the 80's with canti braze-ons and cable guides. Nervex lugs, single ring TA setup. Very nice

    homebuilt commuter, mixte, road and track (+ Ryffranck road)
    bla bla blog

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few shots of the cyclocross bike I recently picked up. It's alleged to be a Gitane, but has been repainted, so there are no decals of any kind on it. Can anybody recognize it, whether as a Gitane, or another make? I'm guessing it's a '91, based on the hi-wire cable routing.













    Last edited by Blue Order; 09-21-08 at 01:54 AM.

  15. #15
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwoo View Post
    Have you checked out our "Show us your vintage MTB.." thread yet? There are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeous machines in that thread....
    I have and that's why I posted. Road to MTB posts are about 10,000 to 1 Seriously, this forum is at least 99% road bikes.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  16. #16
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclodan View Post
    A while back I started a thread looking for vintage photos and info on old cross bikes and the results were dissapointing...
    Vintage Cyclo-cross bikes?
    Here's the vintage MTB thread...
    Show us your vintage mountain bikes!
    That's what I meant. I guess everyone here is afraid to play in the dirt.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an 87 shogun priarie breaker pro.

    rode it hard on the trails & roads & commuted on it until 2002, when I picked up my 97 lemond road bike.

    i'm loaning the shogun to my brother in law today. he wants to see if biking is for him. i'm kind of nervous that he'll screw it up or lose it.

  18. #18
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I've got an 87 shogun priarie breaker pro.

    rode it hard on the trails & roads & commuted on it until 2002, when I picked up my 97 lemond road bike.

    i'm loaning the shogun to my brother in law today. he wants to see if biking is for him. i'm kind of nervous that he'll screw it up or lose it.
    It's times like that when having having a spare dumpster dive bike to loan out isn't really a bad idea. If you pick the bike up for free you're really not out anything if your buddies screw it up. Good luck on the Shogun.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    It's times like that when having having a spare dumpster dive bike to loan out isn't really a bad idea. If you pick the bike up for free you're really not out anything if your buddies screw it up. Good luck on the Shogun.
    Thx.

    My wife made me get rid of my old rustbucket schwinn collegiate, which I bought new in 1965 with paper-delivery money.

    Otherwise, I'd give him that one to suss out the whole bike riding thing.

  20. #20
    26 tpi nut. sailorbenjamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    5,489
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a vintage mountain bike?

    (1950 Schwinn DX with cantis infront and coaster in back)
    I have spoken.

  21. #21
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,499
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess both of these bikes might qualify. A 1992 Trek 950 and a 1993 Schwinn Crisscross. I picked up the Schwinn for $10 at a nearby garage sale, and the Trek on C/L for about $70. The only thing I had to do to the Schwinn was clean it and air up the tires. The Trek took quite a bit of work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    I guess both of these bikes might qualify. A 1992 Trek 950 and a 1993 Schwinn Crisscross. I picked up the Schwinn for $10 at a nearby garage sale, and the Trek on C/L for about $70. The only thing I had to do to the Schwinn was clean it and air up the tires. The Trek took quite a bit of work.
    Actually, the Crisscross is a hybrid, not a cyclocross. Very nice score, though!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
    Here are a few shots of the cyclocross bike I recently picked up. It's alleged to be a Gitane, but has been repainted, so there are no decals of any kind on it. Can anybody recognize it, whether as a Gitane, or another make? I'm guessing it's a '91, based on the hi-wire cable routing.
    Does anybody recognize this mystery vintage cyclocross bike?

  24. #24
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclodan View Post
    Not my thread but the OP used the term "cyclocross" in the first post. As far as the manufacture of purpose built cyclocross bikes being a fairly recent development I believe you are correct. Probably the last 15 years in the North American market and 25-30 in Europe. A lot of 'cross bikes were just older road machines that were modified to be used for 'cross racing. Old photos would suggest that singlespeeds and maybe even fixed gear bikes were used as late as the '50s.
    True to the old school spirit (but really, it's because my wife would probably divorce me if I bought a new CX bike), here's my '89 Trek 660 singlespeed CX on the super-cheap:





    I just bought some knobby tires and a quill stem adapter to get the bars up higher than my vintage ITM road stem. Raced it on Sunday. Lots of fun, can't wait to do it again.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Madison, Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1979 Rampar R-1 (SS Conversion), 1991 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does early 90s count?

    Jamis Exile.



    Picked it up Saturday (craigslist) for $75. Needs a little work -- the picture was taken before doing anything to the bike.

    Here's the head badge:

    Can't decide if the decals are worth keeping, though they're unusual.

    Any help in figuring out the model year would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •