Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-08, 07:03 PM   #1
dannyg1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'82 Trek 613: What would you do?

I have an '82 Trek 613, serial # ID, that I'm preparing for sale and the options are driving me a bit insane. The frame/fork is a charcoal grey 22.5" Ishiwata 022 with the spearpoint wrap seatstay caps; the dropout end caps are filed and pretty , but quite not to the same level as a 700 series. The paint is in good shape for its age and is still quite presentable, but there are scratches all over it. I've cleaned it to as best as it's ever going to be. ook around 4 hours so far.

Here's what's on the bike now (the stuff that matters for this discussion):

Crank: SR Nuovo Record wannabee (but far less refined) forged, one piece five arm spider.
RD, FD and Shifters: Suntour BL (Rare I know). Cyclone/Sprint level.
Brakes: Dia Compe 500
Seatpost: Cheap SR two piece alloy
Wheels: Nope!

Option 1 is to build the bike up from here and sell it. That'd be the cheapest and fastest but the brakes are horrid, the cranks only passable and I don't think that either belong on a frame of this caliber.

Option 2 is to build the bike in full Campagnolo NR. I have most of the parts and could do this inexpensively but, fom what I've seen, NR groups are actually worth more as a separate gruppo than they are built onto a classic frame. Like you'd pay $350 for the whole bike and the parts will get $450 alone. Thoughts?

Option 3 is to build the thing as a 10 spd (or 9 spd) retromod wth full, current Veloce, Rival or 105. This is cool but would cost me a good bit to set up and I'm not sure I can recoup my money. If I can build it for $400 more (which will be an extraordinary feat with wheels and shifters the two budget killers), do you think the result could sell for enough to make the effort worthwhile?

Option 4 is to just sell it as is.

So what dya'll think?
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 07:29 PM   #2
canonizer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The frame, I believe (according to the catalogue) is reynolds 531.
canonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 07:35 PM   #3
dannyg1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonizer View Post
The frame, I believe (according to the catalogue) is reynolds 531.
The serial number starts with 0202 and is a 600 series frame. It also sports 022 stickers.
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 07:43 PM   #4
canonizer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fair enough, I never trust decals, but I did not do a lot of research before replying.
canonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 08:50 PM   #5
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the 35223 (AL)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hate to be picky, but a quick glance at the catalogues on vintage-trek does not show any early 80's 600 series built with 022 (I have an '83 600 w/531c main tubes so I was curious). You might want to doublecheck that serial # against the list. I think you have a 410 frame, which was built with 022, or someone put some wrong frame tubing stickers on yours at some point.


But as far as resale: nix on option 2, although mine (I'm keeping) will have some NR.
I would either: 1. restore it to as close to the original components as possible within a reasonable budget, even if you think they suck; or
2. sell it as is with any original components you have hanging on the frame and let the buyer complete it; or 3:
3. remove all components and sell as F&F only.

I thought I might have a wheel[set] that I could sell you from my '83, but it looks like they used different hubs across those two years. edit: mine are Maillard, but Trek specs say Atom. Are those 2 related? edit2: velobase says yes, but I'm wondering if my hubs are original or not.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 09-19-08 at 08:55 PM.
Ex Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:32 PM   #6
dannyg1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did check the entire range and quadruple checked the serial for variants. I suspected that the bike might be a 412 as well, the seatpost, brakes and 022 decals said it could be, but the serial number says that it's a 600 series for sure. The last oddity about this frame is that it seems to be set up for 700c wheels. I'm going to do a more thorough set of measurements tomorrow and see if someone mounted long reach brakes.

I am interested in that wheelset and sent a PM.

Thanks,
Danny
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:35 PM   #7
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I don't think I saw the serial number. I'd like to look up the frame on Vintage Trek.

One of my first thoughts is that a build with Campy NR would be overbuilt. As new the bike would not have been sold this way. The parts you have are much closer to the as-new spec.

Not everything Trek used was very functional.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:38 PM   #8
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I have an '82 Trek 613, serial # ID, that I'm preparing for sale and the options are driving me a bit insane. The frame/fork is a charcoal grey 22.5" Ishiwata 022 with the spearpoint wrap seatstay caps; the dropout end caps are filed and pretty , but quite not to the same level as a 700 series. The paint is in good shape for its age and is still quite presentable, but there are scratches all over it. I've cleaned it to as best as it's ever going to be. ook around 4 hours so far.

Here's what's on the bike now (the stuff that matters for this discussion):

Crank: SR Nuovo Record wannabee (but far less refined) forged, one piece five arm spider.
RD, FD and Shifters: Suntour BL (Rare I know). Cyclone/Sprint level.
Brakes: Dia Compe 500
Seatpost: Cheap SR two piece alloy
Wheels: Nope!

Option 1 is to build the bike up from here and sell it. That'd be the cheapest and fastest but the brakes are horrid, the cranks only passable and I don't think that either belong on a frame of this caliber.

Option 2 is to build the bike in full Campagnolo NR. I have most of the parts and could do this inexpensively but, fom what I've seen, NR groups are actually worth more as a separate gruppo than they are built onto a classic frame. Like you'd pay $350 for the whole bike and the parts will get $450 alone. Thoughts?

Option 3 is to build the thing as a 10 spd (or 9 spd) retromod wth full, current Veloce, Rival or 105. This is cool but would cost me a good bit to set up and I'm not sure I can recoup my money. If I can build it for $400 more (which will be an extraordinary feat with wheels and shifters the two budget killers), do you think the result could sell for enough to make the effort worthwhile?

Option 4 is to just sell it as is.

So what dya'll think?

If you like the frame as a rider, I'd build it up the way you'll like it, and use the heck out of it. If not, make it work well with the parts you have, and get whatever you can.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 09:43 PM   #9
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the 35223 (AL)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I did check the entire range and quadruple checked the serial for variants. I suspected that the bike might be a 412 as well, the seatpost, brakes and 022 decals said it could be, but the serial number says that it's a 600 series for sure. The last oddity about this frame is that it seems to be set up for 700c wheels. I'm going to do a more thorough set of measurements tomorrow and see if someone mounted long reach brakes.

I am interested in that wheelset and sent a PM.

Thanks,
Danny
Answered your PM. To add to it, my wheelset is 27", so see if you have clearance.
Ex Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 05:18 AM   #10
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Bikes: '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Option 4 is to just sell it as is.

So what dya'll think?
My size, too.
Whatcha want? Might want to PM a reply.
Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.
top506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 12:10 PM   #11
dannyg1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I don't think I saw the serial number. I'd like to look up the frame on Vintage Trek.

One of my first thoughts is that a build with Campy NR would be overbuilt. As new the bike would not have been sold this way. The parts you have are much closer to the as-new spec.

Not everything Trek used was very functional.
The serial is #020273 and the color is charcoal, no contrasting panel. I realize that Campy would be a step up the Trek ladder, but I'm trying to maximize its market value in this case, not restore. I've since decided that the Campy NR idea is too risky and the market is hurting a bit on the higher end from what I can glean via trends.
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 12:52 PM   #12
canonizer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
according to vintage trek it's a 410: http://vintage-trek.com/SerialNos82.htm

610
22
019688-019987
82
410
21
019988-020087
82
410
21
020088-020187
82
610
21
020188-020237
82
410
22
020238-020337
82
730
55
020338-020387
82
canonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 01:15 PM   #13
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
The serial is #020273 and the color is charcoal, no contrasting panel. I realize that Campy would be a step up the Trek ladder, but I'm trying to maximize its market value in this case, not restore. I've since decided that the Campy NR idea is too risky and the market is hurting a bit on the higher end from what I can glean via trends.
It IS a 410 frame, 22 inch. The three main tubes are double butted Ishiwata, and the forks and stays are not butted. This frame is, while very good in terms of build and design, not going to be seen as one of Trek's best. I would sell it with the existing parts on it, or at least not with any parts that have value to you, and move on to get something you like. If you already have the Campy NR gruppo and you truly don't care about them, put them on and sell them, but if you sell them independently as a gruppo you would probably do better.

Many people who just want a nice servicable rugged steel frame, to use as a light tourer or commuter, would be interested in this frame, but probably not in a Campy gruppo. Performance riders today do not want this kind of bike.

It would make a nice long distance bike, with proper fitting and personalized component selection.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 01:20 PM   #14
dannyg1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks as though I was not checking carefully enough. 412 it is then but why the Suntour BL stuff? Way more expnsive than the VxT line at the time and an extremely unlikely substitution. A tweener?
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.