Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-04, 04:10 PM   #1
kabuki_joe
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kabuki 10 speed/stainless frame

Just took my bike to the shop to get it tuned-up. It's a Kabuki 10 speed from the late 1970's with at least a partial stainless steel frame. The guy at the shop said he'd never seen one of these in the 20 years he's worked on bikes.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what this bike is worth in good condition? The last time I had it worked on, the bike shop wanted to buy it from me. Never got into price with them, since I'm not lookiing to sell it. Lots of sentimental value.
kabuki_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-04, 06:09 PM   #2
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki_joe
Just took my bike to the shop to get it tuned-up. It's a Kabuki 10 speed from the late 1970's with at least a partial stainless steel frame. The guy at the shop said he'd never seen one of these in the 20 years he's worked on bikes.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what this bike is worth in good condition? The last time I had it worked on, the bike shop wanted to buy it from me. Never got into price with them, since I'm not lookiing to sell it. Lots of sentimental value.
From Shedlon Brown's cooler than water web site.

"Kabuki
When Japanese bikes were in high fashion, many companies went out of their way to market bikes under Japanese-associated names, including Lotus, Mikado, Shogun, and probably others. Kabuki was a trade name of Bridgestone (a Japanese company with a non-Japanese name!)
The Kabuki line used some unusual construction techniques, specifically, they had a system of sticking the frame tubes into a special mold and forming cast aluminum "lugs" in place around the ends of the tubes. The most notable of this line was the "Submariner" which used un-painted stainless steel tubing, and was marketed in seacoast areas for its rust-resistance. Because the cast aluminum lugs were not flexible like steel lugs, these bikes didn't use a conventional seat-post binder. Instead, they used a seatpost with an expander wedge like that of a handlebar stem...you had to remove the saddle from the seatpost to adjust the height, then re-install the saddle! Even sillier, many of these frames had what looked like a conventional seatpost bolt mounted in a projection of the rigid lug, simply to provide a place to mount a cable stop for the center-pull caliper brake!
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 08:37 AM   #3
Tiger88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki_joe
Just took my bike to the shop to get it tuned-up. It's a Kabuki 10 speed from the late 1970's with at least a partial stainless steel frame. The guy at the shop said he'd never seen one of these in the 20 years he's worked on bikes.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what this bike is worth in good condition? The last time I had it worked on, the bike shop wanted to buy it from me. Never got into price with them, since I'm not lookiing to sell it. Lots of sentimental value.
It's a Kabuki submariner, value in late 1970's were about $140-160. I had a friend who owned one and he replaced most of the parts on it that time because frame was so heavy.

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of it if you have it.
Tiger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-04, 11:33 AM   #4
legalize_it
legalize bikes
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: bucks county, PA
Bikes: too damn many
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have the same bike, but its a c.itoh instead of kabuki....has shimano 600 on it, including cranks and pedals, with a beautiful anodized black dura-ace rear hub. was a dumpster find so it was missing the front wheel. i kinda have an idea what happened to the front bc the where the top and down tubes meet the headtube is slightly buckled. needless to say this was in a bad head-on collision, and i have only rode it once, b4 i noticed the buckling. im currently searching for an 80s japanese road frame to put the shimano 600 on. hopefully ill find a nice miyata or shogun maybe...

if anyone has any 70's frames lying around, japanese or not, lemme know!!!
legalize_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 10:44 AM   #5
rleif
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalize_it
i have the same bike, but its a c.itoh instead of kabuki....has shimano 600 on it, including cranks and pedals, with a beautiful anodized black dura-ace rear hub. was a dumpster find so it was missing the front wheel. i kinda have an idea what happened to the front bc the where the top and down tubes meet the headtube is slightly buckled. needless to say this was in a bad head-on collision, and i have only rode it once, b4 i noticed the buckling. im currently searching for an 80s japanese road frame to put the shimano 600 on. hopefully ill find a nice miyata or shogun maybe...

if anyone has any 70's frames lying around, japanese or not, lemme know!!!

I have a Kabuki submariner from about 76. I might be interested in selling it.
rleif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 04:32 PM   #6
legalize_it
legalize bikes
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: bucks county, PA
Bikes: too damn many
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleif
I have a Kabuki submariner from about 76. I might be interested in selling it.
i might be interested in buying it!! what size frame? any pictures? are you thinking of selling it complete or just the frameset? does it have dura-ace hubs? price? you can reply to this thread or PM me....either way ill see it!
legalize_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.