Advertise on

User Tag List

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 'cruisers'

  1. #1
    Champion of the Low End Primitive Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Culver, IN
    My Bikes
    All Japanese, all the time
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)


    Seems like every day on Craigslist here in Chicago, I see numerous ads for bikes listed as 'cruisers.' But when I look at the actual ads, I notice that most of them are bikes of the English 3-speed persuasion or Schwinn road bikes with upright handlebars, pretty much all geared bikes with 27" wheels. I thought cruisers had big balloon tires and coaster brakes like my old Schwinn ballooner? Did I miss the memo?

    Is this just a marketing buzzword, or do these upright handlebar roadbikes fall into the cruiser category?


    87 Trek 560EX * 83 Schwinn Traveler * Sanwa SS Conversion * 80s Chicago Schwinn Traveler SS/FG Conversion * 2011 Fuji Sagres 2.0

  2. #2
    Upright bars SirMike1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    My Bikes
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruiser is a generic term used for any bicycle with upright handlebars by people who don't really know any better. Most people know you have road bikes (drop bars, skinny tires), mountain bikes (flat bars, big knobby tires), and cruisers (oldie type bicycles with upright bars). I think it's just a measure of someone not being familiar with the different types of old bikes.

    I don't use the word "cruiser" much any more because of just what you described-- it really seems to mean anything with an old look and upright bars. It fails to discriminate any more between ballooners, middle weights, and 3 speeds.
    English Roadsters, American Roadsters, and Balloon Tire Bicycles
    The Bike Shed classic bicycle blog:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts