Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If Schwinn did not make a 1972 Superior......

    Then why does the serial number on my Superior start with MH(023194). All of the information I have states that an MH Superior is manufacturered in December of 1972. Is there something wrong with the way my bicycle is serialized?

    I've been calling my Superior a 1976 but while in Houston at a Schwinn bike shop this past week, the man that has worked on Schwinn's for 41 years said that my bike is a 1972 Superior.

  2. #2
    Super Course fan redneckwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
    Posts
    2,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likely a December production machine would have been for the '73 Sales season. So it would most likely match the specs of a '73 model.
    http://bicyclenut.bravehost.com/Bicy...nt%20page.html

    The last two bikes on my list are a 50's Lenton Grand Prix and a '64 Raleigh Record.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a recycled (no pun intened) Sports Tourer. Schwinn used up the Sports Tourer stock and rebranded them as "Superior". Only difference between the two models was the kickstand. (Frame wise)

  4. #4
    Senior Member screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fender1 View Post
    It is a recycled (no pun intened) Sports Tourer. Schwinn used up the Sports Tourer stock and rebranded them as "Superior". Only difference between the two models was the kickstand. (Frame wise)
    So it still could be a 1972 because of the MH? M meaning December and H meaning '72.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That late in the year it would be next years model or a 1973. I don't believe Superiors were made in 1973 so it is a Sports Tourer frame that was used up by Schwinn when they started making Superiors again. Roger

  6. #6
    Senior Member screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
    That late in the year it would be next years model or a 1973. I don't believe Superiors were made in 1973 so it is a Sports Tourer frame that was used up by Schwinn when they started making Superiors again. Roger
    Well, I am confused now. I thought Schwinn didn't start making the Superior again until 1976. The serial number says it's a '72 and now you're telling me it's a '73. Did Schwinn screw up their serial number system and records keeping that bad?

  7. #7
    Uff Da!
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the 4 digit number stamped into the head badge. That dates when the bike was assembled for sale. The frame s/n just dates when the frame was made. Usually there is only one or sometimes two year discrepency, but we have seen this before, particularly on this model.

  8. #8
    Senior Member screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Check the 4 digit number stamped into the head badge. That dates when the bike was assembled for sale. The frame s/n just dates when the frame was made. Usually there is only one or sometimes two year discrepency, but we have seen this before, particularly on this model.
    That number is 2236. What does that tell us?

  9. #9
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    That number is 2236. What does that tell us?
    Your Superior was assembled on the 223rd day of 1976. The frame was built four years earlier in December, 1972. Schwinn used left over fillet brazed frames from the early seventies to build the 1976 Superiors.

    1976 Superior
    - Stan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •