Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump! (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/491454-your-catch-day-saved-dump.html)

EjustE 02-20-10 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 10429607)
Another winter project completed…
This ‘72 bronze Super Course came to me in a pretty sorry state: The bearings were set in dried brown mortar, and it was covered in dirt, stickers, and aluminum duct tape.

After cleaning, I overhauled it, and replaced the front wheel with the Weinmann here that I rebuilt. (It was a pretzl.) The seat tube decorations you see are from a local auto parts store. The Kenda’s are OK(especially for the price), but I’ll probably put some Panaracers on it later.

The freewheel and chain are new, otherwise I retained the running gear as it was when I bought it - including an old Suntour V-GT-Luxe DR, which I am pretty pleased with. Nothing wrong with that cottered Stronglight crank either IMO.

- I decided to do just a half-wrap on the bars, and I know it looks like I chintzed on the cable housings as well (black on the bars and white elsewhere) - but I think it gives it a bit of an austere look, which was my intention.

Anyway, here ‘tis.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighSCsidea.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ghSCDrivea.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighSCHeada.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...hSCfrtisoa.jpg

That's a mightly great looking Super Course

auchencrow 02-21-10 07:57 AM

Thanks E, and Iowegian. It is always gratifying to have one’s own efforts acknowledged by his fellow-aficionados :). . . Also, and at the risk of sounding a little recondite, I must say that when you salvage a bike like this, it's doubly rewarding: Riding it for the first time yesterday, I could feel its old bones were grateful for having been restored, and happy to be tooling around once again, after such a long time.

cb400bill 02-21-10 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 10429607)
The seat tube decorations you see are from a local auto parts store.

Great job on the resto!

Can you tell me more about the seat tube stickers? Maybe post a close up pic?

Fast Cloud 02-21-10 09:17 AM

Great job crow. :thumb: Now I'm feeling guilty since mine is in pieces all over the bike cave floor.:o It's getting down to the nitty gritty...restore and try to sell or just part it out. I suppose I could convince myself that a 56cm isn't a little too big. :innocent:

Once again, awesome job and that copper is perfect. :love:

auchencrow 02-21-10 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 10430920)
Great job on the resto!

Can you tell me more about the seat tube stickers? Maybe post a close up pic?

Thank you cb400bill -

The stick-on appliques from the local auto parts place are pictured below - The chrome bright/mylar comes in a wide roll, and the pin striping is available in a variety of colors. It's pretty tough stuff, but remarkably easy to apply.

I found another application for it on a Schwinn Premis I'm working on - (the bike with the purple chain stays below) - I replaced the original chewed up gummy black mastic chain protector with the chrome stuff and it looks 100% better.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h.../applique1.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...eapplique2.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...eapplique3.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ayapplique.jpg

auchencrow 02-21-10 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Cloud (Post 10431042)
Great job crow. :thumb: Now I'm feeling guilty since mine is in pieces all over the bike cave floor.:o It's getting down to the nitty gritty...restore and try to sell or just part it out. I suppose I could convince myself that a 56cm isn't a little too big. :innocent:

Once again, awesome job and that copper is perfect. :love:

Thanks Fast Cloud -
- Of course I am biased (I love the dreamy ride quality and am partial to the looks of an old Super Course road bike) but I would say you really ought to reassemble yours.... You just may find that (unless your feet don't reach the pedals) you can comfortably ride a bike that is a little bit larger - (at least certainly more comfortably than one which is too small).
- And even if you can't get comfortable on it, preserving these old Raleigh SCs is a worthwhile endeavor, both for posterity and for your pocketbook, since these bikes are beginning to command some respect, and much higher prices.

kingfish254 02-21-10 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 10431149)
Thank you cb400bill -

The stick-on appliques from the local auto parts place are pictured below - The chrome bright/mylar comes in a wide roll, and the pin striping is available in a variety of colors. It's pretty tough stuff, but remarkably easy to apply.

I found another application for it on a Schwinn Premis I'm working on - (the bike with the purple chain stays below) - I replaced the original chewed up gummy black mastic chain protector with the chrome stuff and it looks 100% better.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h.../applique1.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...eapplique2.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...eapplique3.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ayapplique.jpg

Looks like an easy way to trick out your bike.

Sixty Fiver 02-21-10 11:38 AM

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighSCsidea.jpg

Absofreakinglutely gorgeous bike.

auchencrow 02-21-10 01:18 PM

:)

Bikedued 02-21-10 02:07 PM

Picked up a Brooks copper rail Pro WITH a Brooks rain cover, for $80. One scuff/scratch on the top left of the nose, but not bad enough to cry over. The rest
of it is tip top, and doesn't even look like someone "tried" to break it in. Not a lot of mounting scratches on the rails either. Guessing by the code on
the bottom, it's two years old? "OL8?",,,,BD

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCN0230.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCN0231.jpg

kingfish254 02-22-10 01:44 PM

Picked up a strange Bianchi Advantage. It looks like a softtail but isn't. The front fork isn't bent, but it sure has a strange angle. I figured $5 was teh right price to flip it to a student as a daily.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...ge/bianchi.jpg

kingfish254 02-22-10 01:47 PM

Picked this up at Goodwill for only $11. It is a Raleigh Super Record Mixte Made in Japan with serial NIE0847.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...leighMixte.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...ixte/badge.jpg

sonatageek 02-22-10 05:18 PM

So I traded a bike carrier that I found in the trash for this Viscount Sebring. It looks to have a new chrome replacement fork on it (with canti bosses) and a new seat. It looks to have been crashed as can be seen in the picture of the top tube.

[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/IMG_3359.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/IMG_3360.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/IMG_3365.jpg[/IMG]

raverson 02-22-10 08:04 PM

Picked up this unidentified full suspension mtb on CL last week for $5. Oversize steel tubing. Serial #YM97025379

Anybody have a clue as to what it is?

noglider 02-22-10 08:46 PM

raverson, I don't know, but with that paint job, it's cute.

Very nice work on that Super Course, auchencrow.

billbillw 02-23-10 12:16 PM

Well, I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I'm going to look at an '86 Schwinn LeTour (ladies version) tonight. Supposed to be in great shape. Only asking $90. Not for me, for my wife. If its like advertised, it will be a nice matching frost white to go with the '88 Miyata 512 I picked up last week.

curbtender 02-23-10 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw (Post 10440829)
Well, I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I'm going to look at an '86 Schwinn LeTour (ladies version) tonight. Supposed to be in great shape. Only asking $90. Not for me, for my wife. If its like advertised, it will be a nice matching frost white to go with the '88 Miyata 512 I picked up last week.

Ahhh yes, I have about 6 bikes that my wife will ride, someday. Doesn't hurt to go see what it looks like in person, right?

Sixty Fiver 02-23-10 05:48 PM

This has been a project that took a few winters to complete... not nearly as pretty as that Carlton of auchencrow's and if it gets re-painted it will be copper brown as well.

My friend gave me the bike... :)

It is a 1954 Raleigh Sports with a drop bar / 700c conversion and the only $$$ I spent were to get new bar tape and I just replaced the chain and increased the drive cog to a shiny new 20 tooth to get a better gearing.

It has actually been nice enough to ride on the main roads which are pretty much clear and free of ice and snow and I even rode a little in the valley on some of the hard pack... the frame geometry and 700:32's do a lot to take the bite out of rough roads.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...ighsports3.JPG

jamesj 02-23-10 05:54 PM

I do like this bike.
I wonder if i could pull this look off with it...




Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 10442361)
This has been a project that took a few winters to complete... not nearly as pretty as that Carlton of auchencrow's and if it gets re-painted it will be copper brown as well.

My friend gave me the bike... :)

It is a 1954 Raleigh Sports with a drop bar conversion and the only $$$ I spent were to get new bar tape and I just replaced the chain and increased the drive cog to a shiny new 20 tooth to get a better gearing.

It has actually been nice enough to ride on the main roads which are pretty much clear and free of ice and snow and I even rode a little in the valley on some of the hard pack... the frame geometry and 700:32's do a lot to take the bite out of rough roads.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...ighsports3.JPG


kingfish254 02-23-10 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesj (Post 10442388)
I do like this bike.
I wonder if i could pull this look off with it...

I really like the two tone. I am thinking about trying the mustard fenders from this Raleigh Sprite
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMAGE_0201.jpg




On this 1948 Rudge

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...01948/RWa1.jpg

EjustE 02-23-10 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raverson (Post 10438010)
Picked up this unidentified full suspension mtb on CL last week for $5. Oversize steel tubing. Serial #YM97025379

Anybody have a clue as to what it is?

Next

raverson 02-23-10 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EjustE (Post 10442804)
Next

you guys are killing me

Smokinapankake 02-24-10 08:34 AM

Doubt its Next; it would have a crappy alum frame or non integrated rear der. mount. Don't know what it is, though.

twoducks 02-24-10 09:06 AM

This Cinelli stem came with a repainted 1966 Atala frame I bought for myself (posted a thread about it). I've had it for months just sitting on my desk looking pretty. Can anyone tell me anything about it? As near as I can tell from my web-crawling, it's likely from the late 50's or maybe early 60's. Love the brass badge. Sorry about the webcam pics, my camera bit the dust.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/...19d18137_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/...07548bae_o.jpg

mkeller234 02-24-10 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoducks (Post 10444706)
This Cinelli stem came with a repainted 1966 Atala frame I bought for myself (posted a thread about it). I've had it for months just sitting on my desk looking pretty. Can anyone tell me anything about it? As near as I can tell from my web-crawling, it's likely from the late 50's or maybe early 60's. Love the brass badge. Sorry about the webcam pics, my camera bit the dust.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/...19d18137_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/...07548bae_o.jpg

I can tell you that thing is worth a pretty penny... I would search the completed auctions on ebay.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.