Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-09, 12:12 PM   #626
mainducoyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr23932 View Post
The cheapest way would be USPS. Given that, I think you might not be able to ship the bike to Australia due to the sizing restrictions (Max. length 42", Max length plus girth combined 79"). Also, if you are able to get it within those limits, the cost would be over $150. You best make sure they know that before they bid. You will not have any problem with Japan as the size limit is Max length plus girth combined 108". TO japan it will cost about 130 though.
I'd be more generous when quoting international shipping costs. I have had to charge over $650 to ship a Pinarello to the UK with UPS.
mainducoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:32 PM   #627
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (in progress...), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special (in progress...), 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8
Posts: 3,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, this just fell into my hands. It's a 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport. I had to replace a couple of spokes and true up the back wheel and I threw on these cheap Nashbar tires that I had in the garage but otherwise this is how I got it. I accidentally left the rear derailleur and chain in my friend's garage but he'll drop those off next week. It's unfortunate that it's too big for me. It's a 25" by Moto measurements, 62cm C-C - too big for me as I can't go more than 58.5cm tops. Anyway, it's a nice bike with (I assume as there are no stickers and no catalogs online from 1981) Vitus 888 tubing with Inexternal (internally lugged) construction, Nervar crank, Atax stem and seat post, Phillipe bars, an unidentified suede Italian saddle wearing Motobecane logos (looks a lot like those Mundialita suede saddles on eBay right now), Moto branded headset, Weinmann brakes, Rigida rims, Shimano hubs, and Suntour Blue Line derailluers and shifters.

Aside from the obvious size problem it's got an issue with the orphaned Shimano old style Uniglide cassette hub with it's 13-23 cassette. Much too high geared to for Colorado and difficult to replace though if the frame fit me I guess I would go through the trouble. I might see if my son wants it as he is a couple of inches tasller than me.

__________________
1959 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional, 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame),
1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame),
1974 Peugeot UO-8, 1988 Panasonic PT-3500, 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 2004 Bianchi Pista
Kommisar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:37 PM   #628
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!
 
gr23932's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sepa la chingad....
Bikes:
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
What i do when i have to overseas a bike is to put the wheels and all the other junk in one box and in the second box put the frame with little other parts.
Shipping a whole bike in two boxes really won't save you much in terms costs since you're having to ship two boxes and the only the major concern is getting it (whole bike or frame) to fit within the allowed dimensions. Either way, I've found it almost impossible to fit just a frame set via USPS to countries with a size restriction of Max.length 36", max. length plus girth 79". I even once tried cutting the box along the edges of the frame to try to pass the size restrictions put I was turned down as they tend to measure the largest sides regardless if it's not a square/rectangular box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainducoyote View Post
I'd be more generous when quoting costs. I have had to charge over $650 to ship a Pinarello to the UK with UPS.
WOW!! You must of made a huge profit on just the shipping. USPS shipping cost to the UK for a 45lbs box is only $159.50. I just can't believe someone actually payed $650 on just the shipping. Was the box it was shipped in made of Gold??? Of the three bikes I've sold to people in the UK, the most I've been charge for shipping has been $148.75.
__________________
Ese dicho que me han dicho que tú has dicho que yo he dicho, ese dicho no lo he dicho, porque si lo hubiera dicho, ese dicho estaría bien dicho por haberlo dicho yo.
gr23932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 05:29 PM   #629
BikeMonger
Member
 
BikeMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: This week or last week?
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommisar89 View Post

Thats the size I like. I can never find the big frame bike, i allways find the small ones.

That is a real sweetheart, Very nice!
BikeMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 05:38 PM   #630
BikeMonger
Member
 
BikeMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: This week or last week?
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
Very nice, any shots of the BB shell?


I edited the photo cause it was dark, The photo makes things alot worse than it really is, its just a bit dirty.
BikeMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:50 PM   #631
mainducoyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr23932 View Post
Shipping a whole bike in two boxes really won't save you much in terms costs since you're having to ship two boxes and the only the major concern is getting it (whole bike or frame) to fit within the allowed dimensions. Either way, I've found it almost impossible to fit just a frame set via USPS to countries with a size restriction of Max.length 36", max. length plus girth 79". I even once tried cutting the box along the edges of the frame to try to pass the size restrictions put I was turned down as they tend to measure the largest sides regardless if it's not a square/rectangular box.



WOW!! You must of made a huge profit on just the shipping. USPS shipping cost to the UK for a 45lbs box is only $159.50. I just can't believe someone actually payed $650 on just the shipping. Was the box it was shipped in made of Gold??? Of the three bikes I've sold to people in the UK, the most I've been charge for shipping has been $148.75.
Your in Belgium , I'm in Canada . Its impossible to ship a complete through Canadapost (USPS) so I had to go through UPS (was cheaper than Fedex) . If you want to try it , use the UPS calculator and simulate shipping a bike sized box from Canada to UK . I think I actually lost money on shipping... We really get ripped off in Canada and it hurts my international sales quite a bit.
mainducoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 09:26 PM   #632
PlatyPius
Arsehole
 
PlatyPius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine14six View Post
Traded a Trek Y-5 that I had grown to detest for this Lemond Zurich.

Good move. The Y-5s sucked.
PlatyPius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 09:53 PM   #633
Chris_in_Miami
Senior Member
 
Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine14six View Post
Traded a Trek Y-5 that I had grown to detest for this Lemond Zurich.

Nice score! I was tempted to go check it out (it was right around the corner from me,) and I didn't realize it was that clean. Glad to see that it went to someone who will take care of it.
Chris_in_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 06:00 AM   #634
nine14six
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
Nice score! I was tempted to go check it out (it was right around the corner from me,) and I didn't realize it was that clean. Glad to see that it went to someone who will take care of it.
It was definitely worth it if only to get rid of the Y-5, but the frame is near perfect and it has a very nice set of Mavic SUP rims laced onto Dura-Ace hubs. There wasn't a matched set of anything on this bike. It's as if someone went out of their way to make sure there were as few matching components as possible. It had a Sugino crank with Shimano rings that were improperly mounted, a Shimano Deore LX RD, 105 FD, RSX brakes, Specialized BB, 105 brifters, ITM stem and a gigantic 46mm handlebar. Luckily I got a good condition Ultegra 9spd RD, FD and brifter set from a friend that works at my LBS, and I had a Shimano 600 crank, and a handlebar and stem that fit me from another bike that I parted out. I took it on my ride yesterday and it's a very nice bike. I have to say that the quality of the frame is very good and I really like the paint scheme. It's too bad that the Lemond name has become a bit of a downer.
nine14six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 07:33 AM   #635
slushlover2
Senior Member
 
slushlover2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine14six View Post
It was definitely worth it if only to get rid of the Y-5, but the frame is near perfect and it has a very nice set of Mavic SUP rims laced onto Dura-Ace hubs. There wasn't a matched set of anything on this bike. It's as if someone went out of their way to make sure there were as few matching components as possible. It had a Sugino crank with Shimano rings that were improperly mounted, a Shimano Deore LX RD, 105 FD, RSX brakes, Specialized BB, 105 brifters, ITM stem and a gigantic 46mm handlebar. Luckily I got a good condition Ultegra 9spd RD, FD and brifter set from a friend that works at my LBS, and I had a Shimano 600 crank, and a handlebar and stem that fit me from another bike that I parted out. I took it on my ride yesterday and it's a very nice bike. I have to say that the quality of the frame is very good and I really like the paint scheme. It's too bad that the Lemond name has become a bit of a downer.
Does nine14six relate to what you drive?
slushlover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 12:10 PM   #636
vinnydelnegro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up this nice Nishiki yesterday. Can anyone help me identify model, year and frame material? Serial number is kj 27447. It looks like a Comp II but without the chrome stays: http://www.stevevance.net/nishiki/Comp_II

The bike is really well put together and is in great shape. The Nervex type lugs are nice. I like the brooks saddle and the vintage Jim Blackburn rack as well. The Maillard hubs just spin and spin.






Last edited by vinnydelnegro; 02-14-09 at 12:15 PM.
vinnydelnegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 12:49 PM   #637
High Fist Shin
The Brave Descender
 
High Fist Shin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania
Bikes: Univega Viva Touring, Cannondale Six/13
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Panasonic road bike. Likely a Sport 500 model. Can't tell because all of the decals were removed.

The original square taper crankset was shot, the taper was rounded out on the left arm. I found a nice replacement Tourney crankset that was a good fit and popped it on. I was amazed how straight and flat the rings ran. The front derailleur was shot too. I installed a NOS Shimano unit I pulled from the parts bin and here she is:





__________________
In life there are no mistakes, only lessons. -Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 02-14-09 at 01:10 PM.
High Fist Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 12:52 PM   #638
j. hughes
formerly turdsandwich
 
j. hughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC; Huntington, WV
Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1984 Trek 520, 198? Ross Mt St Helens, 1980 Raleigh Super Gran Prix, 197? Raleigh Gran Prix
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vinny
^^as an ncsu alum, i love the user name.
j. hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 02:03 PM   #639
nine14six
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushlover2 View Post
Does nine14six relate to what you drive?
Only on weekends.
nine14six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 02:04 PM   #640
Bikedued
Senior Member
 
Bikedued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 10,630
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Just picked up a chrome 1977 Super Le Tour 12.2 frame!! Might be high at $100 for some folks here, but I got a few things on the side to sweeten the deal. I also have a complete original 12.2 in the back of the garage that's too small. Should be an easy swap. So, now I have both a big chrome 11.8, and now a 12.2. A nice set to have.,,,,BD

Anyone know about the availability of a decal set? I know the Voyageur ones are out there, but what about the 12.2's? They're similar, but altogether different in appearance.

Bikedued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 02:18 PM   #641
ozneddy
Senior Member
 
ozneddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow BD good score, I,m green !
ozneddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 02:50 PM   #642
infinityeye
Nut
 
infinityeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tallahassle, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BD You got the same PCS-1 stand as me, and it looks just a beat to s... as mine too! I had to replace my clamp pads after melting them this one time... I was drilling out a seat post, be careful those clamp pads will not withstand the heat of that. 11.88 shipped from amazon though! U get yours from a divorcee when her x-man wasn't around at a garage sale too?
infinityeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 05:44 PM   #643
Quixotegut
Senior Member
 
Quixotegut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norfolk, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never thought I'd be able to post in this one but I picked up this same model bike today, just not the one in the picture:



Miyata 112 for $80. Slight surface rusting in various places, but other than that it's very clean

Was on CL for $60 but I felt like I was ripping the guy off.

Haven't been able to take it for a real ride as the pedals are pretty crappy.

Anybody have any opinions about this bike?
Quixotegut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 05:49 PM   #644
BikeMonger
Member
 
BikeMonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: River Falls, WI
Bikes: This week or last week?
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BD that Chrome Schwinn is Beautiful! I have only seen one of those around up in my neck of the woods and that was a very long time ago. Nice find!
BikeMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 06:21 PM   #645
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotegut View Post
Never thought I'd be able to post in this one but I picked up this same model bike today, just not the one in the picture:



Miyata 112 for $80. Slight surface rusting in various places, but other than that it's very clean

Was on CL for $60 but I felt like I was ripping the guy off.

Haven't been able to take it for a real ride as the pedals are pretty crappy.

Anybody have any opinions about this bike?
Sweet bike. Passed a kid (unfortunately I was a passenger in a truck so I couldn't stop and talk to him) going to the local college next to where I work on a red and white one.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 06:22 PM   #646
vinnydelnegro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/1...r-special.html

Above is a link with more info on Miyatas. I can't seem to place yours but it looks like a 90s model. If it has a STP (splined triple butted) frame and the bike is in good shape, I'd say you got a pretty nice deal on it. On the other hand, I've never given more money to a seller for a bike. I presume if I saw a brand new Paramount for $20, I might give the person a heads up. However, I've never been in the situation before so who knows.

Last edited by vinnydelnegro; 02-14-09 at 06:25 PM.
vinnydelnegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 08:22 PM   #647
jnvw
Senior Member
 
jnvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lotus Eclair, Touring Model. Not sure what I'll do with it yet as it may be a tad too tall for me. 65cm, c to c. Any ideas on year?


jnvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 08:31 PM   #648
-holiday76
No one cares
 
-holiday76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yardley, Pa
Bikes:
Posts: 5,599
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvw View Post
Lotus Eclair, Touring Model. Not sure what I'll do with it yet as it may be a tad too tall for me. 65cm, c to c. Any ideas on year?


not sure of year, I'd guess early 80's, but if you decide to sell it please look me up!
__________________
I prefer emails to private messages - holiday76@gmail.com
Jack Taylor Super Tourist, Jack Taylor Super Tourer Tandem, Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, Px-10, Carlton Flyer,Fuji The Finest, Bianchi Squadra,Salsa Fargo, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Cetma Largo, Riv Betty Foy (wife's), Gitane 500A Mini Racer (sons).
-holiday76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 08:46 PM   #649
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommisar89 View Post
Aside from the obvious size problem it's got an issue with the orphaned Shimano old style Uniglide cassette hub with it's 13-23 cassette. Much too high geared to for Colorado and difficult to replace though if the frame fit me I guess I would go through the trouble.
If you just "happen" to be driving through the Dallas area, you can drop it off with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro View Post
Can anyone help me identify model, year and frame material? Serial number is kj 27447.
Search on Nishiki Serial Number in C&V, there's a thread that will help you. But without looking, I think kj is a 1980 model, a nice find.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 12:20 AM   #650
Gordo Grande
Senior Member
 
Gordo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Culver City, Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro View Post
Picked up this nice Nishiki yesterday. Can anyone help me identify model, year and frame material? Serial number is kj 27447. It looks like a Comp II but without the chrome stays: http://www.stevevance.net/nishiki/Comp_II

The bike is really well put together and is in great shape. The Nervex type lugs are nice. I like the brooks saddle and the vintage Jim Blackburn rack as well. The Maillard hubs just spin and spin.





My guess is that it's a late 70s or early 80s bike, judging by the forks and emblem. Hard to tell without more pictures.
Gordo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.