Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 358 of 428 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358359360368408 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,950 of 10679
  1. #8926
    Senior Member iptem3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tyjaman - I really hope you fix that one up and take lots of pictures. I would love to see what it looks like when complete. Crazy story too. Crazy

  2. #8927
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Catch of the year methinks...




  3. #8928
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine is a pre-eminent collector of Moultons and he decided to retire this one. He is a master mechanic and expert class builder in every respect so all I need to do is swap the stem and bars and fit a proper Brooks saddle... I believe he had adapted this Moulton for his son to ride, hence the shortened cockpit.

    I think that GB stem and rando bars I have sitting in my shop will look wonderful.

    Generator hub on custom built wheels...



    Shimano Inter7 hub... and new dual pivot brakes.



    And for the money... the frame has been powder coated and know all the important bits have been expertly serviced.



    You know I am going to build a custom and swappable rack for this that will accommodate panniers...

  4. #8929
    Senior Member TuckamoreDew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Catch of the year methinks...



    Oh, lordy! That looks like a bikeworks tag. How many seconds did that last in the shop before you scooped it up? Or did it go directly to you?

  5. #8930
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew View Post
    Oh, lordy! That looks like a bikeworks tag. How many seconds did that last in the shop before you scooped it up? Or did it go directly to you?
    I just happened to pop in this afternoon, recognized the bicycle right off, and then had to argue about paying more than what the tag said.

    Think that I will get the bars swapped tomorrow and take it back to what is was when I first test rode it and so it is a good fit... this was one of the bicycles that inspired me to build up my P20.

    Should serve as great about town bicycle as well as a capable light touring bicycle... and an awesome loaner for select people.


  6. #8931
    Senior Member TuckamoreDew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I just happened to pop in this afternoon, recognized the bicycle right off, and then had to argue about paying more than what the tag said.
    Congrats on great timing. Please tell me that wasn't at the North shop or I might cry a little.

  7. #8932
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew View Post
    Congrats on great timing. Please tell me that wasn't at the North shop or I might cry a little.
    You can cry a little.

    But now I have an extra Moulton that needs to be built up... if you know anyone who is interested.



    Just swapped the upright bars for my GB stem and rando bars... makes the bike look and fit right.

  8. #8933
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tuck... if it helps I have a good stock of whiskey on hand if you want to stop by and drown your sorrows.


  9. #8934
    Senior Member KOBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    It's the closest you can get to flying.
    Posts
    1,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seller I purchaced this from pulled it from the trash on trash day. The only thing wrong with it is a rear wheel that needs trued and a good cleaning. It is a Diamond Back Master TG. I don't know how these relate to the Centurion line up, but it is all 105 with True Temper steel.

    The delima is weather to clean it up and sell it (too small for me) or shift the parts to a better frame. I just don't think the Diamond Back name would command what it is worth.


  10. #8935
    people's champ marley mission's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    joisey
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like that bike - looks a 63cm-ish range?
    you must be big fella
    Kleins, Kleins...everywhere there's Kleins

  11. #8936
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KOBE View Post
    The seller I purchaced this from pulled it from the trash on trash day. The only thing wrong with it is a rear wheel that needs trued and a good cleaning. It is a Diamond Back Master TG. I don't know how these relate to the Centurion line up, but it is all 105 with True Temper steel.

    The delima is weather to clean it up and sell it (too small for me) or shift the parts to a better frame. I just don't think the Diamond Back name would command what it is worth.

    Great find. I say strip it and harvest the parts.

    Strip the decals right off if you can, polish up the frame nicely with scratch-X, take a good photo, and sell it on CL as a frameset. List it as a "nice lugged quality steel frame in Xcm with downtube shifter bosses. Great project frame for taller rider or convert to single speed" I bet you'll get a bunch of calls.

    Don't mention the names Diamondback or True-temper. They are not the droids buyers are looking for. You could probably get $50-75 for the frameset if you lived in or near a decent market once spring hits. Maybe even more. Who knows. It'd go fast in Chicago for upwards of $100. I'd rebuild the headset, chase/face the BB so it looked pristine, and push the fact this good-quality lugged vintage frame with down-tube shifter bosses is ready to build and professionally prepped. Many folks hear lugged, & down-tube bosses and immediately they are impressed that it must be a somewhat higher-end vintage frame. They aren't all that far off.

    Keep the rest of the parts for another build or sell piecemeal as well. If the wheelset is cleaned up, trued, rebuilt bearings you might get a decent price for them too. The groupset might sell together or a la carte. It depends on if you want to sell them or how much time and effort you want to spend on individual sales.

    Good find. But not a flipper whole IMHO. If you want to flip the whole bike at least pull the decals off. The Diamond Back name will to be your friend here for resale value.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  12. #8937
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking better in the light of day... just need to run cables and sort out the shifter, will be ordering a jtek bar end shifter for the IGH and have a few months to git er done.


  13. #8938
    Jack of all trades anixi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Pug Triathlon&PRN-10 Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KOBE View Post
    The seller I purchaced this from pulled it from the trash on trash day. The only thing wrong with it is a rear wheel that needs trued and a good cleaning. It is a Diamond Back Master TG. I don't know how these relate to the Centurion line up, but it is all 105 with True Temper steel.

    The delima is weather to clean it up and sell it (too small for me) or shift the parts to a better frame. I just don't think the Diamond Back name would command what it is worth.

    I sold mine in a bad market for over $200. These bikes can actually be marketed as nearly as good as a Centurion Ironman. I would keep it intact and ask for $250, assuming you fix all the issues (including bar tape!).
    Put me back on my bike! -- Tom Simpson

  14. #8939
    Senior Member Bikedued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,284
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesja View Post
    Great find. I say strip it and harvest the parts.

    Strip the decals right off if you can, polish up the frame nicely with scratch-X, take a good photo, and sell it on CL as a frameset. List it as a "nice lugged quality steel frame in Xcm with downtube shifter bosses. Great project frame for taller rider or convert to single speed" I bet you'll get a bunch of calls.

    Don't mention the names Diamondback or True-temper. They are not the droids buyers are looking for. You could probably get $50-75 for the frameset if you lived in or near a decent market once spring hits. Maybe even more. Who knows. It'd go fast in Chicago for upwards of $100. I'd rebuild the headset, chase/face the BB so it looked pristine, and push the fact this good-quality lugged vintage frame with down-tube shifter bosses is ready to build and professionally prepped. Many folks hear lugged, & down-tube bosses and immediately they are impressed that it must be a somewhat higher-end vintage frame. They aren't all that far off.

    Keep the rest of the parts for another build or sell piecemeal as well. If the wheelset is cleaned up, trued, rebuilt bearings you might get a decent price for them too. The groupset might sell together or a la carte. It depends on if you want to sell them or how much time and effort you want to spend on individual sales.

    Good find. But not a flipper whole IMHO. If you want to flip the whole bike at least pull the decals off. The Diamond Back name will to be your friend here for resale value.
    A whole lot of wrong info there, if you ask me. Mine was one of the most stable and one of the best handling bikes I've ever owned. You could ride it for blocks on end one handed, without so much as a twitch. When it came time to sell it, it brought $250 the very day I listed it. I probably should have asked more, honestly. The only drawback is that those bikes had spoke issues, especially on the rear wheels. My wheels from the Master I owned popped a spoke every 9-10 miles, but once I got them rebuilt I never had another issue.,,,,BD

    This one looked in similar condition to the OP's, when I picked it up for $125.. A little polish, and some new tires, and it got snapped up in a hurry. Really, they are outstanding bikes, worthy of the Centurion name on the left chainstay.


  15. #8940
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    18,870
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 New tires, bar tape, cables and housings, plus an overall cleaning, and its ready to market. Should do just fine in most markets.

    I usually strip the ones where there are significant frame issues/damage, a frankenbike, or have high end, valuable components. 105 does not get much respect in the market, I do better with groups like 105 and RX100 when they were attached to a bike/frame.



    Now if you have a nice vintage Trek frameset sitting around, sure, swap away.
    Last edited by wrk101; 02-03-13 at 08:04 PM.
    See some of my bikes on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes

    Or visit my finished bikes flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/billssteelbikes/

  16. #8941
    Senior Member KOBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    It's the closest you can get to flying.
    Posts
    1,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips guys. I probably will redo the tape, brakes,cables and re-grease. I just was not sure if everyone outside of C&V was aware that these are not the same DB's as today(I think that is why I got it cheap).

    I piked it up in a section of Philly that you would swear you were in Appalachia. It was down along the Schuylkill river just above Manayunk. Trailers and shacks, but a great view.

  17. #8942
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    3,057
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold a DB to a friend who had been riding a Raliegh Comp. It's his go-to bike now. i was impressed with it.

  18. #8943
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never did I say the DB was a bad bike. If it fits, ride it.

    My point is that most bikes are worth more as parts than as a complete bike. That's a fact of life. It's also a fact that the DB name has been tarnished in the eyes of the general buying public and most people looking for a quality bike on CL will see DB and think Huffy.

    Sorry but true.

    It's a nice bike but it doesn't fit.

    STRIP it and part it out makes the most economical sense. Too bad.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  19. #8944
    Senior Member Bikedued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,284
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth more not stripped. I still stand behind that. It's worth more than you think it is. Diamondback still has name recognition, and anyone who has a clue knows they're just a Centurion with an identity crisis.,,,,BD


    Now if you want to talk about a line of road bikes with almost no value, as a whole or as parts, lets talk Mangusta's....hint, they kill snakes for sport and dinner....

  20. #8945
    Senior Member KOBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    It's the closest you can get to flying.
    Posts
    1,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been one to strip and part out unless a frame is destroyed. Too much work boxing and shipping fom me. I would much rather sell complete bikes even if it means transferring over all the components and I may put these on a Klein Quantum that had a Dura Ace group. The Dura Ace group will get kicked up the line to an as yet not determined frame.

  21. #8946
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,407
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One more plus for the Diamondback... people who know bikes will recognize that they made some exceptional frames and pay accordingly.

  22. #8947
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    18,870
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    General buying public in my area recognizes Trek, Cannondale, and Peugeot. Once you get past those, they really don't recognize much. They will recognize 105 as a desirable group as well (or have a bike friend that tells them 105 is good).

    A lot of bikes at this level that I sell go to newb triathletes on a budget. The local tri shop in my town has race bikes starting at about $1200. That pushes buyers into the used market, looking for something in great shape cosmetically, light weight, and rides well. Their reference point on weight might be a heavy XMart MTB or similar. So a decent weight racing bike like your DB could look like an excellent buy.

  23. #8948
    Jack of all trades anixi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Pug Triathlon&PRN-10 Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesja View Post
    Never did I say the DB was a bad bike. If it fits, ride it.

    My point is that most bikes are worth more as parts than as a complete bike. That's a fact of life. It's also a fact that the DB name has been tarnished in the eyes of the general buying public and most people looking for a quality bike on CL will see DB and think Huffy.

    Sorry but true.

    It's a nice bike but it doesn't fit.

    STRIP it and part it out makes the most economical sense. Too bad.
    Sorry, have to ask: have you ever owned a DB Master? If not, you really have no grounds for an opinion, do you? I have, I can vouch for them.
    Put me back on my bike! -- Tom Simpson

  24. #8949
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a chance on the classic horrible CL photo. Picked up two interesting bikes for a mere $40 total.

    The first a 1985 GT Timberline. Definitely some rust on the chrome, but cleaned up it could make for a flashy townie ride.

    Also a Raleigh Mountain Tour Tamarack. Randomly 650b, super long wheelbase and slack angles. Original plan was to fix it up a touch and sell it but now I sort of want to steal the wheels for a future 700c-650b conversion project. Not sure how much I'd ride this - would be a fun cruiser, but I already have serious space problems...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #8950
    Senior Member Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phenomenal score on the GT, those bikes have great appeal to both vintage MTB and BMX aficionados.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •