Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump! (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/491454-your-catch-day-saved-dump.html)

bigbossman 12-15-08 10:11 PM

Just nabbed these on eBay for $26 - a NOS "modern" Veloce hubset. Don't know why - I don't need them. Just because they were cheap, shiny, and new, I guess......

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...DSCF0295-1.jpg

cudak888 12-15-08 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028011)
Just nabbed these on eBay for $26 - a NOS "modern" Veloce hubset. Don't know why - I don't need them. Just because they were cheap, shiny, and new, I guess......

Interested in another pair for Campag FW's?

-Kurt

bigbossman 12-15-08 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 8028031)
Interested in another pair for Campag FW's?

-Kurt

Naw - don't need any old stuff, and the garage is full enough already. Plus, I have a set of Record hubs laced to Wiennman rims hanging in the rafters, and they have been hanging there for a couple of years.

I have cut down to 3 classic bikes in my collection - a Mondia, a Merckx, and a pretty blue Nishiki International. Everything else has or will have new running gear from now on.

cudak888 12-15-08 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028066)
Naw - don't need any old stuff, and the garage is full enough already. Plus, I have a set of Record hubs laced to Wiennman rims hanging in the rafters, and they have been hanging there for a couple of years.

My mistake - let me clarify that statement: "Interested in another pair of Veloce hubs for Campag cassettes?" Go figure - I called a cassette a freewheel.

Tell me about that wheelset. Might need it in the future.

-Kurt

Bikedued 12-15-08 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028066)
Plus, I have a set of Record hubs laced to Weinmann rims hanging in the rafters, and they have been hanging there for a couple of years.

An interesting set of rims. Sounds like somethiing that would go well on my Grand Record? The missing link(s) so to speak.,,,,BD

bigbossman 12-15-08 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 8028128)
My mistake - let me clarify that statement: "Interested in another pair of Veloce hubs for Campag cassettes?" Go figure - I called a cassette a freewheel.

Tell me about that wheelset. Might need it in the future.

Let's see..... They came to me in a trade with a bunch of other stuff. They look original, and (IIRC) are 27" wheels. I'd have to drag them down to check, but they would probably need a rebuild and polishing.

Actually - I "think" they're Record. I'd have to pull them down and take a look or show you.

Man, another set of hubs? :) I wish I knew you had 'em before I bought these. Now I've got 3 sets laying about - 1 Veloce and 2 Chorus. If they are new and cheap, maybe.... :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikedued (Post 8028134)
An interesting set of rims. Sounds like somethiing that would go well on my Grand Record? The missing link(s) so to speak.,,,,BD

I thought it an odd combo, as well. But when I went to VeloSwap a few weeks ago, I saw a few others - most of which were on Paramounts. So, maybe it was a "standard" wheel in days gone by? You guys know more of the esoteric stuff than me - I just build 'em and flip 'em. :D

cudak888 12-15-08 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028182)
Man, another set of hubs? :) I wish I knew you had 'em before I bought these. Now I've got 3 sets laying about - 1 Veloce and 2 Chorus. If they are new and cheap, maybe.... :o

Trade is the word with me (at least, until I start running out of money for shipping the stuff :roflmao:). What do you have? Send me a PM.


Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028182)
I thought it an odd combo, as well. But when I went to VeloSwap a few weeks ago, I saw a few others - most of which were on Paramounts. So, maybe it was a "standard" wheel in days gone by? You guys know more of the esoteric stuff than me - I just build 'em and flip 'em. :D

Schwinn was the only one that I know of who were stupid enough to spec cheap Weinmann rims on Record hubs. I'll bet anything that they were originally on a Paramount. Do they have raised psudo-eyelets, by any chance?

-Kurt

bigbossman 12-15-08 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 8028210)
Trade is the word with me (at least, until I start running out of money for shipping the stuff :roflmao:). What do you have? Send me a PM.

Schwinn was the only one that I know of who were stupid enough to spec cheap Weinmann rims on Record hubs. I'll bet anything that they were originally on a Paramount. Do they have raised psudo-eyelets, by any chance?

-Kurt

I'll pull 'em down tomorrow when I get a chance, take a good look at them, and shoot you a pm. I do know they are high flange hubs. Right now it's about 40 degrees in the garage, and I ain't going out there. Brrrrrrrr.............. :D

Yeah - I originally thought some dumb-ass built them up that way for a goof, until I saw the Paramounts wearing them at VeloSwap. That was an "Eureka" moment - "of course.... Schwinn!!" Makes sense now.

cudak888 12-15-08 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossman (Post 8028299)
Yeah - I originally thought some dumb-ass built them up that way for a goof, until I saw the Paramounts wearing them at VeloSwap. That was an "Eureka" moment - "of course.... Schwinn!!" Makes sense now.

:lol: - Creative editing.

-Kurt

sk0tt 12-16-08 07:00 PM

These two folding bikes were found during a bulk rubbish pickup-

The red one is a Bridgestone Picnica, single speed with 14" wheels, for some reason it has a Raleigh badge on the front? The blue one is a VICEROY with 20" wheels, 3 speed Sturmey Archer marked "84-11". It says Viceroy cycles Poole made in Italy.


Scott.

bbattle 12-16-08 08:31 PM

Well, I've been dreaming of getting one of these frames and saw this one for sale. Since it was so close to Christmas, I threw out what I felt was a low offer and thought, well, it'd be nice but I probably won't get it but I don't really need it, 'specially right now.

Sure enough, somebody outbid me. No biggie, maybe next time.

Then, I get the second chance offer. I could've said no, but I didn't.

http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212...9---_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/b9ce_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/d922_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/d3f9_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/d099_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/c9f8_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/2c6f_3/web.jpg
http://gallery.me.com/bbattle/100212/312d_3/web.jpg

serial number Colnago OH 265 Anyone know what year this is?

54cm frame. It better fit me. :)

muffdoc 12-16-08 08:42 PM

I'm Jealous.

rotharpunc 12-16-08 08:59 PM

I don't know much about Colnago, but that makes me want on badly

PlatyPius 12-16-08 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbattle (Post 8033389)
Well, I've been dreaming of getting one of these frames and saw this one for sale. Since it was so close to Christmas, I threw out what I felt was a low offer and thought, well, it'd be nice but I probably won't get it but I don't really need it, 'specially right now.

Sure enough, somebody outbid me. No biggie, maybe next time.

Then, I get the second chance offer. I could've said no, but I didn't.
...
serial number Colnago OH 265 Anyone know what year this is?

54cm frame. It better fit me. :)

I hate you. My size, too. I'm gonna call Ernesto and have him beat you up.

Ivandarken 12-16-08 09:53 PM

oooh, see that Dana three speed gearbox? I need the little sprocket that is on that guy. Wanna sell?

cb400bill 12-16-08 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivandarken (Post 8033787)
oooh, see that Dana three speed gearbox? I need the little sprocket that is on that guy. Wanna sell?

???

Chris_in_Miami 12-16-08 10:28 PM

I found this Schwinn Peloton at a thrift store today (sorry for the lousy cellphone pic.)

http://www.boomspeed.com/artoflaw/incoming/thrift01.jpg

Would be a no-brainer except for the condition - it's been neglected and most of the components have some oxidation. To make matters worse, the nice Superbe Pro derailleurs have been replaced with mismatched Campy, and the wheels are mismatched replacement junk. The frame is pretty clean and is chromed underneath the paint, I didn't see any rust. Really light even with a horrible clamp-on aero bar. Also, it's too tall for me and the $100 price is pretty high by thrift store standards...

Does it sound like I'm trying desperately to justify passing it up? :innocent:

In the background is a dull-in-comparison Technium PRE for the same price.

USAZorro 12-16-08 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbattle (Post 8033389)
... Anyone know what year this is?

...

It's still 2008 for a little over 2 weeks. :innocent:

Beauty there. I'm a teensy bit jealous.

USAZorro 12-16-08 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami (Post 8033992)
... Also, it's too tall for me ...

There's your valid reason. The other reasons were are all pretty weak. :o

sonatageek 12-17-08 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami (Post 8033992)
I found this Schwinn Peloton at a thrift store today (sorry for the lousy cellphone pic.)

http://www.boomspeed.com/artoflaw/incoming/thrift01.jpg

Would be a no-brainer except for the condition - it's been neglected and most of the components have some oxidation. To make matters worse, the nice Superbe Pro derailleurs have been replaced with mismatched Campy, and the wheels are mismatched replacement junk. The frame is pretty clean and is chromed underneath the paint, I didn't see any rust. Really light even with a horrible clamp-on aero bar. Also, it's too tall for me and the $100 price is pretty high by thrift store standards...

Does it sound like I'm trying desperately to justify passing it up? :innocent:

In the background is a dull-in-comparison Technium PRE for the same price.

Those are pretty high prices for a thrift store.

cudak888 12-17-08 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonatageek (Post 8035000)
Those are pretty high prices for a thrift store.

Chris, is that from the Salvation Army racket on Bird Road?

-Kurt

Glennfordx4 12-17-08 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivandarken (Post 8033787)
oooh, see that Dana three speed gearbox? I need the little sprocket that is on that guy. Wanna sell?

I think your talking to me about this, if so PM me with a offer.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...keparts014.jpg

gr23932 12-17-08 10:47 AM

Picked this Casati up yesterday for........(It's best that I don't say how much. Don't want you guys hating me.).:D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/...9bdee54a_b.jpg

cudak888 12-17-08 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr23932 (Post 8036224)
Picked this Casati up yesterday for........(It's best that I don't say how much. Don't want you guys hating me.).:D

I already do, so what's the difference? :p

P.S.: Did you get my latest PM?

-Kurt

Chris_in_Miami 12-17-08 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 8035569)
Chris, is that from the Salvation Army racket on Bird Road?

-Kurt

No, it's at a shop in Broward, they're usually overpriced on bikes but inconsistant. pm me if want more details.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.