Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,279
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anybody use pedal washers

    They are supposed to prevent fretting of the crank by the pedal shoulders. They seem like a good idea and I always wanted to get some, but the only ones I could find are the TAs on the Harris Cyclery site and they want $4.95 for a pair.

    I found some on eBay for $2.75 a pair and $.62 shipping. I bought enough for all of my bikes and shipping was still $.62. They're stainless steel, so they won't rust like the TAs do. I installed a set today and they're a perfect fit. They really only show at the flats in the spindle. They'll protect the resale value of a new crank and hide the ugly marks on a used one. They fit French pedals, too.

    The seller is ventoux. If you want some you better hurry. He only has two sets left.

  2. #2
    BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE! rotharpunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    54914
    Posts
    1,797
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good find, looks like he has a lot more than 2 left though

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bruce Enns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velo Orange also sells them.
    Brewster
    1981 Miyata 1000, 1984 Bridgestone 500, 1985 Trek 400

  4. #4
    Ridin dirty riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    My Bikes
    see sig
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F up the Q?
    bikes: r700, 1200, topcross, elite12, duosport

  5. #5
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,595
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most LBS' will have them. Almost every new crank today requires them except for shimano.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  6. #6
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,595
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    Most LBS' will have them. Almost every new crank today requires them except for shimano.
    I actually have an NOS set of campagnolo ones.. probably C-record era.
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  7. #7
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,279
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell if the Velo Orange washers are stainless. It makes a big difference. I'm sure Chris won't ship them for $.62.

    No, they don't F up the Q. They are very thin.

    I probably go to the dentist more often than I go to bike shops.
    Last edited by Grand Bois; 03-03-09 at 06:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Uff Da!
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    The seller is ventoux. If you want some you better hurry. He only has two sets left.
    I don't think there is a problem with supply.
    I've been buying them from him for years. I assume he is having them made somewhere.
    I think they're great.

  9. #9
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,641
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop View Post
    They are supposed to prevent fretting of the crank by the pedal shoulders. They seem like a good idea and I always wanted to get some, but the only ones I could find are the TAs on the Harris Cyclery site and they want $4.95 for a pair.

    I found some on eBay for $2.75 a pair and $.62 shipping. I bought enough for all of my bikes and shipping was still $.62. They're stainless steel, so they won't rust like the TAs do. I installed a set today and they're a perfect fit. They really only show at the flats in the spindle. They'll protect the resale value of a new crank and hide the ugly marks on a used one. They fit French pedals, too.

    The seller is ventoux. If you want some you better hurry. He only has two sets left.
    You can get all you want here.


  10. #10
    Senior Member due ruote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,303
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    You can get all you want here.

    The description doesn't say anything about them being stainless, so my guess is they're not.

  11. #11
    Senior Member SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, couldn't I get something like that at Ace Hardware?

  12. #12
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,641
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonamici View Post
    The description doesn't say anything about them being stainless, so my guess is they're not.
    I have a bag right here -- they are stainless.

    FWIW, I also have TA washers installed on a couple bikes. They're not stainless (black oxide finish) but I haven't had a problem with them in 30 years of use.
    Last edited by JohnDThompson; 03-03-09 at 10:10 AM.

  13. #13
    Ridin dirty riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    My Bikes
    see sig
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just joshing about the Q. I've never seen these, whats the OD and thickness, anybody mic them out?
    bikes: r700, 1200, topcross, elite12, duosport

  14. #14
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,641
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon View Post
    Uh, couldn't I get something like that at Ace Hardware?
    Most hardware store washers with a large enough bore to accept a pedal axle are much, much wider than these.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •