Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-09, 06:12 PM   #1
robatsu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kansai
Bikes:
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Info on Maillard Hubs Wanted

I have this really gorgeous NIB set of Maillard 700 hubs. I'm trying to find some information on these, they have one or two features I haven't seen on others, but I figure someone here will set me straight. FWIW, these are, bar none including campy, the most beautifully finished hubs I've ever owned. That is one reason why they are still new, I haven't been able to bring myself to use them.

The unusual, to me at least, features are that they are sealed bearings and the logo on the hub - it isn't the usual decal. I've posted pictures, any Maillard 700 experts who have any info about them - year of manufacture, where in the quality lineup, etc, would be much appreciated.

They are British threaded.













robatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:30 PM   #2
kranz
Senior Member
 
kranz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Silver Comet Trail
Bikes:
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best write-up I've seen on Maillard hubs is on the Yellow Jersey bike shop site. It can be found here

Maillard Hubs
kranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:55 PM   #3
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 16,820
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I've never seen those before. They are beautiful! I have the older Maillard 700's on my PX10. They're nice , but not as nice as those. I just bought a set of pedals that have the same logo as your hubs.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 07:06 PM   #4
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears
 
Charles Wahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
They're late, that's why no decals. Note that the decals are shown on the hubs depicted on the box. Though they say "double sealey" on the box, they look like they have cartridge bearings. Do they?
Charles Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 07:18 PM   #5
robatsu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kansai
Bikes:
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl View Post
They're late, that's why no decals. Note that the decals are shown on the hubs depicted on the box. Though they say "double sealey" on the box, they look like they have cartridge bearings. Do they?
That is something I've been wondering about. There are no cones, just locknuts and then spacers that have a flange that extends outward to the hub. I think you may be able to see it in the picture of the rear hub freewheel side. This flange turns with the axle.

I haven't even been able to bring myself to take them apart to get to the bottom of this.
robatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 08:11 PM   #6
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robatsu View Post
I have this really gorgeous NIB set of Maillard 700 hubs. I'm trying to find some information on these, they have one or two features I haven't seen on others, but I figure someone here will set me straight. FWIW, these are, bar none including campy, the most beautifully finished hubs I've ever owned. That is one reason why they are still new, I haven't been able to bring myself to use them.

The unusual, to me at least, features are that they are sealed bearings and the logo on the hub - it isn't the usual decal. I've posted pictures, any Maillard 700 experts who have any info about them - year of manufacture, where in the quality lineup, etc, would be much appreciated.

They are British threaded.
These were the top-of-the-line hubs; as good as anything else out there in both appearance and performance. The one drawback is that parts for them are virtually impossible to find these days, so treat them with care. I'm not sure on the precise date these may have been made, but they look like mid-80s.

There's a good chance that some Japanese collector is dying to get his hands on a set of these for his showcase, should you ever decide to sell them.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 08:26 PM   #7
robatsu
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kansai
Bikes:
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post

There's a good chance that some Japanese collector is dying to get his hands on a set of these for his showcase, should you ever decide to sell them.
I gotta admit that is another reason I haven't used these and that selling them is something I'm debating, which is one reason I'm asking for info, make an informed decision. Some time after I bought them and found few similar examples on the internet tubes, I figured there probably is someone who wants to encase them in amber. I bought them because I thought they looked better than the more common decalled ones because, in addition to the unbelievable finish (my pics do not do justice) the quick release adjusting nut is chromed, not the black plastic that is so common.

In the meantime, they sit on a window sill where I can look at them sometimes when I work, so I can sorta understand that Japanese guy.
robatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.