Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/530402-wacky-world-craigslist-ebay-ads.html)

thenomad 05-30-09 01:01 PM

wow, that's all I have to say.
Go grabbing bikes from folks because "it just looked like it didn't belong to him". He didn't give up "much" of a fight. WHat a winner. He deserves a beatdown.

thenomad 05-30-09 01:05 PM

How about this Masi for $1200, not even refurbished with terrible pictures included for free.

Sounds like a bargain
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/1196614164.html

abarth 05-30-09 04:02 PM

Next time when I ride in Atlanta area, I will have to remember to pack some heat. And people wonder why I ride with my Desert Eagle in my tights.:D

cycleheimer 05-30-09 06:15 PM

I have recently seen sweet $10 Bottechias and Fujis, and a $25 Nishiki come and go off Craig's List before I could send off a reply. It is amazing. The $125 department store bikes, however, linger for days, get reposted, linger, get reposted....

Marrock 05-30-09 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleheimer (Post 9012026)
I have recently seen sweet $10 Bottechias and Fujis, and a $25 Nishiki come and go off Craig's List before I could send off a reply. It is amazing. The $125 department store bikes, however, linger for days, get reposted, linger, get reposted....

Because We are legion... and We are always watching.

StephenH 05-30-09 10:10 PM

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/1197368023.html
Title: Racing bicycles! (two) - $50 (Arlington)
Entire text of ad: "These were only used a couple of times so they are pretty much brand new! Both are red."
No picture.

So all you silly people spending thousands on racing bikes can just buy these for $50 and be done with it.

HSean 05-31-09 05:30 AM

I stumbled apon this ad of a lad looking for old bicycles to restore for a project. however would you really call it restoring?

Said ad.

I need a few old bikes to restore. They cannot have any cables. I need men's size models with a coaster brake, single speed. I will pick them up at your convenience. The bike needs to be worth restoring so anything badly rusted, broken chains,missing spokes, bent frames, etc. I don't need. Thanks for your consideration.

Thats what they said, Wheres the fun in restoring? or just out there to make a quick buck.

Picchio Special 05-31-09 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSean (Post 9013766)
I stumbled apon this ad of a lad looking for old bicycles to restore for a project. however would you really call it restoring?

Said ad.

I need a few old bikes to restore. They cannot have any cables. I need men's size models with a coaster brake, single speed. I will pick them up at your convenience. The bike needs to be worth restoring so anything badly rusted, broken chains,missing spokes, bent frames, etc. I don't need. Thanks for your consideration.

Thats what they said, Wheres the fun in restoring? or just out there to make a quick buck.

Or just part of some obscure sect that rejects cables. And replacement chains.

Little Darwin 05-31-09 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picchio Special (Post 9013813)
Or just part of some obscure sect that rejects cables. And replacement chains.

Or someone who equates restoration with polishing...

BOBSONATOR 05-31-09 12:02 PM

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1197636457.html

lulz

if you see this and don't laugh, you are not human

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1197757148.html

same dude

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1197762085.html

Rammer 05-31-09 12:18 PM

Was watching for a few days this mundane hybrid on eBay. It was below $15 (+ ~$45 s/h) with only a few hours left until the PowerSeller conveniently canceled the auction with "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or reserve amount." Obviously an honest mistake, right?

Picchio Special 05-31-09 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammer (Post 9015019)
Was watching for a few days this mundane hybrid on eBay. It was below $15 (+ ~$45 s/h) with only a few hours left until the PowerSeller conveniently canceled the auction with "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or reserve amount." Obviously an honest mistake, right?

Well, it was an error. As in, "I erred in setting my opening bid price so low." Kind of puts the "power" back into PowerSeller, doesn't it?

cycleheimer 05-31-09 01:36 PM





NY CL Posting 5/31/09

the word 'vintage'

Reply to:sale-jeqxn-1198036683@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-31, 12:01PM EDT



....is used here the way delis use the word 'gourmet.' The prices are higher but the food is crap.


http://newyork.seriouseats.com/image...rmet_deli_.jpg


Rabid Koala 05-31-09 07:22 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

Schwinn Paramount

1973 Road Bike with

Campagnolo Nuevo Record Groupo

Holy Cow!!! You will not beleive this bike. The condition of this bike and parts is INCREDIBLE!!

It was bought in 1973 by my neighbor. He road it a handful of times in his youth. Then packed it away in storage and it sat for over 35 years, luckily he completely wrapped it in plastic and ducked taped it. This sealed the bike from dust, rust and corrusion. I told my neighbor there are bike collectors that would love to have this MINT CLASSIC. I convinced him to let me sell it. This bike should be purchased for a show room or museum. If you ride it you are a fool.... really!! I have friends that ride bikes that are not in as good of condition as this showroom bike.

Ummm hmmm? A fool if you ride it? Rather, a fool if you BUY it at that price! Those Maillard hubs look a lot newer than the bike...

ZeRinger 05-31-09 07:35 PM

Panasonic 10 Speed - $950 (San Gabriel)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...195561136.html

$950 for that? Really? ouch

sonatageek 05-31-09 07:49 PM

Okay, what is missing from this Raleigh R600 racing bike.....that makes it worth a HECK of lot less than the asking price......
http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/1173869410.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43p63...05a2d31c08.jpg

Marrock 05-31-09 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonatageek (Post 9016927)
Okay, what is missing from this Raleigh R600 racing bike.....that makes it worth a HECK of lot less than the asking price......
http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/1173869410.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43p63...05a2d31c08.jpg

Sense?

cudak888 05-31-09 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Koala (Post 9016774)
Ummm hmmm? A fool if you ride it? Rather, a fool if you BUY it at that price! Those Maillard hubs look a lot newer than the bike...

Note that the catalog photo is directly linked to Bob Hufford's site.

-Kurt

krems81 05-31-09 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 9013051)
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/1197368023.html
Title: Racing bicycles! (two) - $50 (Arlington)
Entire text of ad: "These were only used a couple of times so they are pretty much brand new! Both are red."
No picture.

So all you silly people spending thousands on racing bikes can just buy these for $50 and be done with it.

Those the are ads you call and ask what the sticker on the seat tube says. "Hold on a sec. Let me look... There's a picture of a dove, and it says Columbus" SOLD!

krems81 05-31-09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonatageek (Post 9016927)
Okay, what is missing from this Raleigh R600 racing bike.....that makes it worth a HECK of lot less than the asking price......
http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/1173869410.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3m43p63...05a2d31c08.jpg

Somebody swapped STIs (were there ever?) for old suicide levers and stem shifters? :roflmao2:

cudak888 05-31-09 08:14 PM

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/1197508705.html

Quote:

Youth Bicyle 20" For Sale [MUST GO TO HIGHEST OFFER NO MATTER WHAT] - $40 (DEERFIELD BEACH)
Huh?

-Kurt

Blue Order 05-31-09 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krems81 (Post 9017027)
Somebody swapped STIs (were there ever?) for old suicide levers and stem shifters? :roflmao2:

And is using some misdirection ("don't want downtube shifters?") to make that a selling point. :rolleyes:

Blue Order 05-31-09 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 9017074)

Poorly written, but just $40, price not firm, they'll sell to first offer.

krems81 05-31-09 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Order (Post 9017508)
And is using some misdirection ("don't want downtube shifters?") to make that a selling point. :rolleyes:

"Do you want a newer, modern bike but don't like downtube shifters?"

so the pitch is, make them think newer bikes have downtube shifters, and then offer an alternative without hinting at door 1: the original STIs

krems81 05-31-09 09:44 PM

This was listed at $150 two hours ago:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/1198686348.html


http://images.craigslist.org/3k13o23...e16ae616ee.jpg

"Sweet Centurion Ironman Expert Dave Scott road bike Pink and Yellow - $300 (West Chicago)
...For some reason the price of 300.00 is not reflected in the actual add. It says 150.00. The price of the bike is 300.00"


Craigslist doesn't put $150 unless you typed it yourself!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 PM.