Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/530402-wacky-world-craigslist-ebay-ads.html)

Tigerprawn 05-31-09 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krems81 (Post 9017605)
This was listed at $150 two hours ago:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/1198686348.html


http://images.craigslist.org/3k13o23...e16ae616ee.jpg

"Sweet Centurion Ironman Expert Dave Scott road bike Pink and Yellow - $300 (West Chicago)
...For some reason the price of 300.00 is not reflected in the actual add. It says 150.00. The price of the bike is 300.00"


Craigslist doesn't put $150 unless you typed it yourself!

I'm not even going to try and lie... I want that badly!

Blue Order 05-31-09 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krems81 (Post 9017559)
"Do you want a newer, modern bike but don't like downtube shifters?"

so the pitch is, make them think newer bikes have downtube shifters, and then offer an alternative without hinting at door 1: the original STIs

Yep. :notamused:


:lol:

Blue Order 05-31-09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krems81 (Post 9017605)
This was listed at $150 two hours ago:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/1198686348.html


http://images.craigslist.org/3k13o23...e16ae616ee.jpg

"Sweet Centurion Ironman Expert Dave Scott road bike Pink and Yellow - $300 (West Chicago)
...For some reason the price of 300.00 is not reflected in the actual add. It says 150.00. The price of the bike is 300.00"


Craigslist doesn't put $150 unless you typed it yourself!

Not only that, but you can always go in and edit the ad, as the seller did here...Or delete and start over, etc.

cycleheimer 06-01-09 07:10 AM

a) Where's Vornado? b) You do know that's a cheap0 3-speed department store bike with racing saddle & drop bars? c) Do you drive a classic Yugo? Bet he gets the $170! ;)


http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/1197926095.html

MURRAY BIKE~Model Trail Stair~MENS~21" Frame~NICE~Brown~ - $170 (BROOKLYN**FREE DELIVERY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to:sale-nqqq2-1197926095@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-31, 10:39AM EDT



GOOD CONDITION / MENS ROAD BIKE STYLE CRUISER / FULLY TUNED / READY TO RIDE / MUST SEE! 3 speed / 21 inch frame. MADE IN VORNADO! PLEASE CALL DON @ xxx-xxx-xxxx ANYTIME OR E-MAIL YOUR NUMBER! I can deliver to you for free WITH A PURCHASE! CHECK OUT MY OTHER ADS UNDER DonnsAlbums!

yepyep 06-01-09 10:55 AM

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/1199609647.html

Could there be anything more wrong with that build?

cudak888 06-01-09 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep (Post 9020214)
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/1199609647.html

Could there be anything more wrong with that build?

I have a good mind to ask the seller to come clean the upchucked lunch off my desk.

As if that build was not insulting enough to that chrome Paramount - simply by virtue of that stem and green accents - I draw a firm line at drilled-out front forks.

How much longer will it take before people understand that they can swap the caliper studs with Tektro 800a's before they take power tools to a frame?

-Kurt

PlatyPius 06-01-09 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep (Post 9020214)
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/1199609647.html

Could there be anything more wrong with that build?

I don't know, I kinda like it.

I'm selling a similarly "remuddled" Stella on eBay right now.

I would have, however, properly routed the shifter cables part-way under the bar tape, though....
and not used such an obnoxiously tall stem.

sonatageek 06-01-09 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krems81 (Post 9017559)
"Do you want a newer, modern bike but don't like downtube shifters?"

so the pitch is, make them think newer bikes have downtube shifters, and then offer an alternative without hinting at door 1: the original STIs

Yes, why have those pesky and expensive STI shifters that the bike came with when you can have 'vintage' low end bike boom brakes and shifters. We can make that Lexus drive just like that 1975 Ford Granada you parents had when you were a kid too. Ask about our special 'upgrade' as downgrade package.

TheDL 06-01-09 11:30 AM

Is this for real? $1000?! For a reproduction?
http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/bik/1199777428.html

johnknappcc 06-01-09 03:08 PM

I Laughed Crazy At This One:

LOST in drunken stupor! Teal Schwinn Collegiate Male 58cm 10 speed - $100 (Between River North and Greektown)

Reply to:sale-v6cqq-1200182057@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-01, 3:23PM CDT


Realized I was too drunk to ride my Teal Schwinn Collegiate Male 58cm 10 speed after I fell off it at a stop light. Just tipped right over. Good thing I was wearing a helmet. Being responsible, I walked it the rest of the way, but I made it home and the bike didn't. I may have locked it up by Lyric Opera house or may not have locked it up at all. Best guess is I leaned it up against our building and simply walked inside. I don't remember much.

The prettiest and toughest woman I know and future wife bought it for me and I would like to replace it so she will quit looking at me that funny way she does do when something disappoints her. Willing to buy original bike back if you were the lucky one to find it or purchase a new one. Prefer the teal color and a Schwinn Collegiate model, since it is part of a his/hers pair and we look pretty damn cute when we ride together.



  • Location: Between River North and Greektown
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests





PostingID: 1200182057

Rabid Koala 06-01-09 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 9020397)
I have a good mind to ask the seller to come clean the upchucked lunch off my desk.

As if that build was not insulting enough to that chrome Paramount - simply by virtue of that stem and green accents - I draw a firm line at drilled-out front forks.

How much longer will it take before people understand that they can swap the caliper studs with Tektro 800a's before they take power tools to a frame?

-Kurt

Unlike Kurt, I didn't hurl on my keyboard, but I have lost my appetite and will likely skip dinner tonight...

thenomad 06-01-09 05:24 PM

I mean seriously, used water bottles? Come on people, if you don't have anything to sell just stay off the computer!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/1200447050.html

cudak888 06-01-09 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenomad (Post 9023176)
I mean seriously, used water bottles?

Corrected their ad:

Quote:

Less than a year old judging by the cobwebs and only used a handful of times every 15 minutes. Washed with spit and ready for use as latrines. Will fit road or mountain cages if you dare. Graphics can be removed with industrial-strength paint stripper. Price is $10 for all three with a free bike included. Thanks for nothing.
-Kurt

noglider 06-01-09 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenomad (Post 9023176)
I mean seriously, used water bottles? Come on people, if you don't have anything to sell just stay off the computer!


What next? Used underwear?

krems81 06-01-09 08:11 PM

BLOND GONE NUTS GARAGE SALE (NILES)

SIX BIKES FOR SALE JUNE 5 AND 6 AT NORTH NEVA NILES IL BY TOUHY AND HARLEM BEHIND NILES POLICE DEPT

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1200686717.html

HSean 06-01-09 09:00 PM

You know, I don't know if I should be mad or be laughing, Oh yes, lets spray paint the bicycle green and try the high valued "Army" thing Yeah you just decreased that nice old bicycles value, i've got the same one in mint condition all 100% for 180$ mines like a new bicycle, if he would of cleaned it he would of maybe got his asking price, here heres the ad.


Said ad below.

VINTAGE 3-SPEED CRUISER ARMY GREEN 65$

Description VINTAGE 3-SPEED CRUISER
3-SPEEDS IN REAR WHEEL HOUSING WITH SIMPLE HAND GRIP SELECTOR. SIMPLY PEDDLE BACK AND MOVE HAND GRIP SECTOR TO GEAR DESIRED.
FRONT AND REAR FENDERS
FRONT AND REAR BREAKS
SPRING LOADED SEAT
BAGGAGE RACK
VERY NICE VINTAGE BIKE PRACTICAL,RELIABLE,AFFORDABLE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...OW89829064.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...9829062_tn.jpg


Even the reflecters are painted green lol and eveything els but wheels and seat and grips

krems81 06-01-09 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenomad (Post 9023176)
I mean seriously, used water bottles? Come on people, if you don't have anything to sell just stay off the computer!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/1200447050.html

Geez, the description just makes me think of backwash. Everything he says that's supposed to make it sound good just makes me think of other people's spit even more. :roflmao2:

thenomad 06-02-09 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 9024175)
What next? Used underwear?

Essentially, yes. Used cycling shorts FTL.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1197333795.html

leftthread 06-02-09 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 9020397)
I have a good mind to ask the seller to come clean the upchucked lunch off my desk.
-Kurt

It was the stem, wasn't it?

cudak888 06-02-09 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftthread (Post 9026518)
It was the stem, wasn't it?

That and the conversion to the dirtiest, black 700C's I've seen in active service. It looks like he rode through a mud pit and let the spots fester over the tires before he took that shot.

-Kurt

Poguemahone 06-02-09 11:07 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/72-JEUNET-Vintag...3%3A2|294%3A50

He's back, with a fresh pile of horse manure and a "price slashed" All of 25$.

For those too lazy to read through this guys hyperbole, here's a new hi-lite (low-lite):

"The Jeunet bikes were a low-volume, higher-quality alternative to lower-end, more common Peugeots and Raleighs. This particular bike, in my opinion, was probably an upper-end Jeunet. I say this because, in my research, I've read up on their history - (scanty at best), and viewed a few surviving catalogs from the early 1970's. None of the models I saw, had 100% chrome front forks. This is the SECOND vintage Jeunet I have ever seen, with a full chrome front fork, suggesting this is a deluxe model, within an already up-scale model range of its day."

Er... no. I've seen plenty of them with the fully chromed fork, and they were all UO8 equivalents with a bit more bling, plus a huge seam on the inside of the head tube. Low-end.

edit: I couldn't take it any more and sent him an email, which I rarely do.

noglider 06-02-09 11:22 AM

That's hilarious. He included the original ad which said the prices started at $99, and he's showing the $99 model. And he's asking $325. Yes, it's in good condition, but it's still a cheap bike. Well, good luck to him.

Poguemahone 06-02-09 11:49 AM

But wait, I've found even more from the same guy, to wit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-French-Mad...3%3A2|294%3A50

With such unresearched statements as:
""MOTOBECANE/WEINMANN was/is the maker of the world's finest bicycling products for bicycle road racing - (strada) ....track racing - (pista/keirin/fixie/fixed/NJS/single speed) ….cyclocross ....triathlon cycle racing and time trial cycling. These fine components have become legendary with countless cyclist’s victories by riders such as Fignon and Lemond in the Tour de France – Giro d’Italia (Tour of Italy) - Vuelta (Tour of Spain) - Olympics as well as the Ironman triathlon.""

Err... Wasn't Lemond on a Gitane? I don't think he ever rode Motos, and I like motos.

And:

"The Motobecane bikes were an excellent high-quality alternative to lower-end, more commonplace Peugeots and Raleighs. This particular bike with the "2040" thin-wall, high-tensile steel partly lugged frame, was a mid-level model, designed for the rider who wanted a bit better responsiveness and lighter handling - a bike more suitable for serious long-distance riding, such as Le Tour De France."

I'd like to meet the TDF rider hauling Hi-ten. hate to think what they might do on, oh, I dunno, 531.

And the best:

"as people have started to react to the lower-quality of the $500+ bikes coming out of China, whose food exports keep failing USDA inspections and whose Residential Drywall is so toxic, EPA is wondering if they're going to have to tear down the homes rebuilt since Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans!!!"


I guess people are breaking out in hives when they mount their Magnas, or Bianchis, or anything else made in China. Why, those bikes are as toxic as Chinese drywall!

This is the best over-hyperbole since the heyday of Berg's Used Bicycles on the RVA craigslist.

noglider 06-02-09 11:55 AM

Right you are. Maybe his day job is as a salesman. He can really talk it up and pile it on.

Poguemahone 06-02-09 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poguemahone (Post 9027560)
http://cgi.ebay.com/72-JEUNET-Vintag...3%3A2|294%3A50

He's back, with a fresh pile of horse manure and a "price slashed" All of 25$.

For those too lazy to read through this guys hyperbole, here's a new hi-lite (low-lite):

"The Jeunet bikes were a low-volume, higher-quality alternative to lower-end, more common Peugeots and Raleighs. This particular bike, in my opinion, was probably an upper-end Jeunet. I say this because, in my research, I've read up on their history - (scanty at best), and viewed a few surviving catalogs from the early 1970's. None of the models I saw, had 100% chrome front forks. This is the SECOND vintage Jeunet I have ever seen, with a full chrome front fork, suggesting this is a deluxe model, within an already up-scale model range of its day."

Er... no. I've seen plenty of them with the fully chromed fork, and they were all UO8 equivalents with a bit more bling, plus a huge seam on the inside of the head tube. Low-end.

edit: I couldn't take it any more and sent him an email, which I rarely do.

And here's the reply:



"Mr. Hot Shot Self-Appointed Expert - You are one monumentally sanctimonious (expletive deleted).

The already-published, acknowledged experts on the boom years, have documented how Jeunet WAS always a nice cut above most else.

Your list of original equipment is also inaccurate. Go puke your negativity somewhere it's wanted, definitely not here.


- wizzbangg"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.