Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    School me on "Raleigh Technium"

    Yesterday I picked one up. I think it is missing some of its original bits. 27 inch wheels with I believe a Suntour freehub (haven't pull the wheels off yet) Shimano Brakes, Shimano light action L523 RD, FZ206 FD that date to 86. It has a set of 105 SG cranks that look to date 91 and 105 shifters. Cinelli stem and two story bars (they wrap back around but I don't have a clear picture.

    Rides nice but it mystifies me. Seems to be more of a cyclocross bike. It is a 60cm frame but the fool thing has a very high BB. It has a 34 inch stand over with 170mm cranks. My t700 is a 63cm and has a 35 inch stand over.

    Fill me in or point me at some sites that will tell me what it should have so I can sort it out as to what is original to the bike.









    Thanks
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  2. #2
    King of the molehills bcoppola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Detroit 'burbs, east side.
    My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you know the basic facts: Techniums were Raleigh's early aluminum bikes; the tubes being bonded into lugs with an industrial epoxy. I think the seatstays were steel.

    Looks like your seatstays were sprayed red by a previous owner, judging from the overspray on the brake shoe.

    The exact model name or number is probably under that black paint or wrapping on the top tube. If you can uncover it it'll tell you (and any Technium experts - not me!) more.

    Somewhere Out There on the Interwebs there's a Raleigh history site, but I don't have it bookmarked. I believe it went into Techniums in a little more detail.

    That's all I got.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

  3. #3
    Mixitup
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Post of Mine.
    I have an 86 and this was the lit I had on it. The two pocs were scanned out of order but you can figure it out

    Epoxy Bonding
    Blending Bikes

  4. #4
    Senior Member OldRoadman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Menomonee Falls, Wi.
    My Bikes
    82 Trek 613 Sport Touring, 84 Lotus Classique
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Frame Problem

    Had one a short time!. Frame separated where the seatstay joins the chainstay. Could not find any bike shop that would fix it. Nice riding bike for aluminum.

    Bill

  5. #5
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    I assume you know the basic facts: Techniums were Raleigh's early aluminum bikes; the tubes being bonded into lugs with an industrial epoxy. I think the seatstays were steel.

    Looks like your seatstays were sprayed red by a previous owner, judging from the overspray on the brake shoe.

    The exact model name or number is probably under that black paint or wrapping on the top tube. If you can uncover it it'll tell you (and any Technium experts - not me!) more.

    Somewhere Out There on the Interwebs there's a Raleigh history site, but I don't have it bookmarked. I believe it went into Techniums in a little more detail.

    That's all I got.
    Unfortunately that is paint on the top tube. So no reading the model. Yes somebody hit the seat stay with paint. Some people should be beat.

    I'll see if I can find that site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blender View Post
    Old Post of Mine.
    I have an 86 and this was the lit I had on it. The two pocs were scanned out of order but you can figure it out

    Epoxy Bonding
    Interesting read. Thanks.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  6. #6
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,278
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    It's not a roadie but a nice example of a Technium MTB. This is a 1989. It was the first year for cantis on the front & rear, last year for the wishbone seat stays, 1" headset and 130mm spacing in the rear. It weighs almost as much as my 1989 Rockhopper comp.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found how to decipher the serial number and it was built the 102 day of 1986.
    That confirms that the cranks that have a 91 date code are not original to the bike. I suspect that the shifters are also not original. The light action derailers are dating 86 as well so I think those are original bits.

    I think it is destined to be a single speed! The world sport may give up its cranks to it and the wheels to the wifes Mixte. Sell the frame bare.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  8. #8
    Senior Member peripatetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    All 70s and 80s, only steel.
    Posts
    2,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,556
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello Grim. while I am no Raleigh expert, as others have pointed out the Technium was their first Aluminum bike frames. I believe like cannondale they used one frame for all models. (1 road frame 1 touring frame) it certainly sounds like the wheels atleast are not original.

    it seems no one has addressed you BB height question. I think the reason for this that the Technium line was aimed at entry level racers and the most comom 'road race' here in America is the Criterium. some companies that made 'Griterium geomentry' frames used a slightly higher BB to give more cornering clearance. and as you have noticed unless you take the time to stand and measure you would not notice tha difference.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  10. #10
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    Hello Grim. while I am no Raleigh expert, as others have pointed out the Technium was their first Aluminum bike frames. I believe like cannondale they used one frame for all models. (1 road frame 1 touring frame) it certainly sounds like the wheels atleast are not original.

    it seems no one has addressed you BB height question. I think the reason for this that the Technium line was aimed at entry level racers and the most comom 'road race' here in America is the Criterium. some companies that made 'Griterium geomentry' frames used a slightly higher BB to give more cornering clearance. and as you have noticed unless you take the time to stand and measure you would not notice tha difference.
    Thanks
    I have been trying to find one on the net the same color combination and the only model I found with the plum head tube was a 460 and it seems to be a less common model. I am finding references that this was considered a "touring" or "sport touring" model despite it have two ring cranks.

    I think the wheels are original. They are correct for the the time period. The 105 cranks are newer then the bike (1991). The pictures I found appear to show Sugino GT style cranks as being original. I haven't pulled the shifters to date them but I suspect they are not original either. That leaves the light action and the date correctly to the frame. So it appears to be fitted with the exact same drivetrain as my wife's 1987 Terry Gambit or this 88 World Sport I have. The WS is rough and may be parted for the cranks and I'll sell the 105's separate.

    The handle bars are not original either. I have not found another bike with them. They all show more traditional stem and bars that would be typical of any mid 80's bike. The WS may give up it set and I'll sell that frame naked to a hipster for a single speed conversion.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some Raleigh Technium frames break at the point of the downtube shifter bosses. Not trying to scare you or rain on your parade. Not sure if that problem was limited to certain years or models. Bears watching, and maybe periodic close inspections or a bit of research.

  12. #12
    Senior Member FLBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few of those on the bay and CL lately. Some decent deals, but I'm not much for aluminum.
    I wanna ride!
    '90ish Giant Perigee

  13. #13
    Steel80's vinfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    Zebra, Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 460 just like the one you have. I found it to be a bit clumsy, and tall for a 23". Raleigh's seem to run that way. For a partly aluminum bike, it wasn't any lighter than a typical 23# steel bike. Seemed like an OK mid-level sport road bike, just wasn't for me so I passed it on to a friend.

  14. #14
    `
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grim, I have a 1986 480 similar to yours. I picked it up a few years back for next to nothing. It's my beater so it is still basically stock. I believe everything is Suntour LePree. It rides nice and sometime I find myself riding it even when I could be riding one of my nicer bikes.

    Anyway, I can check it out when I get home and let you know what's on it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700s and a few others
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinfix View Post
    I had a 460 just like the one you have. I found it to be a bit clumsy, and tall for a 23". Raleigh's seem to run that way. For a partly aluminum bike, it wasn't any lighter than a typical 23# steel bike. Seemed like an OK mid-level sport road bike, just wasn't for me so I passed it on to a friend.



    I thought this was a 25 inch frame from the standover when I was looking at it and the tires were flat. Turns out it has an unusually high bottom bracket for a road bike and why I though it may have been a cyclcross bike. It has a 34 inch stand over and it is a 23 inch frame. My T700 is a 25 inch frame with a 35 inch stand over. This bike has a BB height common to mountain bikes.
    You cant have a signature unless it fits in this box

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My new (to me) Raleigh Technium

    I just purchased this bike but I am not picking it up until Sunday. I am pretty excited because it will be my first road bike.


  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post


    It's not a roadie but a nice example of a Technium MTB. This is a 1989. It was the first year for cantis on the front & rear, last year for the wishbone seat stays, 1" headset and 130mm spacing in the rear. It weighs almost as much as my 1989 Rockhopper comp.
    Darn I like the look of the rear triangle on this bike! Does anybody else make a wishbone chainstay MTB frame anymore?

  18. #18
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,534
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsandoval View Post
    I just purchased this bike but I am not picking it up until Sunday. I am pretty excited because it will be my first road bike.

    You are one lucky dog.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  19. #19
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,278
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemeister View Post
    Darn I like the look of the rear triangle on this bike! Does anybody else make a wishbone chainstay MTB frame anymore?
    Not that I know. It's really a unique look. I bought the bike a few years ago to strip for parts. It was so nice that I can't bring myself to strip it. So, it sits in the garage waiting for someone to ride it. I think I have my wife convinced it should be her bike.
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  20. #20
    Death fork? Naaaah!! top506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The other Maine, north of RT 2
    My Bikes
    '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '84 Shogun 500, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
    Posts
    3,125
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemeister View Post
    Darn I like the look of the rear triangle on this bike! Does anybody else make a wishbone chainstay MTB frame anymore?
    Iron Horse and K2, for sure. Can't think of any others until the coffee kicks in.
    Top
    You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

  21. #21
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Technium" was a method of building bikes, and Raleigh-USA used the design and technology for a broad spectrum of bikes. My favorite Techniums were made with Reynolds 753 main tubes.

    tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •