Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Not C&V but is bike riding related.

    Seeing how I hang out on here at C&V more than anywhere else, I thought that I would share with you guys and gals that today I did my first ever "Century Ride".

    My local bike club does an annual event and I had done the "Metric Century" last year and decided to go for the full 100 miles this time. I did the first half of the ride as part of a group from my Monday night ride and the second half I did solo. The others in the group were doing the Metric Century.

    I averaged a 4:16 per mile rate over the entire somewhat hilly and breezy course.

    100 miles is a long way on a bike.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

  2. #2
    Passista Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Posts
    4,641
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. Congrats!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, it was a bit breezy today in MI. I did a solo 60, over a bumpy, hilly course.

    It was a gorgeous day, though, apart from the wind, which seems to blow in my face no matter which direction I ride!

    Quote Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
    Seeing how I hang out on here at C&V more than anywhere else, I thought that I would share with you guys and gals that today I did my first ever "Century Ride".

    My local bike club does an annual event and I had done the "Metric Century" last year and decided to go for the full 100 miles this time. I did the first half of the ride as part of a group from my Monday night ride and the second half I did solo. The others in the group were doing the Metric Century.

    I averaged a 4:16 per mile rate over the entire somewhat hilly and breezy course.

    100 miles is a long way on a bike.

  4. #4
    SNARKY MEMBER CardiacKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Austin
    Posts
    2,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job. Next time try it on a C&V bike. I did my second century on a 1989 Pinarello and am planning to do the next one on my 1974 Hetchins. Unfortunately, injuries have delayed those plans.
    I got a lot of positive feedback from the other participants about the Pinarello.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Fast Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy View Post
    apart from the wind, which seems to blow in my face no matter which direction I ride!
    Isn't that the truth...I swear sometimes the wind is having good sport with me.

    Congrats to the op...You're a braver man than I. I'll bet you were worn out after that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW Ohio
    My Bikes
    1984 Miyata 310, 1989 Club Fuji, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    Great job. Next time try it on a C&V bike. I did my second century on a 1989 Pinarello and am planning to do the next one on my 1974 Hetchins. Unfortunately, injuries have delayed those plans.
    I got a lot of positive feedback from the other participants about the Pinarello.
    I did my first and so far only century on a 1984 Miyata, but it was when the bike was only 2 years old. Does it still count as a C&V ride?

  7. #7
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,275
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompiere View Post
    I did my first and so far only century on a 1984 Miyata, but it was when the bike was only 2 years old. Does it still count as a C&V ride?
    I have the question, having done the Los Angeles Wheelmen double in June 1972, 15 months after buying my Nishiki. Of course, if I were to do a century today, it would be on a vintage bike -- I keep thinking Capo #1 would be ideal for a similar long ride, with flats and rolling hills, but no steep climbs.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  8. #8
    brain damaged bovine muccapazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers
    My Bikes
    Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport
    Posts
    625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    Great job. Next time try it on a C&V bike. I did my second century on a 1989 Pinarello and am planning to do the next one on my 1974 Hetchins. Unfortunately, injuries have delayed those plans.
    I got a lot of positive feedback from the other participants about the Pinarello.
    What did he do it on, I didn't see where he mentioned the bike? I'm hoping to do my first in late august. I went on a metric century group ride yesterday on my '84 Bianchi Limited. Rode great and think I bent the B-17 to mein will! stopped for a little break on the way back as the sag wagon was helping another rider with a flat. It left anf not 100 yards done the road I got a "punc-cha". Good thing my brother was there with a presta pump as the pump I grabbed before we left was set up for a schrader valve. And I was mildly rebuked for not having a helmet. I usually don't wear one but I brought it along because i figured there would be some legal rule, but my brother who always wears a helmet forgot his, so I loaned it to him. Anyway it was a pretty day and I learned some useful lessons about organization. How much harder is the Imperial century? Any training tips for success? For me that extra 38 miles would probably mean another 2 and a half to three hours.

  9. #9
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,709
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
    Seeing how I hang out on here at C&V more than anywhere else, I thought that I would share with you guys and gals that today I did my first ever "Century Ride".

    I averaged a 4:16 per mile rate over the entire somewhat hilly and breezy course.

    100 miles is a long way on a bike.
    Yep, it is, and you have time to sightsee, suffer, be consistent, lose confidence, gain confidence, talk with people, and just generally spend a good day out there. Not an easy day, but a good day. And you really get to know your bike. Congratulations on a "marker" ride.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2014 Wraith Hustle
    2014 Wraith Paycheck (pending)

  10. #10
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,709
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muccapazza View Post
    What did he do it on, I didn't see where he mentioned the bike? I'm hoping to do my first in late august. I went on a metric century group ride yesterday on my '84 Bianchi Limited. Rode great and think I bent the B-17 to mein will! stopped for a little break on the way back as the sag wagon was helping another rider with a flat. It left anf not 100 yards done the road I got a "punc-cha". Good thing my brother was there with a presta pump as the pump I grabbed before we left was set up for a schrader valve. And I was mildly rebuked for not having a helmet. I usually don't wear one but I brought it along because i figured there would be some legal rule, but my brother who always wears a helmet forgot his, so I loaned it to him. Anyway it was a pretty day and I learned some useful lessons about organization. How much harder is the Imperial century? Any training tips for success? For me that extra 38 miles would probably mean another 2 and a half to three hours.
    IMHO, a metric century feel like less than half of a full 100-miler. When I hit the halfway point on a metric century (provided I don't get lost and add miles), I feel pretty good and the second half feels fine.

    To me, the "halfway" point on a 100-miler is about 65-70 miles in. You're no longer fresh, you've already been tired, got a second wind, have needed and taken liquids and food, and you still have 30 miles to go. My touring friends take it in stride, I have yet to feel that way.

    As someone who's run many marathons, a 50-miler, and an 80-miler, give me the ride any day. Those runners are nuts.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2014 Wraith Hustle
    2014 Wraith Paycheck (pending)

  11. #11
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muccapazza View Post
    What did he do it on, I didn't see where he mentioned the bike?
    I did the Century on my Cannondale Synapse Alloy. It is simply a great bike.


    Yep, it is, and you have time to sightsee, suffer, be consistent, lose confidence, gain confidence, talk with people, and just generally spend a good day out there. Not an easy day, but a good day. And you really get to know your bike. Congratulations on a "marker" ride.
    I saw places in the area I'd never seen before. And I rode on roads I didn't even know existed. You are quite correct on the confidence end, too. It really ebbs and flows throughout the day.

    To me, the "halfway" point on a 100-miler is about 65-70 miles in. You're no longer fresh, you've already been tired, got a second wind, have needed and taken liquids and food, and you still have 30 miles to go. My touring friends take it in stride, I have yet to feel that way.
    Oh man, you hit the nail on the head. We had various SAG stations along the way but at the 67 mile point I was really starting to feel it. I had to grind out those last 35 miles.

    I almost forgot to add that I did see a couple of C&V bikes out on the road today. One was a semi-modernized blue Trek from the mid 80's that was all Dura-Ace equipped. The other was a green Masi Gran Criterium. Very nice bikes.
    Last edited by cb400bill; 07-13-09 at 08:18 AM.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

  12. #12
    slow as I ever was Ex Pres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    an imposter living in the 35223
    Posts
    5,787
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, I've only done a few myself, the last couple on my Guerciotti, albeit updated with 8s Ergo. I find the wall at about ~75 miles/4 hours saddle time. Particularly pitiful for those last 15. Hopefully that will change.
    72 special CNC ______ 72 Frejus (ala Legnano) _73 Holdsworth Record
    80 Ranson__________ 80 unknown French____ 83 Trek 600 (620 styled)
    85 Gianni Motta_____ 90 Miele Gara ________ 02 Casati Dardo #1
    02 Casati Dardo #2 __ 03 Casati Dardo ______ 08 BF IRO (fixed/SS)
    09 Dogma FPX magn_ 10 Vassago Fisticuff (IGH)

    For Sale: _________ 78 Raleigh Professional __ 82 Peugeot PXN10
    85 Trek 560_______ 88 Guerciotti GLX

  13. #13
    SNARKY MEMBER CardiacKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Austin
    Posts
    2,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muccapazza View Post
    How much harder is the Imperial century? Any training tips for success? For me that extra 38 miles would probably mean another 2 and a half to three hours.
    I generally think of a Metric as being a fun ride. The last 38 miles can be painful, depending on the conditions. But that is what makes it rewarding. If it was easy, onyone could do it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job! I did the MS150 (75 per day) in Mid Michigan..I decided to NOT take the century route...

    Kudos to you!!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,973
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't ridden a century in a long while and hope to later this summer, but I have been doing 60 mile/100K rides pretty regularly, including one with no stops (when I got hungry, I ate while on the bike). That kind of regular riding makes my 30-mile route feel like a snack. That's a good thing.

    Neal

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bam42685's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Big Rapids, MI
    My Bikes
    81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the ride. The longest I've been so far was 87 miles from where I live in Kalamazoo to South Haven and back. The last 10 miles just about killed me. It was a ton of fun though.

  17. #17
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    8,050
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam42685 View Post
    Congratulations on the ride. The longest I've been so far was 87 miles from where I live in Kalamazoo to South Haven and back. The last 10 miles just about killed me. It was a ton of fun though.
    It's down hill from KZ to SH. But it is uphill coming home.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •