in the flurry of DL1 threads recently, i realized i had never posted pics of my DL1-- a 1951, but far from original. i picked this up a couple of years ago in rough shape, with a lot of non-original and missing parts. rear wheel was bent beyond repair. headset and BB needed replacing. fortunately i scored a huge DL1 parts lot at a swap meet and was able to take the best parts from that and try to recreate a decent, though by no means period-correct, DL1. frame, fenders, chaincase, rack and hubs are original as far as i can tell. i removed the rear 1951 hub internals and inserted them into a 1980 hub shell that was already laced to a good 1980 westwood rim (easy way to replace the trashed rear rim). while i was at it, i swapped out the stock 18T cog for a 22T to help with the somerville hills! pedals, grips and headlight are 70s vintage, as are some of the brake bits. i serviced the headset and bottom bracket (needed a new spindle, original was pitted...found a good one at a local bike co-op), as well as the hubs (1951 hub internals were in great shape except for the clutch, which i replaced with NOS). dynohub works great, the taillight is surprisingly bright. the paint had seen lots of rattle-can touchups but since large sections were original and in good shape, i chose to just wipe it down and leave as is. there is remarkably little surface rust on this frame.
this is the most relaxed riding bike i own. it's a joy to ride around town, and the brakes are surprisingly...adequate (as long as i don't ride in the rain!). i'm inspired by veloria's threads to swap out the tires (not original, but not exactly reliable either-- taken from the DL1 parts lot) with schwalbe delta cruisers in cream. then again, i *really* don't want to have to take that rear wheel off again...
original taillight (wired my way):
original chaincase is in rough shape, but the fit is perfect: zero chain rub or slap!
teardrop headlight is newer vintage. note the non-original wiring setup. i never liked the way that raleigh ran their dynamo wiring-- it was sloppy. having worked for years with electrical circuits and wiring, i just had to do it differently.
original dynohub. note that i'm running only a single conductor to the switch and using the bike's frame as the second conductor:
DL1 posed next to my wife's 1973 union, which was built in the netherlands: