Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-09, 07:03 PM   #1
KtotheF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KtotheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Freewheel friction..

just finished building my guerciotti, and took it for a spin around the block. for it I bought this IRD freewheel: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2357

but while riding, I noticed a slight friction pedaling, at first I thought the wheel was rubbing against the frame slightly, it was quite noticeable. But that wasn't it, and the new bottom bracket was super smooth also. What does that sound like to you guys? The freewheel is right out of the box, does it need to be oiled?
KtotheF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 07:10 PM   #2
Steve530
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Bikes: Klein
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you're pedaling, the pawls in the freewheel body lock-up. The cogs don't move in relation to the body, so there can't be friction.

Maybe the wheel bearings are too tight.
Steve530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 09:48 PM   #3
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pedals? hubs? Brakes rubbing?
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 10:20 PM   #4
luker
juneeaa memba!
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: boogled up in...Idaho!
Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...
Posts: 5,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My. Freewheel problems abounding. If your freewheel is binding, it will carry the cranks around when you spin the wheel in a bikestand. Try it. If the bike acts like a fixed gear, you gotta lube that freewheel somehow.
luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 11:41 PM   #5
abarth
Я люблю суп
 
abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I once had a freewheel that binded. Turning the rear wheel caused the crank to turn also. Lubed it with grease then oil, loosen the top race, nothing helped. Discovered an extra ball during disassemble, took the ball out and every ran smooth.
abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 12:33 AM   #6
KtotheF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KtotheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's sorta difficult to explain, you know when you get up to speed, and then you pedal slowly, it feels like there's no resistance? with this, there is a slight resistance, when i pedal forward or backward. i thought it might be the pulleys in the rear derailleur, but they seem to be fine
KtotheF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 06:02 AM   #7
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 13,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
If your pedal freewheel friction is taken out of the equation.

Coast, if the chain sage along the top side between the freewheel and chainring there high resistenve in the freewheel.

Take your feet off the pedal, if the chainwheeel cmoves as you coast theres very high resistence in the freewheel.
__________________
WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus
miamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 06:29 AM   #8
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Bikes: 1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
Posts: 7,278
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Wd40

I find lots of old bikes and it is quite often necessary to free up the freewheel. Though I do not use WD40 as a lubricant, it is a good cleaner and freewheel freeeupper.

Remove the rear wheel and rotate the freewheel. Do you feel drag as you spin it? If so, lay the wheel on its side with the freewheel facing up and add a bit of WD40 to the joint, allow the liquid to seep in while spinning the freewheel. You might need to do this a couple of times but do not go crazy with the WD40. When the liquid does its job you will immediately feel the freewheel free up.

Next, add a really light oil to the same joint on the freewheel, again spinning the freewheel slowly to allow the light oil to seep in. I use very light transmission oil for this task. Hope this helps.
randyjawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 06:40 AM   #9
duffer1960
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Fred cycles
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtotheF View Post
just finished building my guerciotti, and took it for a spin around the block. for it I bought this IRD freewheel: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2357

but while riding, I noticed a slight friction pedaling, at first I thought the wheel was rubbing against the frame slightly, it was quite noticeable. But that wasn't it, and the new bottom bracket was super smooth also. What does that sound like to you guys? The freewheel is right out of the box, does it need to be oiled?
Chain in bad condition, not lubed?
Is the chainline bad -- does it tack sideways from the chainring to the freewheel?
Are you used to riding a single speed? Maybe it's typical, normal drag for a multispeed?
duffer1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 04:45 PM   #10
KtotheF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KtotheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
If your pedal freewheel friction is taken out of the equation.

Coast, if the chain sage along the top side between the freewheel and chainring there high resistenve in the freewheel.

Take your feet off the pedal, if the chainwheeel cmoves as you coast theres very high resistence in the freewheel.
nope, neither of these things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
I find lots of old bikes and it is quite often necessary to free up the freewheel. Though I do not use WD40 as a lubricant, it is a good cleaner and freewheel freeeupper.

Remove the rear wheel and rotate the freewheel. Do you feel drag as you spin it? If so, lay the wheel on its side with the freewheel facing up and add a bit of WD40 to the joint, allow the liquid to seep in while spinning the freewheel. You might need to do this a couple of times but do not go crazy with the WD40. When the liquid does its job you will immediately feel the freewheel free up.

Next, add a really light oil to the same joint on the freewheel, again spinning the freewheel slowly to allow the light oil to seep in. I use very light transmission oil for this task. Hope this helps.
I will give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer1960 View Post
Chain in bad condition, not lubed?
Is the chainline bad -- does it tack sideways from the chainring to the freewheel?
Are you used to riding a single speed? Maybe it's typical, normal drag for a multispeed?
nope, new chain, lubed. I'm used to riding a cassette/freehub, so I thought possibly it was just a quality of freewheels, but I don't think so
KtotheF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 05:43 PM   #11
KtotheF
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KtotheF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks randyjawa! Flushed it with wd40, much, much better, and I can actually hear the pawls, I thought it was supposed to be that quiet.
KtotheF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 07:20 PM   #12
dbakl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
Though I do not use WD40 as a lubricant,
Spray some in a container and see what's left when the propellant evaporates.

Oil.

Its an ok lubricant where thin oil would be used...
dbakl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 07:31 PM   #13
illwafer
)) <> ((
 
illwafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
Remove the rear wheel and rotate the freewheel. Do you feel drag as you spin it? If so, lay the wheel on its side with the freewheel facing up and add a bit of WD40 to the joint, allow the liquid to seep in while spinning the freewheel. You might need to do this a couple of times but do not go crazy with the WD40. When the liquid does its job you will immediately feel the freewheel free up.
i do this with motor oil and it works well, albeit slightly messy since i pour it out of the bottle.
illwafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.