Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Vintage Gt

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Vintage Gt

    I've noticed a lack of the beloved(or hated depends on who you ask)"Triple Triangle".Lets see some photos of your old GT.Here's mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Deathcycle; 11-09-09 at 04:01 PM.

  2. #2
    surly old man jgedwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.
    Posts
    3,300
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a thing for GT's. I would love to find a road bike to play with, but have not run into one yet. I have a handful of MTBs though. Only one I have a picture of is my not-so special Outpost that is my Winter bike. I also have a Tequesta, another smaller Outpost that my son rides, and a very early ("before triple triangle") chrome one that is interesting.


    jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cross Check Nexus7, IRO Mark V, Trek 620 Nexus7, Karate Monkey half fat, IRO Model 19 fixed, Amp Research B3, Surly 1x1 half fat fixed, and more...
    --------------------------
    SB forever

  3. #3
    i'll probably break it 91MF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always wanted a GT pulse track bike.
    one time i bid on a complete setup that was up on ebay.
    it was perfect.
    it had all the bits i would have put on if i had started with a bare frame/fork.
    i called for my wife to come and gaze upon the photos of this fantastic bike.
    four minutes before the auction ended it got financially out of my league.
    i remember looking at my wife and she said, 'you'll have to sell the others'... i closed the laptop.
    Last edited by 91MF; 11-09-09 at 09:25 PM.
    bike. throw. #MFDCR

  4. #4
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1998 GT track bike gets a lot of attention and it rides very well:


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a real beauty! I've seen that bike in another thread and always wanted to ask about that bulge in the top tube.
    Last edited by Deathcycle; 11-10-09 at 08:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgedwa View Post
    I have a thing for GT's. I would love to find a road bike to play with, but have not run into one yet. I have a handful of MTBs though. Only one I have a picture of is my not-so special Outpost that is my Winter bike. I also have a Tequesta, another smaller Outpost that my son rides, and a very early ("before triple triangle") chrome one that is interesting.


    jim
    I got lucky when I ran across my "Force" for $50.It needed a bit of tlc but it was well worth the effort.BTW there's no such thing as a "not so special" GT.
    Last edited by Deathcycle; 11-10-09 at 08:17 AM.

  7. #7
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,695
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not quite sure when GT started to produce road bikes but I think yours with the brifters might be a bit new for C&V. a Shogun on the other had.....
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old '96 Timberline.I bashed the crap of that thing before retiring her for a road bike.I still love her though!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    I am not quite sure when GT started to produce road bikes but I think yours with the brifters might be a bit new for C&V. a Shogun on the other had.....
    It's a '99. Probably not vintage but she's still a dinosaur compared to today's road bikes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Miele Azsora
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcycle View Post
    That's a real beauty! I've seen that bike in another thread and always wanted to ask about that bulge in the top tube.
    It's a top tube protector. You seem them on brakeless track bikes because without brakes to stop them, the handlebars will swing right around and ding the top tube.

    You also see them on tarck bikes for street cred.
    1988 Miele Azsora

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91MF View Post
    i always wanted a GT pulse track bike.
    one time i bid on a complete setup that was up on ebay.
    it was perfect.
    it had all the bits i would have put on if i had started with a bare frame/fork.
    i called for my wife to come and gaze upon the photos of this fantastic bike.
    four minutes before the auction ended it got financially out of my league.
    i remember looking at my wife and she said, 'you'll have to sell the others'... i closed the laptop.
    I did the same with a Gt Edge Ti bike.It jumped from $80 to $600 in the last 5 minutes of bidding.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcycle View Post
    I've noticed a lack of the beloved(or hated depends on who you ask)"Triple Triangle".Lets see some photos of your old GT.Here's mine.
    Here's My '90's something GT CONTINUUM with 650B wheels and tires to replace the 700D tires that came with it. I bought the bike a few years back in a second hand store for $10.00 and have put about $150.00 into it.
    It's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/...c0f8940ae2.jpg
    Brad

  13. #13
    Senior Member embankmentlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North, Ga.
    My Bikes
    Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's
    Posts
    1,683
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
    Here's My '90's something GT CONTINUUM with 650B wheels and tires to replace the 700D tires that came with it. I bought the bike a few years back in a second hand store for $10.00 and have put about $150.00 into it.
    It's one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/...c0f8940ae2.jpg
    Brad
    Brad, I have that same bike. Mine still has the 700d tires & wheels. My plans are to make a 650B tourer out of it at some point with brifters & wracks. Did you put 650b tires on the 700d rims or to you have complete 650b wheels?
    It also looks like you have updated the parts quite a bit. Mine has the original suntour group, It works well enough but just feels very cheep.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rugerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love GT's.
    My 1994ish GT Talera.
    It was my winter commuter bike last year. Now, it's just my every day commuter bike, i loved it so much.

    I have to take new pics though. It now sports drop bars, bar end shifters, and 26 X 1.25" tires.



    Locked up at school.


    By the way, Deathcycle, I love your bike!!! It's very hot.
    MOLON LABE

  15. #15
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this Karokoram used in 1993 and still have it today. It was my first "good" bike and I loved how it rode and how it looked and that is why I bought the 1998 track bike above, I just like GTs


  16. #16
    Senior Member mparker326's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    74 Schwinn Paramount P10, 88 Fisher Montare
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could have only one bike, I'd keep my 94 Karakorum.

    For the last few years, I've used it primarily as a commuter & kid hauler. Last spring, I put it back to its original mountain bike form.


  17. #17
    Senior Member love2pedal.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    My Bikes
    Look 586, Condor Baracchi, Litespeed
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked for GT (Riteway) from 1997 until they went bankrupt and were sold to Pacific in 2001 (I was an outside sales rep based in the midwest).

    The guys who did the bike design and production were incredibly passionate about producing great bikes and took a lot of pride in it. I loved my Zaskar! (and later a ZR 2.0 road bike).

    What they tried to do was admirable. But I think once the driving force behind the company died (Richard Long) in a tragic accident and the burden of a big U.S. manufacturing facility became too great, the slide downhill had too much momentum to stop. It was a shame the company fell apart.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,998
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    I am not quite sure when GT started to produce road bikes but I think yours with the brifters might be a bit new for C&V....
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcycle View Post
    It's a '99. Probably not vintage but she's still a dinosaur compared to today's road bikes. .....
    I believe you could argue against any GT road bicycle being vintage, including the OP's.

  19. #19
    Senior Member scbvideoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GT RTS3 in storage.

  20. #20
    the darkness DARTHVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd say not really vintage as it's built in the mid 90's by a very qualified builder...
    had the original builder build me a new fork in the original style. i gotta paint it.

    help.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Oldpeddaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maidstone, Kent, England
    My Bikes
    1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, no pictures but I've goy an old GT Triple triangle MTB and my son has a brand new GT Outpost with disc brakes and alloy frame (replacement for his stolen Barracuda Zombie). He used my GT after the 'Cuda was stolen for his commute in London and liked it so much he got a new one on the insurance.
    Oldpeddaller - The older I get, the better I used to be !!!" ***** If at first you don't succeed - hit it with a hammer.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  22. #22
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1996 GT Karakoram...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker326 View Post
    If I could have only one bike, I'd keep my 94 Karakorum.


    Purple Haze!!

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DARTHVADER View Post
    i'd say not really vintage as it's built in the mid 90's by a very qualified builder...
    had the original builder build me a new fork in the original style. i gotta paint it.

    soooooo pretty

  25. #25
    i'll probably break it 91MF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that 'america, f**k yeah!' paint scheme rules.
    bike. throw. #MFDCR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •