Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member kbpfister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    85 Nishiki Riviera GT, 69 Schwinn Super Sport(fixed conversion), 80's Olmo Professionisti, 80's Univega Mixte
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New paint-about to chase & Face BB- prep?

    Just got a frame painted, I'm going to chase and face the bottom bracket shell tonight. as well as face the headtube.

    I was wondering if there is anything you do before to ensure that the paint doesn't crack or peel off as you face the edges of the shell, I've done this on powdercoated bikes before but never on a freshly painted frame.

    62 CM Claud Butler, Reynolds 531, Carbon Fork, custom paint, $250.00 photos: http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/q...FISTER/Claude/

  2. #2
    Senior Member Elev12k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    (Koga) Miyata, WTB, Fat Chance, Mountain Goat, Grove, Verlicchi, Rafty, Panasonic, Vitus, Gazelle, Batavus, Zieleman, Presto, Peka, RIH, Reus, Vittorio, Simon, Duell, Fongers, Concorde, Alan, Zebrakenko, Raleigh
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While ago I got 2 frames back from the painter. With one I faced, with the other I didn't. In both everything sits fine. Apply sufficient grease afterwards!

  3. #3
    Senior Member wtgrantham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a frame professionally painted and my painter told me "don't worry about it." "Just put it back together"....so I did. No problems

  4. #4
    Senior Member mudboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Collegeville, PA
    My Bikes
    Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built
    Posts
    1,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting this in the framebuilder section wasn't enough?
    --~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--
    Ruckelshaus Randonneur Ruckelshaus Path Bomber
    Flickr Photostream
    FrameBuilderSource.com Framebuilder Database

  5. #5
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgrantham View Post
    I had a frame professionally painted and my painter told me "don't worry about it." "Just put it back together"....so I did. No problems
    I had a set of Guerciottis that had been recently painted, and I can guarantee you that "no problems" did not apply in those cases.

    -Kurt

  6. #6
    Senior Member jamesj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    1988 Raleigh Sport, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser
    Posts
    733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "chase and face the bottom bracket shell"

    what is that?

    i just bought a ratty 72 raleigh sport its black but the paint is rubbing on my hands and the fenders are pretty damn toast i want to have it painted a different color...
    so this is interesting.

  7. #7
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    11,840
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbpfister View Post
    Just got a frame painted, I'm going to chase and face the bottom bracket shell tonight. as well as face the headtube.

    I was wondering if there is anything you do before to ensure that the paint doesn't crack or peel off as you face the edges of the shell, I've done this on powdercoated bikes before but never on a freshly painted frame.
    Wait until the paint has had some time to harden, a few days at least. Use a file to lightly nick the paint on the faces so the tool has something to grab.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SJX426's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    My Bikes
    1972 Motobecane Le Champion (totaled), 1983 Colnago Superissimo, 1984 Trek 610, 1997 RockHopper, 1994 Burley Duet, 80's Pinarello Tre Cime, 80's Masi Gran Corsa
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 on letting the paint cure.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CMC SanDiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Ti Mongoose Pro-Cipressa w/DA, Giordana-XL Strada, Eddy Merckx OS Strada, Ti DBR-Mtn (hardtail), Fuji-Touring Series V, Raleigh SuperCourse X-tracycle, Burley Tandem
    Posts
    652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a difference in facing and chasing after paint vs. powder coating? I just got a bike back from the powder coater and the headtube definitely needs some work. The bottom bracket seems to be okay. I know this question will get me flamed but here goes anyway...Is there anyway to "do this at home" without the special tools?

  10. #10
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,142
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego View Post
    Is there a difference in facing and chasing after paint vs. powder coating? I just got a bike back from the powder coater and the headtube definitely needs some work. The bottom bracket seems to be okay. I know this question will get me flamed but here goes anyway...Is there anyway to "do this at home" without the special tools?
    Hand filing works but takes great skills and patience.

    In the old days apprentice machinists had to be able to do hand work that was equal to machine work to be considered fully qualified.

    Hand tooling a cube is damn hard work and takes precise measuring and an excellent touch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •