Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 102 of 220 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 5489
  1. #2526
    Senior Member sykerocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montpelier, VA
    My Bikes
    The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy View Post
    i can only imagine applying the front brake and seeing your pads go flinging off ahead of you as they shoot out from their carriers.
    I've seen it happen. Both to customers . . . . . . and to me, who, being a professional mechanic, was supposed to know better.
    Syke

    "No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

  2. #2527
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a wedding gift to my wife and I from my friend Phil:



    Had to put a few parts into it, otherwise, it is a great rider.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bike: 2008 Globe City 7

  3. #2528
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm brand new to these forums, so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong category, but I'm looking to buy a vintage English 3 speed (something like a Superbe or a Sports). I will admit that I am brand new to these kinds of bikes, but I just bought my wife a 1973 Raleigh LTD-3 from Craigsist and I have fallen head over heels in love with the old Raleighs, especially after reading about them and looking at the photos of them here (and on Sheldon Brown's website, etc.). I have been trying to find a decent 3 speed in my neck of the woods (Chapel Hill, NC) and I've searched ebay and local garage sales, but so far, no luck (a Superbe I looked at today was in pretty rough shape, including a wheel that I would have had to replace). So, I thought I'd see if anyone here is selling something that might work for me--or if you know someone to put me in touch with. I'm a 5'11" man and average build; I took a 23" Superbe around the block and it felt good, size-wise. I don't mind minor rust, cosmetic blemishes, or bikes that need some work, but I don't want something that's going to cost me an arm and a leg to make rideable. Thanks for any tips!

  4. #2529
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to those who sent me PMs. Apparently, I haven't earned my PM "privilege" yet (need to have 30+ posts, first), so if you PM me without an email address I don't think I can reply to thank you.

    On a related subject, any thoughts about this Raleigh Sports on ebay?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RALE...ht_5501wt_1215

    Bidding is now up to $310 (and I'd have to pay something like $100 more to ship it, I'm guessing). What do you think something like this--in what appears to be very good condition--is worth? I know, I know...very subjective. But I appreciate any thoughts.

  5. #2530
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm at it, I thought I'd post two other ebay bikes. One is a Phillips (supposedly made by Raleigh) and one is a Sears--any thoughts? I don't know anything about either manufacturer.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_6809wt_982


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-mens-3...#ht_500wt_1215

  6. #2531
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    Thanks to those who sent me PMs. Apparently, I haven't earned my PM "privilege" yet (need to have 30+ posts, first), so if you PM me without an email address I don't think I can reply to thank you.

    On a related subject, any thoughts about this Raleigh Sports on ebay?


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RALE...ht_5501wt_1215

    Bidding is now up to $310 (and I'd have to pay something like $100 more to ship it, I'm guessing). What do you think something like this--in what appears to be very good condition--is worth? I know, I know...very subjective. But I appreciate any thoughts.
    Be careful here; 25 bids and only two bidders plus one has no bidding history so he could be a shill. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by gbalke; 10-01-11 at 03:42 PM.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  7. #2532
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    While I'm at it, I thought I'd post two other ebay bikes. One is a Phillips (supposedly made by Raleigh) and one is a Sears--any thoughts? I don't know anything about either manufacturer.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_6809wt_982

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-mens-3...#ht_500wt_1215
    Of the two, IMHO, the Philips would be the better choice over the Sears. Plus the seller of the Philips has been selling some quality bicycles for some time and his pricing has always seemed to be resonable.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  8. #2533
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalke View Post
    Be careful here; 25 bids and only two bidders plus one has no bidding history so he could be a shill. Just my opinion.
    Good point. Could be a scam, for sure. Thanks for looking out!.

  9. #2534
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalke View Post
    Of the two, IMHO, the Philips would be the better choice over the Sears. Plus the seller of the Philips has been selling some quality bicycles for some time and his pricing has always seemed to be resonable.
    Thanks for the advice. I like the Phillips, based on aesthetics, and it looks clean enough and the price seems fair (but what do I know?). I'm concerned about the shifter not working. If it's just a shifter cable, that'd be cheap enough to fix, I assume, but what if the problem is in th ehub itself? I wrote the seller to ask for clarification.

  10. #2535
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I like the Phillips, based on aesthetics, and it looks clean enough and the price seems fair (but what do I know?). I'm concerned about the shifter not working. If it's just a shifter cable, that'd be cheap enough to fix, I assume, but what if the problem is in th ehub itself? I wrote the seller to ask for clarification.
    The Strumey Archer 3 speed hubs are pretty much indestructable, and are easy enough to adjust with the right references such as Sheldon Brown's web site such as Retro Raleighs: http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/ Follow some of the links found there.

    I recently restored a Raleigh Twenty folding bike where the previous owner removed the shifting trigger and cable and had grease or durt packed in the opening where the shifting indicator goes. With a little WD-40 to flush out the opening and some patience, I soon had it operating like new.

    Replacement cables, if needed, are available from any good bike shop.
    Last edited by gbalke; 10-01-11 at 05:25 PM.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  11. #2536
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalke View Post
    The Strumey Archer 3 speed hubs are pretty much indestructable, and are easy enough to adjust with the right references such as Sheldon Brown's web site such as Retro Raleighs: http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/ Follow some of the links found there.

    I recently restored a Raleigh Twenty folding bike where the previous owner removed the shifting trigger and cable and had grease or durt packed in the opening where the shifting indicator goes. With a little WD-40 to flush out the opening and some patience, I soon had it operating like new.

    Replacement cables, if needed, are available from any good bike shop.
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the auction for the Phillips and if I can get it for a reasonable price, I'll go for it.

  12. #2537
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    My Bikes
    '69 Hercules, '67 Raleigh Sports, '78 Raleigh Tourist
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the auction for the Phillips and if I can get it for a reasonable price, I'll go for it.
    The Phillips looks beautiful, however it looks to me like a 21" size. The Raleigh you posted was a 23" size. Some people ride both comfortably, but a 21" is definitely too small for me while a 23" is just right.

  13. #2538
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighBikeGuy View Post
    The Phillips looks beautiful, however it looks to me like a 21" size. The Raleigh you posted was a 23" size. Some people ride both comfortably, but a 21" is definitely too small for me while a 23" is just right.
    I think you are right. I don't know much about sizing, but this is what the ebay seller posted about the size:

    "*DIMENSIONS The stand over height is approx 30 1/4". The distance from the floor to the top of the seat post clamp is approx 30 1/2". The distance from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post clamp is approx 21". The center of the handlebar stem to the center of the seat post is approx 21 1/2". The bike will accommodate most any rider comfortably. The seat height is easy to adjust."

  14. #2539
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    My Bikes
    '69 Hercules, '67 Raleigh Sports, '78 Raleigh Tourist
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    I think you are right. I don't know much about sizing, but this is what the ebay seller posted about the size:

    "*DIMENSIONS The stand over height is approx 30 1/4". The distance from the floor to the top of the seat post clamp is approx 30 1/2". The distance from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post clamp is approx 21". The center of the handlebar stem to the center of the seat post is approx 21 1/2". The bike will accommodate most any rider comfortably. The seat height is easy to adjust."
    Yes, these bikes were sized according to the seat tube length. The common men's sizes were 21" and 23". The top tubes were the same for both sizes: 22".

  15. #2540
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,854
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That green Raleigh is a top-notch specimen.

    If you don't get one of these three, use google alerts to help you find another one.

    Go to garage sales and estate sales and ask if they have bikes that are not on display. A lot of people don't value these bikes. I got two three speeds for $30 (for the pair!) at an estate sale, and one of them became my pride and joy. Look for my thread entitled 1962 Rudge or something like that.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  16. #2541
    Senior Member Ornery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Would this be considered sacrilegious?

    Bought this 1969 Sports when I was 13. It's too small for me now, but is my current daily commuter anyway.

  17. #2542
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Gary! Any progress on the Humber?

  18. #2543
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornery View Post

    Would this be considered sacrilegious?
    What aspect of this configuration do you suspect might be against the rules?

    Love the bags!

  19. #2544
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co View Post
    Hey Gary! Any progress on the Humber?
    Eric, I sent you a PM. Don't want to sidestep this post.

    And now back to the original post!!
    Last edited by gbalke; 10-02-11 at 10:44 AM.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  20. #2545
    Senior Member Ornery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co View Post
    What aspect of this configuration do you suspect might be against the rules?

    Love the bags!
    Most bikes in this thread are kept pretty original. I'm trying to keep mine as original as possible, yet ride electric. I wouldn't have done these modifications to a pristine Sports. As sturdy as these bikes are, the 40lbs of batteries are pushing its limits. Most build tribulations are here.

    I'm in the market for some original fenders. My fenders and chain guard were removed by my stupid self forty years ago, and thrown out by my dad a few years later.

    Enjoy your beautiful rides, and be proud. They truly don't make 'em like that anymore!

  21. #2546
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighBikeGuy View Post
    Yes, these bikes were sized according to the seat tube length. The common men's sizes were 21" and 23". The top tubes were the same for both sizes: 22".
    Thanks. I haven't ridden a 21", but the 23" I tried the other day felt about right. That's what people have said would be best for my 5'11" height, too, I think.

  22. #2547
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    That green Raleigh is a top-notch specimen.

    If you don't get one of these three, use google alerts to help you find another one.

    Go to garage sales and estate sales and ask if they have bikes that are not on display. A lot of people don't value these bikes. I got two three speeds for $30 (for the pair!) at an estate sale, and one of them became my pride and joy. Look for my thread entitled 1962 Rudge or something like that.
    Good advice. I DO like that green Raleigh but at $315 (probably closer to $400 by the time the auction ends) plus another $70+ for shipping, then a tune up at my LBS, I don't know if I can afford it. I'd love to stumble across a cheaper fixer-upper at an estate sale, garage sale, etc., as you suggest. I'll just try to be patient while I sit here drooling over these beautiful bikes--your 1962 Rudge included!

  23. #2548
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    Good advice. I DO like that green Raleigh but at $315 (probably closer to $400 by the time the auction ends) plus another $70+ for shipping, then a tune up at my LBS, I don't know if I can afford it. I'd love to stumble across a cheaper fixer-upper at an estate sale, garage sale, etc., as you suggest. I'll just try to be patient while I sit here drooling over these beautiful bikes--your 1962 Rudge included!
    Randy,

    If you're feeling adventurous, I have a '74 Coffee Brown 23" frame set with crank in my garage I could let go for a reasonable amount. You could then build up a bike to suit your style or desires for less than the e-Bay Sports. There's plenty of help available here, might even be a C&V member close to you thaat could offer some assistance. If interested, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send some photos your way.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  24. #2549
    Senior Member brianinc-ville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    733
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornery View Post

    Would this be considered sacrilegious?
    As long as you keep the meat in one pannier and the dairy in the other, you should be ok.

    Seriously, though, while it does look a little funny to me, I'm impressed (and confused?) that you somehow managed to make the original chainring work with what appear to be aluminum cranks and a tapered BB spindle. Is it somehow bolted to the chainring from the power assist?

  25. #2550
    Senior Member Ornery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it somehow bolted to the chainring from the power assist?

    Exactly. It's the only thing salvaged from the original bottom bracket, which was replaced by a trick freewheel, cranks and spindle from Sick Bike Parts. All the grueling details are outlined in links in this thread.


    Early Iteration

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •